Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta wonder if Sony can deviate too much from DXR/VulkanRT if they're thinking about porting 1st party titles to PC for the foreseeable future.
Considering PS uses a totally different API anyway, I doubt it would be a big problem in the porting process.
Even if it meant the implementation wasn't as ideal on PC.

Well his claim is even worse then. Now we have to factor in the variability of how software could perform better on one over the other.

now we need to bring drivers into the fold, API maturity, kit maturity, whether all the features are implemented well. Etc.
We can only know PS5 has more Flops from Klee's words. I agree we should consider other things which affect performance

Perhaps the player celebration is preferable to having jizz on our faces.

Indeed. I will never understand the joy of using random sexual innuendos despite the fact that I'm a male.
My only claim is there is no proof that Ariel/Oberon is carrying a monolithic APU, and regardless of what the PS5 ends up being, those devkits could have just a Navi 10 chip connected to some CPU (could be .
- There are no RT tests, nor any mention of RT at all;
- Performance results are completely in line with a Navi 10 with 1/9/18 WGPs enabled at 800/911/2000MHz;
- There are no CPU bandwidth tests claiming the CPU cores have access to 256bit GDDR6;
- There are no CPU tests at all (why wouldn't there be?);

So if it's a bunch of tests showing a GPU that perfectly matches a Navi 10 with up to 18 WGPs enabled and up to 2GHz core clocks, using variable GDDR6 clocks, and absolutely nothing else (no RT which is confirmed, no CPU, no storage), why should we skip Occam's Razor and assume Oberon isn't anything other than a devkit with just a Navi 10 in it?

Very well put. However, Gonzalo, which seems to be an earlier version of Ariel, was reportedly an APU.

Gnm is supposed to be very close to vulkan. So maybe not that big of a stretch. But Vulkan ray tracing not done yet.
I suppose it depends on definition of close?
Either way still needs to be portted.

This is just my view until we know more, but even if the actual implementation of RT is different the things it will be striving to do will be the same. So how different are the actual inputs, usage and output, may not be daunting to port.

Decima, desu ne
We only have Death Stranding so far and it was ported by 505. Supposing they just port games later, instead of developing cross platform purposefully, is there a need for specific api support?

I haven't found the requirements on PC for death stranding.....

We only have Death Stranding so far and it was ported by 505.
At least for the moment we only know that it's a publishing arrangement (perhaps not unlike Remedy's Control).

The Horizon rumour is a curious one.

Supposing they just port games later, instead of developing cross platform purposefully, is there a need for specific api support?

Shouldn't matter, but the whole point of the API is to make dev schedules easier. Since Vulkan RT isn't yet done, perhaps Sony is heavily informing on there anyway.

Last edited:
Gnm is supposed to be very close to vulkan. So maybe not that big of a stretch. But Vulkan ray tracing not done yet.

I was under the impression that GNM was an even lower level api than vulkan or PC DX12. I read some who use the analogy of C vs. assembly when comparing vulkan and gmn.

I’m guessing Sony is working on a low level api while wrapping with a higher level abstraction similar to what we have now.

Plus while there is no standardized RT on Vulkan, there is VKRay which is nvidia extension for the api. AMD supports RT on vulkan with Radeon Rays.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that GNM was an even lower level api than vulkan or PC DX12. I read some who use the analogy of C vs. assembly when comparing vulkan and gmn.

I’m guessing Sony is working on a low level api while wrapping with a higher level abstraction similar to what we have now.
shader languages would be equivalent to assembly since that's the only place you can call registers.

GNM is still an API, it's not a coding language. I feel like that is a poor analogy. The APIs are responsible for resource allocation, timing/synchronization, and memory management. Going more lower level would just imply that you have to do even more resource allocation, timing/synchronization, and memory management code yourself - where a slightly higher API, like DX12 it would do more of it for you and DX11 would do significantly more for you.

The bonus of being able to manage your items further could enable you to really optimize the heck out of everything. Cons are likely going to be around compatibility if you are cutting things very tightly.

GNM is still an API, it's not a coding language.
There's GNM, and (taking a cue from MS ;)) GNMX. GNMX is the high-level API (wrapper), similar to DX and Vulkan. GNM is something lower level. It's an API that'd probably screw with backwards compatibility...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-inside-playstation-4

Low-level access and the "wrapper" graphics API
In terms of rendering, there was some interesting news. Norden pointed out one of the principal weaknesses of DirectX 11 and OpenGL - they need to service a vast array of different hardware. The advantage of PlayStation 4 is that it's a fixed hardware platform, meaning that the specifics of the tech can be addressed directly. (It's worth pointing out at this point that the next-gen Xbox has hardware-specific extensions on top of the standard DX11 API.)

"We can significantly enhance performance by bypassing a lot of the artificial DirectX limitations and bottlenecks that are imposed so DirectX can work across a wide range of hardware," he revealed.

The development environment is designed to be flexible enough to get code up and running quickly, but offering the option for the more adventurous developers to get more out of the platform. To that end, PlayStation 4 has two rendering APIs.

"One of them is the absolute low-level API, you're talking directly to the hardware. It's used to draw the static RAM buffers and feed them directly to the GPU," Norden shared. "It's much, much lower level than you're used to with DirectX or OpenGL but it's not quite at the driver level. It's very similar if you've programmed PS3 or PS Vita, very similar to those graphics libraries."

But on top of that Sony is also providing what it terms a "wrapper API" that more closely resembles the standard PC rendering APIs.

"The key is that it doesn't sacrifice the efficiency of the low-level API. It's actually a wrapper on top of the low-level API that does a lot of the mundane tasks that you don't want to have to do over and over."

The cool thing about the wrapper API is that while its task is to simplify development, Sony actually provides the source code for it so if there's anything that developers don't get on with, they can adapt it themselves to better suit their project.

But - and excuse my utter ignorance here - if some games have been coded at the lowest level, not quite to the metal but as close as it gets, then surely that messes up BC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back