Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s the word on playing PS4 games with “PS5 enhancements” (bit like Pro patches) so that, say, all of us buying FF7 and TLOU2 can enjoy extras (RT? Please) when playing on ps5?
For games launching near PS5 release like TLoU2, I expect there's a PS5 version waiting in the wings. Nothing pushing the platform, but something ND could use to evaluate the platform a bit (although they may have a strong PS5 version). For retro PS4 titles, there won't be improvements on the same PS4 code beyond framerate, maybe resolution (especially in dynamic res games), unless they get patched.

Probably akin to mid-gen refresh patch rate. How many games got XB1X/PS4P Enchantments?

Imo. It may be a new generation, but it will feel very similar to the mid gen upgrade in both patches, performance boosts with no patches etc.

In terms of quality of experience, will feel like a gen upgrade straight away due to SSD.

I don't expect any dual developed games like x360 and XO. It will be single game but scaled, no reason not to do that whilst supporting this gen.

I think if they can charge something (even a couple of dollars) the ps5 enhancement will arrive... so I hope they consider this possibility.... let us pay something for the improvements.... otherwise only framerate and maybe resolution (but not for all of the games).

Curious poll. Most want it to be affordable, and then play BC games. Improved graphics wasn't that highly rated...so...why even buy a new console?! The current ones are more affordable and play the old games. :p

As the article says, not very scientific, and they link to alternate results in the article data:
Last month we reported on a consumer survey from the Interactive Software Federation of Europe, in which European gamers were asked about their most demanded features for the PS5 and Xbox Series X. Among the surveyed console gamers, 78% agreed that improved visuals are an important feature for the upcoming next-gen consoles. 71% of the same group agreed that "shorter load times” is important as well.
So within one article, you've two very different sets of data. I wonder why you only mentioned one? ;)

What I will say is that I was disappointed that more XO games didn't get a simple patch to just up the resolution, especially the sub 1080p games, or up the limit of the dynamic resolution.
I'm not even talking about to 4k, but even 1440-1600p, that wouldn't tax the 1X, so hardly any testing needed as the api had a mode to just map ESRAM to gddr etc.
Talking the bigger budget games here.

Maybe MS could've said any patch that was coming out that included that, would be free for devs? Does studios still pay for subsequent patches?
Or patch required to go into gamepass (but that would have constrained gamepass to much)

But this time, even without patches a lot of games have performance and quality modes. Be nice if they patch in so that the quality mode can run at 60fps, again should be simple enough.

Anyway, I fully expect things to be even better this time around as it will be just opening up the profile levels from the mid gens, for games that are already in development. Most games have a mid gen profile already now.

Its really about how many games will get patched with RT and actual graphical updates that will be interesting.

Some 3p games that already ship with RT on pc is possible, and may be a way to get additional sales out of the titles, and used as tests cases for devs.
New games with pc RT I expect will get RT on consoles also if released after consoles release.

Curious poll. Most want it to be affordable, and then play BC games. Improved graphics wasn't that highly rated...so...why even buy a new console?! The current ones are more affordable and play the old games. :p
Did notice that.
Thought maybe people voted in the context that they was going to buy next gen anyway, so what will affect decision most on which to buy.

Is there a link to the poll question? Appears to be simply a single choice which one aspect determine whether they do or don't buy next-gen (at launch?). For most, as you'd expect for consumers, it's the price. That may be mentioned here because of chatter about the next-gen machines being more expensive, where in previous gens it wouldn't even have been asked. BC would be more important to early adopters but become increasingly less important.

All stats analysis needs access to the original questions and description of the sample pool for proper interpretation. Relying on other people's interpretations can really skew the facts.

Maybe MS could've said any patch that was coming out that included that, would be free for devs? Does studios still pay for subsequent patches?
Or patch required to go into gamepass (but that would have constrained gamepass to much)

It'd require going back and updating games to the latest XDK, so it probably wasn't worth the trouble. The forced AF still helped otherwise.

It'd require going back and updating games to the latest XDK, so it probably wasn't worth the trouble. The forced AF still helped otherwise.
Well then its gamers fault for not demanding that devs patch their games. If a Dev doesn't patch their games then don't buy it. Vote with your wallet.

Did notice that.
Thought maybe people voted in the context that they was going to buy next gen anyway, so what will affect decision most on which to buy.

My thinking too. Boon's poll is framed in that they already expect next-gen exclusives & next-gen graphics with a new generation anyway.

Is there a link to the poll question?

The poll is already closed, but here is the original tweet.

Tommy McClain

As the article says, not very scientific, and they link to alternate results in the article data:
So within one article, you've two very different sets of data. I wonder why you only mentioned one? ;)
The poll definitely helps a certain narrative. It's also a bit misleading. It doesn't ask what's important but what's MOST important, so if you ask 10 people and all 10 say price, all other aspects would be shown as 0%. Doesn't that mean no one cares about them?
Also, asking a community based around fighting multiplatformers is going to get you answers that are relevant to that community.

Is there a link to the poll question? Appears to be simply a single choice which one aspect determine whether they do or don't buy next-gen (at launch?). For most, as you'd expect for consumers, it's the price. That may be mentioned here because of chatter about the next-gen machines being more expensive, where in previous gens it wouldn't even have been asked. BC would be more important to early adopters but become increasingly less important.

All stats analysis needs access to the original questions and description of the sample pool for proper interpretation. Relying on other people's interpretations can really skew the facts.
I've never been invited or seen a survey about games in my lifetime.

Has anyone here ever have such an experience filling out such a surveys for games industry? I suspect that if you go to something like Gamescom, perhaps you would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back