Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming 1206 SMR, I see ~380mm2

Angle makes it hard, but that is what it looks like.
I was going by that as well, got 375mm2.

Definitely bigger chip then I anticipated with Scarlet reveal and would pretty much be a perfect fit for 56CU part.

EDIT
I'll make it 370mm2 because I think angle skews it a bit.

Last edited:
My own opinion in this baseless next gen rumor thread was always the same, MS likely made phenomenal decision on going dual SKU. Perhaps Sony looked into AMD's roadmap, looked into their BC method and said "We will need to go 36CU with very high clocks. That will be hard and we will have to have chip earlier then competition, but it will likely cost us millions to make sure yields of such high clocked chips are good."

Basically, Sony went with strategy that almost cannot be beaten with single SKU. Nothing MS did with single SKU would result in palpably better performance then PS5, because Sony already went to absolute limit and decided to use silicon as much as its possible. But, if they go with 2 SKUs and pretty much say "fuck the console factor" with 2nd one, then all bets are off. I personally think Sony were caught of guard and if it proves right, it will be interesting to hear a story of PS5 development.

Can you specify what did Komachi change about the narrative and story? We know Oberon had A0 and B0 steppings, we know (from AquariusZi), that Oberon is "one size smaller" then Arden and that its going through constant revisions. Now, if other, relatively reliable side (Komachi/Apisak) say its on E0 stepping, its very specific information. Its far cry from "My dad works at Nintendo..."
I won't say it's call of the guard unless XSX is better performance than PS5 but in same price(and vice versa).
Since there won't be Kinect 2 or Sony won't force bundle PSVR, there won't be anything significantly adding the cost other than the console itself.

I think what this thread actually needs is another pastebin rumor.

t1TUxo8.png

11TF with 40 CUs would need 2150MHz core clock.
576GB/s would need 18Gbps chips.
2.5GB/s SSD would need... well, a regular old 4x NVMe PCIe 3.0 TLC model and not even a great one at that.

Running PS4 Pro games at potentially 2.2x the framerate potentially without a single minute of software development efforts isn't a good way to pull BC off?
Only 2150Mhz? we can go higher!

Now we know Scarlett full specs and process: 56CUs, RDNA1, 7nm. No surprises as many of us had predicted this (and 56CUs info is in the github leak).

Running PS4 Pro games at potentially 2.2x the framerate potentially without a single minute of software development efforts isn't a good way to pull BC off?
It's not because it compromises the non-BC part of the console, which is its primary purpose. If you just want a PS4Pro++, keep it PS4 generation. MS shows a (theoretically) good way to do BC, by isolating the code from the hardware and enabling a new, different architecture to run the same games without compromising the new hardware and future games. Of course, we're yet to see how well that pans out and if it's actually as good as 'put in the disc' BC or if there's work on MS's side to make new downloadables that are compatible.

But we dont know if it has any RDNA2 tech pulled in.

But we dont know if it has any RDNA2 tech pulled in.
They don't seem to brag much about any RDNA2 hardware feature in their chip. For now it's all about 8K and power. They actually didn't talk much about RT until now. Was there even some RT in their Halo infinite and Hellblade 2 cutscenes ? Did MS / the developers talk about RT in those games ?

They are semi custom. Like Xenos was, or to lesser extend PS4Pro GPU. They can fit whatever they like from AMDs near future roadmap without putting a stamp on it "RDNA2".

If RT and VRS are major features from RDNA2, then it makes little difference anyway.

As for node, I am 100% sure they will be using N7P. Requires no silicon changes, gives straight 10% decrease in TDP, good yields and tons of waffers.

Xbox-Scarlett-Die-Size-Comparison-scaled.jpg

Now assuming Phil did not use a lens with too wonky a perspective (eg: some fisheye lenses), our results show us that the Xbox Scorpio and Xbox Scarlett APUs are roughly the same in width but the Xbox Scarlett APU is slightly longer in height. Our calculations put the Xbox Scarlett APU at roughly 401mm², which is an increase of almost 42mm² over the Xbox Scorpio chip at 359mm². The brand new APU features hardware-based raytracing (which seems to be all the rage these days) and a Zen 2-based CPU core.
Scorpio had 2560 SPs with 2 CUs disabled and while the Xbox Scarlett APU is clearly bigger, it is not possible to speculate based just on the die size because of the different process node involved (7nm vs 16nm) but we can safely say that you are looking at at least 50% more power in the same die space. Since the Scorpio APU can output roughly 6 TFLOPs of power, we can guesstimate a range of around 9 TFLOPs for the Scarlett APU.
https://wccftech.com/xbox-scarlett-apu-die-shot-analysis-die-size-estimated/

Edit: WCC update "up to 12 TFLOPS is within the realm of possibility."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back