Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
We know the full specs? What?
His interpretation is that if it's RDNA 1 then it's 7nm. These two are locked together in step.
The 56 CU is known - i guess.
The die size is being measured out to be around 400mm2+ according to wccftech which I think among the estimations i've seen so far; that one has been the most thorough with it's assumptions and calculations.

Xbox-Scarlett-Die-Size-Comparison-scaled.jpg

https://wccftech.com/xbox-scarlett-apu-die-shot-analysis-die-size-estimated/
( up to 12 TFLOPS is within the realm of possibility).

Did you deleted this or they edited the report?

Empty solder pads would be 0.80 pitch, maybe more contrast and easier to use centers instead of fuzzy edges. Just sayin.... I suck at measuring these things in pixels regardless.

It's not because it compromises the non-BC part of the console
Assuming the full chip stops at 36 active CUs, which is not certain yet.

The PS4 Pro could disable a part of its functional units for BC. There isn't any confirmation that the PS5 can't do the same, AFAIK.

MS shows a (theoretically) good way to do BC, by isolating the code from the hardware and enabling a new, different architecture to run the same games without compromising the new hardware and future games.

Good way according to whom?
In Scorpio MS showed a console that would run the non-optimized One games at 100% framerate, and Scorpio optimized games would need reengineering. That's just the same as the Pro, which doesn't have to employ virtual machines (which BTW come at a processing cost larger than zero).

In the PS5 Sony seems to have a method that just runs PS4 Pro games at 220% the framerate, no additional effort needed.
How much better is MS's method here? Is it better than Scorpio's? Do we even have that info already?

MS doing much better regarding BC this gen, next gen will be even bigger difference. Coming gen MS also improves on 1st party titles. Sony has got competition again since the 360 days. 8/9TF vs 11/12.

Assuming the full chip stops at 36 active CUs, which is not certain yet.
This baseless discussion is centred around a 36 CU part and me asking why would it need to be 36 CUs. It's already been mentioned that if it could be more CUs and just cutting back for BC, which is different to stopping at 36 CUs for the purposes of BC and then clocking as high as possible to make up the shortcoming of a small GPU, and an okay solution.

Good way according to whom?
The baseless rumour that MS has full every game BC on XBSX.

How much better is MS's method here? Is it better than Scorpio's? Do we even have that info already?
We don't have any info. this is the baseless thread. We don't even know if PS5 has 36 CUs or not - the discussion is hypothetical.

Although looking that up, it's implied MS are doing per-title checks and fixes. We don't know how much of that is XBO emulation and how much is 360 and XO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back