how to keep dust off ps4?

Cats love warm places (they'll sometimes comfortably sleep on top of radiators whose surfaces reach 50° celsius! O_O). Maybe your PS4 is warmer than a x360 and that explains your cat love for it :D

A solution would be to get some electronic piece of equipment that gets hotter than the PS4. A PC with a pair of crossfire X295 should do the trick ;-)

I always find these dust stories curious, as I don't take any anti-dust precautions with any of my electronics yet they haven't suffered from dust abuse AFAIK. eg. When my old PS3 died and I opened it up, it wasn't full of dust despite a few years in a moderately dusty room.
mate diff clims, I remember a thread I started a few years ago, my question was how to keep flies away from the screen (monitor) the wisdom of the posters was to 'not leave food scraps around')
(posters) <= total fail - yeah ok (leave no food scraps in summer) the flies are still here, shock horror, how could this happen it works in england or new york or miami
i.e. they were talking about their own clim/experience here on the internet its a wide range of climes/ppl

I always find these dust stories curious, as I don't take any anti-dust precautions with any of my electronics yet they haven't suffered from dust abuse AFAIK. eg. When my old PS3 died and I opened it up, it wasn't full of dust despite a few years in a moderately dusty room.

The HEPA filter idea is an interesting one, but won't you impact airflow with that? That's possibly too fine a filter to be meaningful and you could just use a larger filter size. In my personal experience, it'd be more trouble than it's worth. Then again, maybe dust damage is affected by region? You'll have different types depending on location. Obviously cat hairs as per the OP have a significant choke on airflow, but for smaller particles, I guess location will affect how likely the particles are to adhere to surfaces, penetrate smaller cracks, etc.

My initial ideal was to have hepa filters (AC filters 12x12x1) covering ports in the back with fans affixed to the bottom pulling air from the cabinet and blowing out underneath. Blowing the air out underneath would hopefully discourage dust build up under the EC and allow a more friendlier environment for any PSUs that might reside there. The cabinet would be mostly be made of wood but with metal mesh shelves.

But there was the question of having air tight cabinet doors as to mitigate dust being pull in along with outside air from other entry points other than the filter covered ports.

Creating a positive pressure environment seems to be the better choice. Simply use the fans to pull air through the filters into the cabinet. Any leakage is not as problematic as its air leaking from cabinet not into it.

The fan placement is the problematic. I don't want to affix them to pull from the bottom as it will only encourage the filters to get dirty quicker. I can affix them to the back but its easier to make an EC taller versus creating more depth. I don't want it to look like it can be used as a dining table for a family of 4.

We have two hepa filtered air purifiers that we don't use anymore. I am eyeing the guts of those as components from my project. I just have to get the wife to say okay. But that might be a tough chore as we still have her first TV (a TV/VCR combo) and a bunch of cheap ass dishes/silverware from her college days that she won't let me junk.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should need substantial pressure to pump air through a proper HEPA filter - a standard axial fan, even a high pressure one, probably don't cut it at all, unless the filter is rather leaky and thus not really a true HEPA filter. You would probably need a decent blower at a couple thousand revs/min, and they howl pretty good... Vacuums using HEPA filters use staged fans which are even more noisy. An electrostatic air cleaner would be more effective at acceptable noise levels as it doesn't really need a filter at all, thus very low air resistance (although you might need to develop a liking for ozone... ;))

You should need substantial pressure to pump air through a proper HEPA filter - a standard axial fan, even a high pressure one, probably don't cut it at all, unless the filter is rather leaky and thus not really a true HEPA filter. You would probably need a decent blower at a couple thousand revs/min, and they howl pretty good... Vacuums using HEPA filters use staged fans which are even more noisy. An electrostatic air cleaner would be more effective at acceptable noise levels as it doesn't really need a filter at all, thus very low air resistance (although you might need to develop a liking for ozone... ;))

I'll just drop the hepa and go with some plain old pleated air filters.

okay i have addedd the heigh by placing 4 styrofoam under PS4. But its still noisy and hot, maybe my cabinet is too small :(

on the other hand, the heat is perfect for drying my wet phone :D

okay i have addedd the heigh by placing 4 styrofoam under PS4. But its still noisy and hot, maybe my cabinet is too small :(

on the other hand, the heat is perfect for drying my wet phone :D

I stop putting my consoles in cabinets a long time ago

You could cover your system with a sheet of aluminum foil (only when not in use ofcourse) or a piece of non fuzzy cloth. If you make sure it covers the disk drive or power button that might help you remember to take it off. For a cat the cloth might work better. Hell you could even attach velcro to the cloth and system that way it doesnt just fall of when the cat gets near it

Don't put your PS4 on a tile floor... that just makes it a magnet for hair.

For all others' purposes.... just use an alcohol/sanitizer wipe or simply a wet cloth and dust it once in a while.

That area will get a bit of dust stuck though.... but not *that* much, that is nasty!

I know this is an old assed thread, but it was linked on the shoutbox/whatever on the side, so I don't feel bad about bumping it.

Got any pictures of your kitty, orangpelupa?

Back