NPD December 2015 Sales Results

In terms of what the GPU can do, PS4 is likely to be rather more than ten times faster. I'm not even sure how you'd try and measure PS3 GPU compute ....
I'm not convinced it is ten time faster than Xenos, on "raw theoretical throughput" it is in real term I would think no, I remember reading an interesting take on older Xenos and how it could hanlde a lot of calculations "for free", or more accurately operations that require quite a few operations on newer AMD architectures.
I suppose 20x for next gen is technically possible, even if we know it ain't going to happen. Unless we're talking about the WiiU. :eek:
Indeed with regard to process shifts we've moved from Moore's Law to more slow>>>> :LOL:

I'm not convinced it is ten time faster than Xenos, on "raw theoretical throughput" it is in real term I would think no, I remember reading an interesting take on older Xenos and how it could hanlde a lot of calculations "for free", or more accurately operations that require quite a few operations on newer AMD architectures.

If we go by flops alone, its not 10x faster (240 Gflops vs 1.31 Tflops). That's about 6x more (but this is not a good measure since CGN and that card arquitecture are diferent, so the real diference could be bigger)
But there are other things to consider like GPGPU and other tech improvements on silicon (some of them from GCN 2.0).
Xenos is now obsolete and why see no reason why all its tech, if still of any interest, should not be present and improved in new AMD cards

If we go by flops alone, its not 10x faster (240 Gflops vs 1.31 Tflops). That's about 6x more (but this is not a good measure since CGN and that card arquitecture are diferent, so the real diference could be bigger)

Xenos is only 216GFlops : the scalar ALU can't do MAD unlike AMD next VLIW5 design. So, compared to Xenos, Liverpool is more like 8 times faster in terms of ALU. Moreover, like you said GCN is more akin to approach its peak rate, there are serious limitations to vector/scalar co-issue on Xenos : if the vector ALU operation is using 3 source operands (like a MAD) the scalar ALU can only operate on the 3rd source operand.

I guess NPD_George/NDP Mulcair at neogaf was too good to be true. Banned for being a previously banned member (I have my guess).

Back to sloppy estimates I suppose.

Last edited:
I guess NPD_George/NDP Mulcair at neogaf was too good to be true. Banned for being a previously banned member (I have my guess).

Back to sloppy estimates I suppose.

It's most certainly interesting situation. Someone in notorious VGchartz boards posts as Aqua and that person says that Mulcair was not her. It was nice to see offical NPD numbers but since digital, DLCs, subscriptions and bundles are so big part of modern games industry, I don't think losing NPD data is too big of a deal. Anyway... EA q3 results are in 28th this month, so maybe we can get some data to compare the numbers.

I think that It's most certainly the real Aquamarine at Vgchartz. I think @ZhugeEX would also agree with me.

I would indeed. You can read the posts over on VGChartz if you want to know what happened and what kind of forum NeoGAF actually is.

It's most certainly interesting situation. Someone in notorious VGchartz boards posts as Aqua and that person says that Mulcair was not her. It was nice to see offical NPD numbers but since digital, DLCs, subscriptions and bundles are so big part of modern games industry, I don't think losing NPD data is too big of a deal. Anyway... EA q3 results are in 28th this month, so maybe we can get some data to compare the numbers.

The NPD Group release a number of reports every month, the one being discussed here is the 'New Physical Sales report' for packaged unit sales at retail. Another report that the group release is the 'Games Market Dynamics Report' which covers the digital console market as well as spending on online PC/Mobile games and helps provide the full picture of how much is spent across digital gaming. So it's not that the NPD numbers are incomplete, it's that they are part of a separate report.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we saw $5.2 billion generated through new physical software sales at retail for console and handheld titles. Console and handheld titles also generated an additional $2.5 billion through full game downloads, Download Contents and Subscriptions.

So if that's true, altogether digital makes up almost 50% as much as retail.

Does subscriptions include PS+/XB Gold? I would assume that would be one of the biggest chunks.

Aquamarine on vgchartz about the NPD George situation

Aquamarine 17 hours ago
Thank fucking NeoGAF moderation for permabanning my friend NPD George / NDP Mulcair.

George / Mulcair is from The NPD Group. He's my contact at the agency in Port Washington. I helped him set up an account and actually was able to convince NPD that it was a good idea to help out GAF / other sites with some official information starting with October 2015 NPD.

But apparently that piece of shit admin Stumpokapow decided to ruin a perfectly good thing and permaban my friend because they got into their stupid little heads that he was "my alt account" which doesn't make any sense. I set up his profile on my computer and then told him the login and password because he's not very good with forums, and apparently that's "proof of an alt account" despite him clearly being a very different poster than I was.

I tried to get back on NeoGAF in the past...I reached out to the mods to be unbanned at multiple points...but they have completely ignored me. So I thought bringing George to GAF could act as a good replacement for data so everyone didn't always have to rely on leaks.

But apparently the arrogance and elitism of the NeoGAF moderators knows no bounds, and they'd rather stick to their draconian ways instead of getting more of a good thing. So you know what? Fuck them. We're done.

We all think it's utterly ridiculous that they're acting like children. This incident has really soured our opinion of the forum. But hey, what can you do? NeoGAF is really going downhill. I'm finally starting to understand why there is so much hatred against them on the Internet.

I have nothing against Chartz forums or any of you guys. NPD used to be really draconian last year so I was pressured pretty hardcore into trying to stop leaks but they've got new management lately that has been more open towards sharing tidbits of data (like hardware), hence the existence of NPD George / NDP Mulcair. This incident will probably close everything down again, which sucks.

If I can leak something here in the future with the permission of NPD I will, but it's probably unlikely.
Hard to say who to believe. I can see Aqua's story seeming a little fishy, OTOH I could see it being true. Either way, if GAF ruined an official source of NPD information that's pretty crap.

BTW Zhuge/etc the discussion about "growing" vgchartz to become a viable competitor to NPD is interesting, but as you noted very unlikely to happen. Why they hell would the likes of Wal Mart partner with some two-bit website? Why would that benefit them? With NPD WM gets access to a lot of NPD data (not just for games) in return. NPD is part of some good old boys network in business so to speak, money, lawyers, been around forever...vgchartz is some British goofball made a website.

But beyond all that as I understand it vgchartz is essentially a zombie site at this point. I dont think ioi (owner) frequents it anymore let alone is he interested in improving it or expending any effort on it. All it is at this point is a zombie site that sits there and collects ad revenue for him. He has also moved his attention on to making some new websites last I saw, but that was a couple years ago. I notice he used to have some decent or at least recognizable editors working for him, but as of a couple years ago they all left and it was new guys, and just one or two. IMO the editors are just whatever schmucks ioi can get to work for free for him basically.

I'm not sure what happened to the font here, it acquired the font size of the quote for some reason. Buggy forum...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to say who to believe. I can see Aqua's story seeming a little fishy, OTOH I could see it being true.
Yeah, that statement is right up with "my dog ate my homework" for believability.
They're welcome to post here! ;)
Really? Because drama tends to follow these people around. Of course that's the mod's problem! :yep2:

Be careful what you wish for.....

So if that's true, altogether digital makes up almost 50% as much as retail.

Does subscriptions include PS+/XB Gold? I would assume that would be one of the biggest chunks.

I don't believe it includes non game subscriptions such as PS+ and XBL but I'll have to double check.

Just game downloads and additional digitial content for those games.

In regards to the NPD_George situation, I will say that the NeoGAF moderation team is at fault here. That's all I'm willing to disclose.

The NeoGaf moderation team is well intentioned, but sometimes creates large spikes in the noise to signal ratio - occasionally going so far as to block the signal.

The Beyond3D moderation team is far more disciplined.

And I say that in the hope I will be given leeway the next time I make a genital / illness / misfortune related analogy that goes a little too far.

As bad as they are in the gaming forum, they are far worse in OT. There is no room for dissent or opinion that goes against the group think, it becomes an instant ban.

Last edited:
Back