ZombiU

What's the significance of this versus the hundreds of other Zombie games? Other then it being something of an undead title itself, what with having died on Wii U only to come back to plague the next-gen consoles? Does it have any distinguishing art to make it worth getting excited about?

As in video game as an artform. Does it have atmosphere, or gameplay mechanics, or any particular gaming artistry beyond the other zombie games.

As in video game as an artform. Does it have atmosphere, or gameplay mechanics, or any particular gaming artistry beyond the other zombie games.
Haven't the foggiest but I recall Joystick and Destructoid liked it.

It might well be a good game, but its claim to fame was the only 'serious' title on Wii U, pretty much, that also made meaningful use of the touchscreen AFAIK.
That could be somewhat mimicked with Smartglass, but I don't think it is the same, or maybe it is. I certainly didn't play the WiiU game, I am not even into zombie games.

It might well be a good game, but its claim to fame was the only 'serious' title on Wii U, pretty much, that also made meaningful use of the touchscreen AFAIK.
I think it just displayed inventory/menu on the pad while the game doesn't pause. Not exactly compelling when you have Dead Space achieve the same mechanic without a secondary screen.

edit: well, nevermind

The touchscreen is also used for context-sensitive actions, such as barricading doors or hacking combination locks. The Wii U GamePad gyroscope, which allows the controller to sense its rotation and tilt in three-dimensional space, is also utilized: while viewing the touchscreen the player may move the controller around in space to focus on and scan different areas of the area in order to find items. While performing any of these actions, the perspective on the television switches to a fixed third-person view, showing the player character and the surrounding area. In this state, the player is vulnerable to attack and must watch both the Wii U GamePad touchscreen and the television screen in order to avoid potential harm.

I suppose on PS4 they can use motion controls and embed a virtual scanner in game, viewing it from first person. But overall, the game seems designed for Wuublet, so it seems unlikely much of the original's appeal can be kept intact.

I think you're repeating the cynical press line.

Zombie games sell although God only knows why as many are mediocre but I gather ZombiU was actually quite challenging throughout unlike something like Dying Light (which I really like) which becomes a cake walk really quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZombiU was a good game. More along the lines of Dark Souls than your typical zombie mow-down. Extremely tense and atmospheric. Pick your battles, watch for noise, limited resources, level shortcuts, etc.

Tablet elements were nothing that can't easily be done on a controller. The pacing and level design defined the game, not the tablet functions.

Back