PSX vs N64 graphical look

Which type of graphics do you prefer?

• Total voters
What good is there in preventing you, me, DSoup et al from seeing the opinions of those who voted?
I think Davros meant it as "being able to see results without voting matters."

In an "I can't vote because I don't have a reasonable degree of experience, but I still want to see the results" sense.

Got you. Interpretation of pronoun :
Edited the poll to make results public without voting. That's likely a new feature overlooked when creating polls as it doesn't seem to serve much of a purpose.
By that, I meant the feature to enable/disable whether viewable by non-voters, which defaults to unviewable. Davros read a feature to make polls viewable to non-voters. My point is why even have a hide option?! ;)

My point is why even have a hide option?! ;)
The gist is presumably to keep knowledge of poll results from skewing choices, particularly in circumstances where you can see who voted for what (the fear being that some people might deliberately change their vote to avoid being an identified outlier, or some such business).

I thought that, but then partisan people will vote for their agenda without needing to know the results anyway. And if they then see results they don't like, they can ring their partisan friends to join in the vote. And it encourages bogus votes by people curious to see the results. For all we know, half the votes are uninformed/random just to see who was winning!

What about sharp and stable (like software Quake or the Sega Saturn)? =)
The first approach (PC) required fast floating point division hardware, the second quads instead of triangles but polygon skinning was truly a mess on the Sega Saturn with the result that few developers really did a good job at it.

I dunno, back in the day I preferred the N64 but on today emulators those textures looks really blurry and I prefer the tessellated look of the PSX.

Not like Saturn had sub-pixel precision either. Actually I think it was even worse because of the way the lines were overdrawn and overlapped internally. Skinning was really bad because the quads were textured with sprites instead of arbitrary quads.

Not like Saturn had sub-pixel precision either. Actually I think it was even worse because of the way the lines were overdrawn and overlapped internally. Skinning was really bad because the quads were textured with sprites instead of arbitrary quads.

Saturn had the VDP2 3D backgrounds that always looked really good.

If you ever need a big high-res flat plane VDP2 is the way to go!

I mean, if you want to do games that look like battles in Beyond the Beyond, sure. Okay, it was put to pretty good effect in fighting games, but it wasn't exactly universally useful in 3D games.

I mean, if you want to do games that look like battles in Beyond the Beyond, sure. Okay, it was put to pretty good effect in fighting games, but it wasn't exactly universally useful in 3D games.

It was awesome in Panzer Zwei and Saga, Sonic R, Grandia and others.

Some PS1 games look much better in emulators too, in much different ways. For example, sometimes they use textures that are a lot higher resolution than what usually gets expressed in screen space, causing the detail to be wasted and more aliasing. Higher resolution rendering makes these games look a lot better. For example, Chrono Cross.

This doesn't help the fundamental sub-pixel precision or affine interpolation issues though. There was an experimental emulator under developement that actually did somehow overcome some issues like this, probably with heuristics that track primitive data with the GTE calculations that produced it (and included more information). Not sure if that ever got released.
I thought it would be easy as pie, as easy as applying additional filters if you use an emulator on a modern GPU, which is light years beyond whatever the PS1 could produce. I mean....judging by @Nesh post where he shared some videos, I don't see problems with perspective correction or subpixel precision in the Crash Team Racing video --incredible game btw, I remember playing this game for hours at a friend's house, it was so addictive!

Those fundamental hardware issues "should" be easy to overcome in an emulator, but maybe the intrinsics are more complicated like that... Yesteryear's programmers had to be really skilled to work around limitations of the hardware, my hat off to them. I can imagine how difficult it had to be to program a game for the NES and avoid clipping for instance.

Back