NHL 15 - The reveal all of you (just me) have been waiting for!

So, the graphics look pretty awesome, at least for the arena. The player's jerseys move now, like the shirts in FIFA. Kind of looks like it's blowing in the wind while standing still, which is kind of dumb.

Site is now up.

http://www.easports.com/nhl/nhl15

So to sum it up:
Better player to player physics. You'll now get player "pileups" around the net if everyone is crashing the crease.
Better puck physics (puck can bounce and roll, and I guess just better collision)
Better physics on the clothing and equipment for more realistic looking interaction
Better crowds
Better AI (no details)
Improved skill stick control (no details)
New commentary team (THANK GOD!). Tired of the old guys. Also, they have Ray Ferraro, doing the ice-level stuff. He's the absolute best colour commentary guy in all of hockey.
NBC broadcast format. Partnership with NBC to make it look like their tv broadcast.

So the EA team hired a guy who wrote software for the Hadron Collider to do their physics. Sounds like the puck is properly modeled, and bounches/rolls correctly. It can even get caught in a players clothing, or react to the goalies jersey, since they have cloth physics for the jerseys. I mean, if you're going to hype physics, hiring that guy is one way to do it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/06/nhl-15-puck-physics-and-the-hadron-collider-connection

Also using the new Ignite engine, which I'd assumed it would be. Seems to be decent in FIFA in terms of player collisions. Graphics in FIFA are pretty mediocre though. Hopefully NHL will be a much nicer looking game.

So the EA team hired a guy who wrote software for the Hadron Collider to do their physics. Sounds like the puck is properly modeled, and bounches/rolls correctly. It can even get caught in a players clothing, or react to the goalies jersey, since they have cloth physics for the jerseys. I mean, if you're going to hype physics, hiring that guy is one way to do it.

Wow. Sheldon Cooper would have a fit over this. I mean. From CERN to EA Games. Wow.

I'm posting mostly because I feel bad for this thread, but also as a Canadian I feel obliged to contribute some text to an NHL thread.

Wake me up when EA loses the NHL license.

Also, it seems the only people playing NHL14 on Twitch these days use it as a card trading sim.

Cheers

Also, it seems the only people playing NHL14 on Twitch these days use it as a card trading sim.

Cheers

I'd be happy to see another company take a stab at a hockey game. Make it multiplayer, where you have a custom player and custom teams. No need for an NHL license. Basically steal the whole EASHL thing from NHL and turn it into a standalone product.

Ultimate Team is the mode where the money is, and unfortunately no one else seems to want to license anything from the NHL. 2K stopped with NHL 2K10.

I wonder if there just isn't much profit in it for others to bother. When we had the NHL license many years ago it was already hard enough negotiating with the leagues for a decent deal, and then even harder after that to turn a profit. Hence it was inevitably dropped. I figure maybe EA is one of the few companies willing to hold on to NHL games even if they aren't very profitable just to complete their sports franchises.

Back