Xbox One: B3D User’s FAQ

How is the video recording and screenshot features? Can we also stream our gameplay like on the ps4?

How do game installations work compared to the ps4? I mean from Disk? Does it also have background installations while playing? disk and DD.

Also, if any of you are playing those upscaled games, how is the IQ? How good is the upscaler?
Does the upscaler also work for DVDs?

Haven't messed with the video recording or screenshot features, so I can't comment on those, but streaming is not present yet, got delayed to early next year. It will be there, just not yet.

DD installs definitely happen in the background, can't speak for discs, but I believe they do too.

Haven't messed with the video recording or screenshot features, so I can't comment on those, but streaming is not present yet, got delayed to early next year. It will be there, just not yet.

DD installs definitely happen in the background, can't speak for discs, but I believe they do too.

Thanx. DO give ur impressions on the DVr functionality when u get to it.

Does party chat work the same way as 360? Heard some weird things about it.
Yes, but it's different. People invite you to a party and then you decide whether to talk or not. I was with 4 people in a party yesterday and only two of us were talking, the other two guys hadn't enabled voice chat.

If you have a specific question let me know. What I can tell you generally speaking is that it supports dual HDMI + Optical audio output by default. Here are the settings it supports:

HDMI:

• Off
  • Stereo uncompressed
  • 5.1 uncompressed
  • 7.1 uncompressed
  • DTS Digital Surround
Optical:

• Off
  • Stereo uncompressed
  • DTS Digital Surround
Thanks GradThrawn. I experimented a little, I shall tell my results in the appropriate thread.

Does anyone know how to take screenshots? I mean something like record that but taking a screenshot instead of a video to show to friends.

As witnessed by the Neogaf next-gen screenshot thread, that's currently not possible. Only video through SkyDrive can be shared (but that works quite well!)

Party Chat has always been Gold required.

Tommy McClain

Interesting, I could have sworn I created parties when I was but a Live plebeian. We're talking about hazy memory here, however.

How do game installations work compared to the ps4? I mean from Disk? Does it also have background installations while playing? disk and DD.

Sorry, not sure about disk. For digital, I can only speak to Forza and DR3. Forza was ready to play before it had completed downloading, but I cannot say how quickly. Only 1 download can be active at a time, the rest are queued. You can select any queued item to start up immediately, however, or pause an active one and it will go to the next in queue.

Also, if any of you are playing those upscaled games, how is the IQ? How good is the upscaler?

F5 is native 1080p and it looks great. DR3 is supposedly not and is upscaled, but resolution is the least of its worries in my opinion. It's still a very engaging game, and the sense of scale and scope it provides when you're driving down the street and can see what looks to be thousands of zombies in front of you can be quite impressive (perhaps its only hundreds, but the crowds look immense). A drastic change coming from State of Decay (which I thoroughly enjoyed and think is a great, albeit broken, sleeper hit).

Does the upscaler also work for DVDs?

Not sure. I haven't a DVD handy to test. Nor am I sure that I have a discerning enough eye to tell you if did without seeing an A to B, side by side, comparison.

I really need to add these to the QA page. But I know as soon as I get home I'll be slaying zombies to the determent of everything else.

I noticed MS got around the few second delay when responding to the Turn Off command that was noted by game journalist pre-launch by simply having a confirmation screen pop up instead. Works quite well. Xbox Turn Off > Yes.

I noticed MS got around the few second delay when responding to the Turn Off command that was noted by game journalist pre-launch by simply having a confirmation screen pop up instead. Works quite well. Xbox Turn Off > Yes.
I think you can say various voice commands in a row without having to say Xbox every time.

Example: Xbox Go To FIFA 14, Go To Call of Duty Ghosts, Go to Forza Motorsport 5, Volume Up, Volume Down, Mute, Unmute, etc etc.

Thanks for the clarification Arwin, that's a bummer. Having the ability to take screenshots is simple but very functional -say you find a little secret or you want to share a given moment with your friends-.

I think you can say various voice commands in a row without having to say Xbox every time.

Yes, but that's not what I'm referring to. They reportedly had a small delay before executing the Turn Off command to prevent people (in the same room as you) from griefing you and shutting down the console. The delay was there to give you time to cancel the griefer's shut down command.

Yes, but that's not what I'm referring to. They reportedly had a small delay before executing the Turn Off command to prevent people (in the same room as you) from griefing you and shutting down the console. The delay was there to give you time to cancel the griefer's shut down command.

They can still grief you if they want.

Heck, it's no different than your friend just going up to the console and pressing the power button to turn it off.

Regards,
SB

Heck, it's no different than your friend just going up to the console and pressing the power button to turn it off.

Regards,
SB
:smile: Someone's wife might take it to their advantage if they learn the voice command by listening to their partner: "Xbox --> Turn off --> Yes"

Regards,
SB

It's not a fool proof solution by any means, However, I much prefer it to some delay to executing my command. The simple solution to in person griefers is not a technical one, IMO. :devilish:

Example: Xbox Go To FIFA 14, Go To Call of Duty Ghosts, Go to Forza Motorsport 5, Volume Up, Volume Down, Mute, Unmute, etc etc.

Thanks for the clarification Arwin, that's a bummer. Having the ability to take screenshots is simple but very functional -say you find a little secret or you want to share a given moment with your friends-.

So the way it works is, if there is any green text on the screen, and/or the UI element that says "Stop Listening" is on screen, you don't need to say Xbox to register a command. Saying 'xbox' is similar to the 'start listening' command for voice recognition in Windows, but it'll time out after a few seconds. Until it does it doesn't need to be said again. And of course you can make it stop instantly by saying 'Stop Listening' if you want to avoid it accidentally picking up words.

Anytime you see green text, it's indicating an available voice command. You can say Xbox, Select to show all of the options on the screen you have up, or Xbox and no command to get a list of common commands for the context you're in.

Regards,
SB

There's a bit of a difference. The Kinect sensor is pretty sensitive if there isn't a lot of background noise confusing it; being able to disable it from a significant distance gives the troll more of a head start in running away ;p

Last edited by a moderator:
F5 is native 1080p and it looks great. DR3 is supposedly not and is upscaled, but resolution is the least of its worries in my opinion.

Nevermind the game being fun or not ;),I am told the upscaler is very good or good enough. When u play Forza5 vs DR3, are u able to tell, like I can on my monitor due to the inherent blur in a 720p game, that u r playing an upscaled 720p game? Or is the upscaler too good and somehow makes the it un-noticeable?

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a bit of a difference. The Kinect sensor is pretty sensitive if there isn't a lot of background noise confusing it; being able to disable it from a significant distance gives the troll more of a head start in running away ;p

It will be interesting to see if it is really that sensitive..my normal speaking voice was too quiet to work with kinect1 (from about 3.5m..and I tried 2 different units and too many calibration sessions..)

Back