Ryan Davis of Giant bomb has passed away

No idea at this point in time. It happened apparently on the 3rd of july just days into his honeymoon.

I've listened to him on GiantBomb since they started, and over at GameSpot for years before that. He always seemed like the nicest, funniest guy imaginable. Condolences to all his friends and family.

RIP. :(

Any idea what happened?

He suffered from sleep apnea, he even needed a breathing mask.

The severe form of this can lead to strokes, heart attacks and what some people refer to as "the quiet sleep". Where the person who suffers from this condition suddenly dies in their sleep without the body even struggling or gasping for air because the brain shuts this involuntary function down.

Tragic news indeed. I had never listened to GiantBomb podcast tbh, but it is always so sad to see an illness take such a young life. And only to make things worse he had married recently. Sigh. RIP Ryan Davis

Wow on his honeymoon. Just crazy...

Wonder where he went and what happen. Very sudden...

Hope his wife is okay.

RIP, it's sad to see him go.

Also I seen a picture of him playing with his baby posted on gaf and it struck close to home, my father died of a heart attack around the same age when i was ~1.

But this isn't all that shocking when most of the cast are large, i hope that the other guys can use this as an opportunity to motivate themselves to get healthier.

Really tragic - I've been a long time listener for years (my son is five, and I started before he was born), and even back in the Gamespot days I occasionally watched video reviews from them.

And, well, Jeff Gerstman did lose a lot of weight, actually. But Ryan Davis never really seemed to make an effort, and from whenever they did a Kinect preview, he seemed really unfit. The parts of their podcast that were about food sometimes just grossed me out, and I have worried about this happening for a long time. It's almost crazy that it actually happened, and already at this age. I did not actually know about sleep apnea, which is a hugely accellerating factor for weight problems apparently:

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/sleep-topics/obesity-and-sleep

Anyway, very sad, and horrible timing in someones life at that - aged 34, honeymoon, a young kid - horrible.

RIP, it's sad to see him go.

Also I seen a picture of him playing with his baby posted on gaf and it struck close to home, my father died of a heart attack around the same age when i was ~1.

That was actually Dave Snider's baby. Davis did not have any children.

Still a tragedy. I will miss having his voice in my life.

I have been a big fan of their content, especially the podcast and quicklooks and have been a subscriber to the site since the Whiskey Media days. It's weird to feel this strong of a sense of loss for someone you never met or even had any individual communication with, but it's there. And the circumstances are truly tragic.

There have been lots of tributes from various media outlets like this article on Polygon or Harmonix pre-empting their weekly livestream to air a Ryan Davis tribute instead that show the his influence in the gaming industry and what he meant to not only those who were closest to him, but even people who had only peripheral contact with him.

He was a unique figure who touched a lot of lives and will be missed greatly.

Terrible news indeed. I listened to just about every single Bombcast of theirs and watched every last damn quick look. Really loved them duders. And so close after his wedding. How fucked up is that.

Really tragic - I've been a long time listener for years (my son is five, and I started before he was born), and even back in the Gamespot days I occasionally watched video reviews from them.

And, well, Jeff Gerstman did lose a lot of weight, actually. But Ryan Davis never really seemed to make an effort, and from whenever they did a Kinect preview, he seemed really unfit. The parts of their podcast that were about food sometimes just grossed me out, and I have worried about this happening for a long time. It's almost crazy that it actually happened, and already at this age. I did not actually know about sleep apnea, which is a hugely accellerating factor for weight problems apparently:

Sleep apnea comes from the obesity, not the other way around. The extra tissue weighs down the oropharynx and causes constriction. Sleep apnea typically results in symptoms of fatigue during the day. It is this fatigue that can result in further avoidance of activity. But in worse cases apneoc episodes can last tens of seconds at a time during night and this is very bad to cause hypoxia in the brain for this long a time.

Anyway I'm glad someone brought this up. Look at the patient in this case. There aren't many possible causes of sudden death for this person.

This is always sad when it happens but its even more important that people actually learn something from what happened. Whatever happened to Ryan Davis was acute a likely precipitated by his obesity or lack of control of weight, and he was clearly well over the obesity threshold of 30 bmi.

This is not to blame people for their health problems. Everyone has their own unique problems its just important to try to address them. Its not a joke to play with your health. Especially when people see what can happen.

Back