Are you going to *change* your platform of choice going into next-gen?

Are you going to change your platform of choice going into next-gen?

• I own a Sony console and will get neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I own a Nintendo console and will change to Xbox One

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I understand that, but that's somewhat different to the point raised. Cyan posted an article, "10 unique features to XB1". Point 2 was "Splitscreen seat-switching can be eliminated." That is not unique. In fact reading the source article, which doesn't claim these are unique features, they say the controller has an IR LED that is being tracked by Kinect, so it's basically working in the same way as PS4's controller tracking. Hell, the article even says Ps4 has the same ability, which makes me question why Cyan titled his post "unique things about XB1".

What you are describing is automatic player login when hot-seating, which possibly is unique, but that's a different feature to the one being argued against. ;)

Gotcha. When I read Cyan's post & that specific point, I was thinking specifically of what was shown in Wired video. To me it wasn't just about splitscreen, it was the whole feature & not just one piece. That's why I had issue with Strange saying that MS' competitor does it too. So I'm sorry if I diverged from the literal "splitscreen seat-switching can be eliminated" point. Maybe somebody should create separate threads discussing unique features of each platform? It could help people better understand other platforms.

Tommy McClain

But is it a bias if the criticism is justified?

I still believe so.

Before the next gen unveiling I cant remember the B3D forums favoring one console over the other, except some people feeling that way whenever the console they didnt prefer got some praise either because of a good exclusive game or because of some feature.

You must have been reading a different forum than me. LOL There has always been a system preference here. Just because you're ignorant to that doesn't mean it's not here.

Tommy McClain

Bias is the wrong word to use, it implies unfair or prejudiced reasoning. You should use favor.

dictionary.reference.com said:
2. a particular tendency or inclination, especially one that prevents unprejudiced consideration of a question; prejudice.

verb (used with object) 9. to cause partiality or favoritism in (a person); influence, especially unfairly: a tearful plea designed to bias the jury.

I still believe so.
Even as such, if its justified its justified

You must have been reading a different forum than me. LOL There has always been a system preference here. Just because you're ignorant to that doesn't mean it's not here.

Tommy McClain

We have "system preference" from both sides. You notice only the opposite side because you dont like it

I see plenty of preference on both sides. There are some people on this board loyal to a platform no matter what - you see their name and know their position on a given topic. But I'm blowed if I could quantify it as who has the most preference! The stronger EU presence on this board relative to population probably counts for a strong apparent Sony preference because more Europeans have PS than XB, and that'll reflect in their posts and interests. I own a PS3 after owning a PS2, and I tend to haunt PS-based threads with more presence, and follow PS talk more closely, but I'm far from hostilely biased against MS, and I think that's true for the majority of members on this board who have a platform preferences. Of course, it's those with the most bias who tend to make the most noise.

But I see this is doing exactly the same as another post - talking about the posters rather than the topics. That never ends well.

My preference in the past has been Sony and Nintendo combo but I currently own a 360 and am very happy. I'm open to both One/PS4.

This is an open forum. There will always be different preferences, multiple interests, opposing perspectives, varying rate, frequency, expectation and duration of everything.

It can't be helped if other posters like to talk about different topics from your/my favorite ones.

It is _ok_ to talk exclusively about PS or Nintendo or Xbox or whatever.
[size=-2]who has time to track everything ?[/size]

I think there are a few things at work here:

1. MS engineering choices
2. Hyperbolic discussion about special sauce etc.

1. The PS4 is a gaming console that can do other stuff and the XB1 is a device that does other stuff and gaming. MS made a hybrid design to maximize their flexibility in their quest for the consumer's living room. This isn't the wrong thing to do but a lot of time and tech went into something other than gaming and graphics. Just a little less interesting except for the Kinect of course.

2. Dealing with rumors and thought experiments such as 2 APUs and what 200 GB/S means, Move Engine madness , the INFINITE POWER OF THE CLOUD !! Fun stuff until it's used as some sort of justification for Microsoft design decisions. MS doesn't need a justifications for the XB1, they were the right ones for the job that MS has for it.

Maybe there was an excess of negative language used in some cases in dealing with some of this stuff but I don't think there is a major BIAS issue here. Most commenters will end up with both systems eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand that, but that's somewhat different to the point raised. Cyan posted an article, "10 unique features to XB1". Point 2 was "Splitscreen seat-switching can be eliminated." That is not unique. In fact reading the source article, which doesn't claim these are unique features, they say the controller has an IR LED that is being tracked by Kinect, so it's basically working in the same way as PS4's controller tracking. Hell, the article even says Ps4 has the same ability, which makes me question why Cyan titled his post "unique things about XB1".

What you are describing is automatic player login when hot-seating, which possibly is unique, but that's a different feature to the one being argued against. ;)
I feel lonely... Anybody thinks the same as me? :cool: -see below-

I said unique because I genuinely thought those features were unique since the article was focused on the Xbox One alone -*unique* console mentioned-, listing some positive things about the console that Microsoft didn't publicize much themselves before.

I wrote unique as I could write mythical or fabuluous, or uber Shifty :LOL:. So, we can change those words. "10... features to XB1". Implying that...

No, I cannot bring myself to finish that sentence.

Yes that's nicer. But realistically there's probably a tiny bit of favoritism going on :smile:

Confirmation... preference.
Can I pick something inbetween? I prefer neither XD (I kid, I kid)

Edit, this is war, and of course in war you have to pick a side. (Pick Cold or Hot) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Even as such, if its justified its justified

We have "system preference" from both sides. You notice only the opposite side because you dont like it

I wasn't disputing if it was justified or not. Just that there was bias. You guys can call it favoritism, preference, or whatever, still looks like bias to me. I never really had a much problem with the other side. I wouldn't have been visiting for over 10 years if I had. What I don't like is some of the patronizing attitudes that come from those with a superiority complex.

Tommy McClain

Ultimate question really is, what does 3GB buy Microsoft that will be the "cross game party chat" of this generation because by all accounts, Sony is only going to give themselves 1GB of RAM for the OS and system functions. That trade off doesn't come for free, but we won't know for a while what that means for 3-4 years.

People with real friends. ;) It's definitely the best way to play for a lot of us, and in this age of HD screens, makes more sense than ever before.

Yeah, splitscreen is amazing.

It's a pipedream, but I really hope we see 6 or 8 player splitscreen support for a game like Halo - would be awesome and there'd be enough resolution at 1080p for it to work reasonably well.

Do we know what's the max number of controllers supported per console, 4? I think PS3 supported up to 8 controllers.

Oh I understand why & I don't necessarily blame you guys. I was just trying to say that the heavy Playstation bias in this forum can't be denied.

I'm really not sure what the whole point is about bringing up a bias. To me it seems the word bias is being used to explain a certain favoritism. If Xbox polls are bad, it must mean it's because this board favors the PlayStation, undeniable bias! Of course. :rolleyes:

We're not kids here. To a large degree, I think this forum has proven to have a large majority of members who are intelligent and civilized enough to be here to talk in a constructive manner. If polls are favoring a certain console, it doesn't necessarely have to be bias but can be quite simply just preference.

Most of us are simple minded consumers with finite money. For most of us it boils down to a choice, because we can't afford, or don't want to get both. Some of us have the money to get both, but might not because we have limited room or we don't want to change around our livingroom to accomondate both. Some of us simply have too little time to focus on the offerings of two consoles (let alone 3), so yes, in the end, most of us make a choice.

Some of us have been happy PlayStation users since the PSone days and for those of us, the choice of getting a PS4 is easy. Why should we change? We're used to the gaming experience, we're used to the controller - and the PS4 doesn't deviate much from what we had in the past. Moving on to the next one is just a logical choice. Is that bias? Not necessarely. We don't want Xbox to fail - in fact, there are heaps of members here from the other side of the pond who started on Xbox one and are happy to see the new direction Xbox One will take them.

Just because some of us take enjoyment out of analyzing the market and the choices both these console manufacturers have made, does not make us biased.

And I take offense if people make it out to be as such. The people who are yet and yet again whinging about bias come across as in denial to me. Perhaps it's time to realize that there's more to the average consumer than bias and that there are some here, as seen by the poll results, who are not happy with the direction Microsoft is taking them. That hasn't got anything to do with bias, nor has it got anything to do with bias that some of us are actively engaging in discussions about it - regardless if we are PS3 or X360 owners.

If we look at the poll - the interesting results are not the people like me, who are progressing from the PS3 to the PS4 - or the members who will be progressing from X360 to Xbox One. The interesting point are those who are changing from a PS3 to a Xbox One and those will change from the X360 to a PS4. And these decisions likely boil down to differing business strategies. And this is the interesting aspect - and these transitions have absolutely nothing to do with bias, but with the reasons we have been discussion since weeks here on this forum: DRM, hardware trade-offs, different business direction.

Remember that typically on those forums it's only the vocal dissenters that tend to post there.

Back