Microsoft Xbox E3 2013 Events - Xbox: A new Generation of Games Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new Xbox 360 "mini" is actually called the Xbox 360 E. It's not a whole different from the Xbox 360 S. It still has a power brick, still has HDMI out, composite output, Kinect port, Ethernet & USB connections. Still uses the Xbox 360 S internal hard drives. What's different? Only 2 USB ports on back(3 on S & not sure about front ports), no optical audio out, composite connection is a round 3.5mm connector & the power cord port is round.

The biggest issue is the removal of the optical out. I don't think it will affect those buying them, but just another thing for the core to complain about. Coolest thing is the hard drive is the same as the 360 S. I might end up buying one after all. Unfortunately, $200 for the 4gb & $300 for the 250gb model is hard to swallow. It should $100 & $200 respectively instead. Maybe they are waiting until September when all the remaining 360 S inventory should be gone?

Tommy McClain

Looks like the new game features this generation is "challenges". Major Nelson announced the new achivement & challenges system....

With Xbox One, we are once again breaking the mold and this time, we want consumers to reap more tangible benefits. In addition to Gamerscore, which will remain as a critical part of the Xbox gaming experience (and yes, your Gamerscore from Xbox 360 will carry forward to Xbox One – there’s only ONE Gamerscore (see what I did there?)), consumers can now unlock digital artwork, new maps, unlockable characters, and temporary stat boosts via achievements. And this is not limited to games! Other Xbox One applications such as video and music apps can now use Achievements to bring you awesome sneak peek content, early access, or subscription extensions. Only games will give you Gamerscore.
There are now two types of Achievements: achievements and challenges. An achievement is probably already familiar. There’s a goal or activity you must accomplish and a reward that you receive upon completion. You can unlock an achievement at any time, be it on a game’s launch day or 3 years later. I guess you can say an achievement is like a promise in that sense. A challenge, on the other hand, is more like an opportunity – better grab it while you can! It is also comprised of a goal and a reward; however, challenges are time-bound (as in, real life time). That means you can only unlock during its eligible time window, and if you get close but don’t complete the goal when it ends… *Kanye shrug*

So challenges are time based, do not give Gamerscore, can cross titles(achievements don't) & can be unlocked by the community. Interesting.

Also...

They often are associated with a Game DVR capture to show your friends that you are better than they are
you can get new achievements without always being required to buy new content (read: free!) or download title updates

http://majornelson.com/2013/06/12/xbox-one-achievements/

Sounds like went all out on evolving the achievement system. Achivements now unlock more than an icon & Gamerscore. Now you can unlock all kinds of stuff. Challenges seem cool, but odd that they don't add to your Gamerscore. Will be interesting to see how developers take advantage of these new features.

Tommy McClain

Isn't it sad that no one...I mean really no one talks about the Insomniac X1 exclusive title? I really feel sorry for them...I really like their games, even Fuse is imo an entertaining game.

After they got so much anger from people after they changed the Fuse style from comics to 'realistic'...I guess that Sunset Override is their attempt to fill this gap. I feel sorry for them, as it seems to me they lost their self-esteem and only hunt for what so-called gaming press and gaming fans want.

I am looking forward to see Sunset Override gameplay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm. Hadn't looked at it. The cynic could say that 1) You can't trust what this shows will end up being the game you get. Or even 2) MS paid Insomniac to make an exclusive which is where they took the better parts of the Fuse game, and released the leftovers as Fuse.

I wish achievements/trophies would evolve into something worth value like 15% off your next purchase title if you accomplish all achievements/trophies.

Isn't it sad that no one...I mean really no one talks about the Insomniac X1 exclusive title? I really feel sorry for them...I really like their games, even Fuse is imo an entertaining game.

After they got so much anger from people after they changed the Fuse style from comics to 'realistic'...I guess that Sunset Override is their attempt to fill this gap. I feel sorry for them, as it seems to me they lost their self-esteem and only hunt for what so-called gaming press and gaming fans want.

I dunno all we got was a cgi trailer and its hard to get excited about that stuff

Smoke and mirrors. Overpriced console with ideas of being a media centre. I think we've been here before.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/microsoft-defends-the-xbox-ones-licensing-used-game-policies/

It’s a “family” affair

Since its announcement, there has been some confusion over the details of sharing your Xbox One game library with up to ten "family members." Mehdi couldn't give comprehensive details, but he did clarify some things.

For one, a family member doesn't have to be a "blood relative," he said, eliminating the extremely unlikely possibility that the Xbox One would include a built-in blood testing kit. For another, they don't have to live in the primary owner's house—I could name a friend that lives 3,000 miles away as one of my "family members" Mehdi said.

You'll be able to link other Xbox Live accounts as having shared access to your library when you first set up a system and will also be able to add them later on (though specific details of how you manage these relationships is still not being discussed). The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time. All in all, this does sound like a pretty convenient feature that's more workable than simply passing discs around amongst friends who are actually in your area.

That's pretty awesome!

It will be interesting to see if, like Sony has had with a few games like for instance Warhawk and Gran Turismo, there is a waiting period in-between (in Sony's case, 24 hours).

Hmm. Hadn't looked at it. The cynic could say that 1) You can't trust what this shows will end up being the game you get. Or even 2) MS paid Insomniac to make an exclusive which is where they took the better parts of the Fuse game, and released the leftovers as Fuse.

I had that feeling when I saw this game using the art-style that was removed from Fuse half-way through. Official story is that focus testing resulted in that decision change for Fuse, but to then see this artstyle return as an exclusive game for Xbox One, makes that somewhat harder to accept.

I wish achievements/trophies would evolve into something worth value like 15% off your next purchase title if you accomplish all achievements/trophies.

"Kill a combined 1,000,000,000 people online with melee attacks during specified holiday events"

:p

I thought the trailer looked fantastic. It ways more like watching a cartoon than a video game. If it actually plays that way, it's going to be amazing.

I also think it's sad that there's no talk about Dead Rising 3. That game also looked great. Huge, open world, zillions of zombies, almost as many weapons & combinations, vehicle support, smart glass support, and best all.. from what they showed.. no timed missions.

Along with Titanfall, Spark, and Quantum Break, the One has gobs of exclusives for all different genres. It's an extremely impressive lineup that they simply aren't getting proper credit for.

"Kill a combined 1,000,000,000 people online with melee attacks during specified holiday events"

:p

Actually, I think challenges are a pretty big deal for those of us who "secretly" must be number 1 on our friends leaderboard lists. I mean, I spent HOURS playing the worst pinball table ever created in the history of mankind "Rome" all because Al beat my score and sent me a "suck it" (that's me paraphrasing). And, I see him trying to beat my Star Wars score (not happening) each time he's logged in all because I sent a "suck it" (again, paraphrasing). Personally, I'm glad joker went PC only because I no longer have to obsess over his damn Robotron score. You'd think I'd have some Midway insider secrets on that damn gamn...but no...:devilish:

Actually, I think challenges are a pretty big deal for those of us who "secretly" must be number 1 on our friends leaderboard lists. I mean, I spent HOURS playing the worst pinball table ever created in the history of mankind "Rome" all because Al beat my score and sent me a "suck it" (that's me paraphrasing). And, I see him trying to beat my Star Wars score (not happening) each time he's logged in all because I sent a "suck it" (again, paraphrasing). Personally, I'm glad joker went PC only because I no longer have to obsess over his damn Robotron score. You'd think I'd have some Midway insider secrets on that damn gamn...but no...:devilish:

ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back