XBox One, PS4, DRM, and You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Here's how you normally deal with mistakes:

1. you recognise you made a mistake
2. you admit you made a mistake and apologise
3. you rectify the mistake

So yeah, while there's still a fair bit of damage done to the company's image, I think they absolutely made the right decision. The negativity from many in the press regarding this policy (there are a lot of collectors in there) has put everything about the Xbox One in a negative light, with the press (and enthusiast public) having a strong desire to see things in a negative light.

So the best thing they could do is start with removing that 'desire'.

EDIT: even on Jimmy Fallon, Microsoft got punished for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csr6ahk5RMg

The flaw in your assumption is that their policies were a mistake. Those weren't a mistake. The mistake was the communication plan. MS has now compounded their mistake by backpedalling from a forward-looking set of policies to a pander to a bunch a worthless, clueless luddites.

The flaw in your assumption is that their policies were a mistake. Those weren't a mistake. The mistake was the communication plan. MS has now compounded their mistake by backpedalling from a forward-looking set of policies to a pander to a bunch a worthless, clueless luddites.

What was so good in checking on me every 24 hours or not letting me do whatever I want with a game disc I own? Internet is weird .

Microsoft messed up because they didn't have their message ready to respond to the leaks when they happened. The leaks about DRM came out and speculation ran wild. The pitchforks were out and the vocal "core" gamer was very angry. Gaming "journalists" pushed the story and Microsoft wasn't ready to respond. Funny seeing the same sites run stories implying this is a step back. So far a lot of the devs I've seen on twitter have not outright complained about the change, but have tweeted links that imply they aren't too happy about it. Gamestop is probably really happy. I don't really see that as a good thing. Some forum warriors are happy. I guess that's ok. Personally, it doesn't make much of a difference to me. I'm not sure how consoles will make the jump to an all-digital marketplace after this fiasco. It'll be interesting to see how this affects game pricing. Are digital sales allowed to undercut disc prices? Will game prices go up?

I don't think there cloud plans are effected at all they will just put on the box this game requires a internet connection to function .

I expect Microsoft to slowly roll out benifits for buying digital copies of your game over the boxed version ......like free skins or DLC to try and get everyone used to going digital .
Special weekend sales they have a vision that's for sure a digital future so now they will try harder to get to there after being knock back .

They will use the cloud to drag everyone there by putting it into as many games as possible its already happening look at how many next Gen games need a internet connection for single player .:)

Which ones require a net connection? Do we have info on this? As far as I know, it was only BF3 which required net to play sp uptill now.

So, what happens to 'teh Cloud power' now ;) ? Now that MS can't guarantee internet acces to all devs.....

Why the wink? If it's the case that developers don't use this resource now, no matter how much it actually would have have added to their games in practice, isn't it tragic? Only fanboys would be happy with that outcome.

I don't actually think it will make much of a difference, though. Anyone who was not buying the XBOne because it had to be online obviously wasn't going to be playing those games before, so I don't see why they would matter now. I also think ERP's right about most games having an important enough online component that consumers will be motivated to keep their systems connected even if it's not mandatory.

OTOH, now that both consoles arw on the same turf, now there will be competition ! Sony had just got everything in their kitty before this. Frankly, I wasn't expecting MS to bow down as their intended customer, the US, woudl have still bought the box.

Many wouldn't have and some still won't. Not at that price. US buyers are generally very price-sensitive and only some brands are able to overcome that tendency. I don't think XBOX is one of them.

Microsoft messed up because they didn't have their message ready to respond to the leaks when they happened. The leaks about DRM came out and speculation ran wild. The pitchforks were out and the vocal "core" gamer was very angry. Gaming "journalists" pushed the story and Microsoft wasn't ready to respond. Funny seeing the same sites run stories implying this is a step back. So far a lot of the devs I've seen on twitter have not outright complained about the change, but have tweeted links that imply they aren't too happy about it. Gamestop is probably really happy. I don't really see that as a good thing. Some forum warriors are happy. I guess that's ok. Personally, it doesn't make much of a difference to me. I'm not sure how consoles will make the jump to an all-digital marketplace after this fiasco. It'll be interesting to see how this affects game pricing. Are digital sales allowed to undercut disc prices? Will game prices go up?

Do you think publishers and developers were happy with Sony's Microphone drop stunt?

Why the wink? If it's the case that developers don't use this resource now, no matter how much it actually would have have added to their games in practice, isn't it tragic? Only fanboys would be happy with that outcome.

I don't actually think it will make much of a difference, though. Anyone who was not buying the XBOne because it had to be online obviously wasn't going to be playing those games before, so I don't see why they would matter now. I also think ERP's right about most games having an important enough online component that consumers will be motivated to keep their systems connected even if it's not mandatory.

Many wouldn't have and some still won't. Not at that price. US buyers are generally very price-sensitive and only some brands are able to overcome that tendency. I don't think XBOX is one of them.

The wink was just because MS was touting it as a big feature which can come to fruition only if they can guarantee that all players will be online. Guess it will be segregated to MP games mostly. I still don't see what they can offer with the cloud which can't be done otherwise. Demons Souls had ana amzing implementation on its own.

Let's assume this is true. It would be an obvious advantage for them to have the best of both worlds and be a potential selling point for the system that needs all of the selling points it can get to justify the $100 price premium. Why do you think they aren't doing it, then? Laziness? Spite?

No idea. Reflecting on the lack of clarity about a number of their policies, it almost feels like it was all put together at the last minute. Although it's been hinted by folks here, in the know, that some aspects of Xbox One (like some tools) aren't as far advanced as Microsoft would like, it's really hard to believe that their policies weren't close-to-final with all the considerations carefully mapped some time before the 22 May event, or E3. But lack of finalisation would explain a lot.

It may be that the shared library idea actually was a last minute brainwave but had some hurdles ahead of it - and given the other changes they now have to implement, it was better to sideline it for the time being.

Laziness? No, but lack of time is a possibility. Spite? No, because billion dollar companies investing hundreds of millions in billion dollar markets are generally don't make decisions based on emotion, but it does look a little like Microsoft threw their toys out of the pram over this - there's not a lot they can do about perception though. In terms of mis-communication, they are definitely on a roll.

The wink was just because MS was touting it as a big feature which can come to fruition only if they can guarantee that all players will be online. Guess it will be segregated to MP games mostly. I still don't see what they can offer with the cloud which can't be done otherwise. Demons Souls had ana amzing implementation on its own.

I have a suspicion many games will be sold as "online only".

And now you think they can't offer this feature and this makes you happy? I don't get it.

The cloud compute resources that are allocated for XBOne titles are free, apparently, so the reasons these features wouldn't be offered without XBOne's cloud services specifically aren't technical, they're economic.

First-party and 3rd-party exclusive SP games will definitely find ways to use the cloud services. Multiplatform SP games may not, though MS may $$incentivize$$ developers to use them to enable XBOne-exclusive features.

And now you think they can't offer this feature and this makes you happy? I don't get it.

The cloud compute resources that are allocated for XBOne titles are free, apparently, so the reasons these features wouldn't be offered without XBOne's cloud services specifically aren't technical, they're economic.

First-party and 3rd-party exclusive SP games will definitely find ways to use the cloud services. Multiplatform SP games may not, though MS may $$incentivize$$ developers to use them to enable XBOne-exclusive features.

What makes u think i m happy ?

No idea. Reflecting on the lack of clarity about a number of their policies, it almost feels like it was all put together at the last minute. Although it's been hinted by folks here, in the know, that some aspects of Xbox One (like some tools) aren't as far advanced as Microsoft would like, it's really hard to believe that their policies weren't close-to-final with all the considerations carefully mapped some time before the 22 May event, or E3. But lack of finalisation would explain a lot.

It may be that the shared library idea actually was a last minute brainwave but had some hurdles ahead of it - and given the other changes they now have to implement, it was better to sideline it for the time being.

Laziness? No, but lack of time is a possibility. Spite? No, because billion dollar companies investing hundreds of millions in billion dollar markets are generally don't make decisions based on emotion, but it does look a little like Microsoft threw their toys out of the pram over this - there's not a lot they can do about perception though. In terms of mis-communication, they are definitely on a roll.

If you're not pushing this as the actual explanation, then I can buy the rest. I was only taking issue with the assumption that they were choosing not to offer these features at at launch when they easily could if they wanted.

Well I'm sure it's not just consumer pressure that led to this, I'm sure EA and UBISOFT wouldn't like the fact they could potentially lose 9 sales of their games through the sharing feature.

wasn't it Mattrick (or MajorNelson) that was advocating abusing the system at E3? Guess that wouldn't sit well with their new business partners, EA, or any other publisher.

We don't know yet. We don't know what the ins and outs of the sharing system were. All we know is you can share a game with up to 10 people. We don't know what incentives Microsoft added for the other of the 10 people to also buy the game.
Sony's solution was you can share the game with 5 people (later 2) and have nothing to do with them again. There was account trading going on for a while too.

MS have also, basically, given all these ideas away for free now, and with no way of being the first to implement them come play time.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Sony are formulating a way to implement digital game sharing so they can steal the thunder from MS.

Which ones require a net connection? Do we have info on this? As far as I know, it was only BF3 which required net to play sp uptill now.

Any game that's users smart glass to add to the experience needs a internet connection .......titanfall .......the division ....they need a internet connection for the single players as well .
Other games that are single player like watchdog other extra experiences if your online during single player .
Destiny is online only ...

Its happening already I just expect it to happen more frequently as Microsoft and developers soft ball everyone into a always connected digital future by the back door .
They tried the frontal honest approach now they will do it by stealth .

By the way I was onside already for a always connected digital future .
:)

What makes u think i m happy ?

Maybe it's cultural, but do people wink when they're sad/disappointed where you're from?

If you weren't using that emoticon to indicate smug satisfaction, then I don't know what you were using it to convey. Look at this sentence:

It's a real tragedy developers won't be able to utilize XBOne's cloud services. I'm sure their games will suffer for it. ;)

Am I expressing disappointment there?

What are the chances of selling two versions of the discs retail? Have a section of "Digital Download No Disc Required After Install", along with the regular discs?

This would prevent backlash as there is still consumer choice. What it solves is the current bandwidth issue for some people to get digital "No disc required versions" in the short term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back