PS4, Xbox One: Indie publishing

One question (or maybe two):

does Unity runs inside the win8 VM, or the GameOS VM?
If it is in the GameOS VM, is it the same GameOS where usual games run into?

And last... I guess very obviously, it won't use MONO but rather support for scripting, right?

Unity itself would run on your PC where you'd compile it. You'd use the xbox version of SN-Target something to push it to the SDK which it would run I imagine in some sort of Debug OS state? I guess it's similar to the official game state, with a handful of possible debugging features.

Unity itself would run on your PC where you'd compile it.

I know Unity very well, thanks. What you are referring to, is the Unity Editor. I find highly, highly unlikely that MS will allow to have ANY open binary to run inside their platform.
A possibility would be that unity itself runs in a custom VM - a third OS? But I cant believe that OSes grows up like mushrooms in MS...
So, if it runs inside the GameOS, you want to ensure it doesnt have any special access to anything else but Unity...

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Unity very well, thanks. What you are referring to, is the Unity Editor. I find highly, highly unlikely that MS will allow to have ANY open binary to run inside their platform.
A possibility would be that unity itself runs in a custom VM - a third OS? But I cant believe that OSes grows up like mushrooms in MS...
So, if it runs inside the GameOS, you want to ensure it doesnt have any special access to anything else but Unity...

Lol I'm sorry was not meant to offend. I wasn't sure from the reading of unity at the time - from the slides there is a loader that should push to your Xbox or according from the slides you can pull from your PC. Outside of that bit of knowledge I assume the rest is under NDA

Unity will build to an XBox game, whatever format that is, and run in the same game space as the games built with the native XBSDK. I presume it will support Mono as that's what makes it cross platform! One codebase running on multiple platforms. ;)

doesn't Unity export a project for the iOS which needs to be compiled separately?
Yes. This could well be the case with the XB1 Unity implementation, exporting to an XB1 project that you build within the SDK.

Xbox One ID@Xbox Costs

Sixty Second Shooter Prime developer Happion Labs talked about ID@Xbox costs...

You might think, since Microsoft is giving away their dev kits to early adopters of the ID@Xbox program, as long as you have no offices and pay everyone with rev share you could ship a game for just about nothing. But that’s not quite the case: let's look at how our costs broke down:

Code:
Maintaining the Sixty Second Shooter URL	19

Sending the second dev kit to			63
 Brett Douville

Hardware (usb and video				72
 cables and the like)

Video capture device (for			181
 making trailer)

Localization (French, 				729
 Spanish, Italian, Portuguese)

E&O Insurance					2037

Foreign ratings boards (PEGI,			2042
 USK)

Total						5143

http://www.gamedevblog.com/2014/07/making-a-shoestring-budget-game-for-the-xbox-one.html

Tommy McClain

Just to add to that, a VERY interesting article on the hardships and difficulties indies have to go through these days, :oops: written by an indie developer who gives us some insight on what they have to deal with, especially when people expect indie games to be dirty cheap!

He also talks about the Humble Bundles and stuff. Very interesting article and replies:

http://www.puppygames.net/blog/?p=1574

Back