Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Disagree it was perfectly logical for a relatively cheap system that would leverage existing userbase through BC.
A 500$ is something else. Not that yukon was perfect either, hoping to sell a 299$ platform to TV operators was wishful thinking at best, that is my understatement of the day.
The type of spec they were aiming for was too low for a 2013 release, even with BC and even at an affordable price, core gamers has been loud since launch I think it would be nothing compared to what would have happened if they announced yukon to the world.

Overall they are definitely better off with Durango than with Yukon, especially now that they have price parity. I think they will suffer in EU all this gen in EU /other territories but NA they can do well, they may lose some ground to Sony for a couples of years but in the long run their advantages and strategy may come together.
Now if Sony VR stuff is great are not too expensive, it may further hurt them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see dropping Kinect as an abandonment of the all-in-one device. Microsoft and Sony are both chasing multimedia and as many content streams as possible.

I don't see dropping Kinect as an abandonment of the all-in-one device. Microsoft and Sony are both chasing multimedia and as many content streams as possible.
IMo all in one device in this time and age has nothing to do kinect or HDMI in connector, so I share your pov.

It's a shame they don't see any value in supporting Media Center. Let's hope that Plex and XBMC get released for the Xbox One or they substantially step up their DLNA support. Now that would truly make for better all-in-one device.

It's a shame they don't see any value in supporting Media Center. Let's hope that Plex and XBMC get released for the Xbox One or they substantially step up their DLNA support. Now that would truly make for better all-in-one device.

Plex I can definitely see. Xbmc works around content creators, owners, and distribution networks. I see little light where content providers would maintain support for an Xbox that provides a mechanism to avoid payment.

Here's to hoping though. I actively use xbmc on my dell venue 8 pro tablet and its perfect.

none of those have a live video solution .

I still dont' understand , the one runs windows 8. Windows 8 has media center, why can't they just release it and charge $10 or even $20 bucks. Heck I'd spend $50 to put it on the xbox one.

They are really droping the ball.

Plex I can definitely see. Xbmc works around content creators, owners, and distribution networks. I see little light where content providers would maintain support for an Xbox that provides a mechanism to avoid payment. Here's to hoping though. I actively use xbmc on my dell venue 8 pro tablet and its perfect.

Huh? I've been using XBMC for years and it has nothing to do with content creators, owners or distribution networks. It's media centre software, and is the code from which Plex was forked.

EIther would be good for Xbox One but XBMC would be better because of the thousands of platform independent plugins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh? I've been using XBMC for years and it has nothing to do with content creators, owners or distribution networks. It's media centre software, and is the code from which Plex was forked.

EIther would be good for Xbox One but XBMC would be better because of the thousands of platform independent plugins.

But thats the point. You can get content running without giving a penny to the content creators and network distributors ;)

Xbmc allows for installs of programs like navi-x and mash up which connect to hundreds of repositories where you can watch live video streams of content from around the globe as well as content such as movies and television shows which belong to Viacom, time Warner and Comcast NBC universal without paying them (or Hulu) for the privilege. I've just named the content creators, owners and or distributors in one fell swoop dude.

If you aren't using xbmc with those programs you aren't using it "properly."

Xbmc works around content creators, owners, and distribution networks.
Looking at this again, I thought you mean that XBMC is designed around the needs of content creators and so on but from your other post I'm assuming you mean that XBMC plugins let you circumvent their controls.

My bad.

Local radio station here in Texas was announcing the price drop, nothing else. Recommended that people wait for June 9th before they go out and buy it. I think they grabbed it from a tech show that was saying pretty much the same thing on the AM station. Although they talked about it being a reaction to catch their arch rival. Also said to hold off on buying it.

If they could have had a service-free DVR based on WMC, with built-in CableCard tuners and support for external disks, for $400-500 in addition to the gaming hardware, that would have made the product a lot more attractive to some people.

But I guess WMC wasn't used widely enough, because they're deemphasizing it from Windows.

They supposedly stopped development on WMC a couple of years ago.

If they could have had a service-free DVR based on WMC, with built-in CableCard tuners and support for external disks, for $400-500 in addition to the gaming hardware, that would have made the product a lot more attractive to some people.

But I guess WMC wasn't used widely enough, because they're deemphasizing it from Windows.

Yup its a shame since if they dusted it off and worked on it a bit could be an amazing feature of the MS ecco system.

Imagine from your home pc or xbox one (with a tuner add on) you could stream live tv and your recorded tv to any other windows device. Your windows phone , your surface , your xbox 360 , xbox one , windows pc.

It would be a huge feature and they already have the foundation

none of those have a live video solution .

I still dont' understand , the one runs windows 8. Windows 8 has media center, why can't they just release it and charge $10 or even $20 bucks. Heck I'd spend $50 to put it on the xbox one.

They are really droping the ball.

Actually if you install the right repositories you can get live tv. For example the sportsdevil plugin gives you live sports from around the world. Myself I like the" live streams" tab in the "mash up" video plugin which can give you everything from what's on hbo in America, to live Russian news.

I think an integrated DVR would appeal to some people but the reality is most people get their DVRs through cable or satellite TV operators.

It would have given Tivo a run for its money but that's about it.

The support implications of including cable card and dvr sound horrific given the target audience. If they could simply allow the current xbo tv app and one guide leverage the cable card tuners and recordings on my wmc pc, that would be perfect and elegant.

I think an integrated DVR would appeal to some people but the reality is most people get their DVRs through cable or satellite TV operators.

It would have given Tivo a run for its money but that's about it.

There has been a lot of conjecture on this forum about the use of 360/PS3 or PS4/XB1 for DVR/cable box replacements. IMO its a nonstarter, consoles use too much energy, have too many reliability issues and add too much cost to be a viable alternative.

OTOH if one of the cable companies wanted to offer a streaming IPTV service and host all the stored content on their end I think a cheap set top box that streamed live TV, provided access to stored programing stored on the cable companies servers and even act as a conduit for AAA gaming titles would be an exciting possibility. Any of the Tegra chipsets for example would make a decent choice and I think Android could be used as the OS by any one of the Cable companies in the same way that Amazon uses it but restricts the apps to those that are sold on their proprietary store.

Edit:

IMO local DVR storage needs to go away in much the same way that CDs, Blu Ray and DVD are, remote storage by the content holder with subscription to access offers many advantages to the consumer and IP owners.

There has been a lot of conjecture on this forum about the use of 360/PS3 or PS4/XB1 for DVR/cable box replacements. IMO its a nonstarter, consoles use too much energy, have too many reliability issues and add too much cost to be a viable alternative.

OTOH if one of the cable companies wanted to offer a streaming IPTV service and host all the stored content on their end I think a cheap set top box that streamed live TV, provided access to stored programing stored on the cable companies servers and even act as a conduit for AAA gaming titles would be an exciting possibility. Any of the Tegra chipsets for example would make a decent choice and I think Android could be used as the OS by any one of the Cable companies in the same way that Amazon uses it but restricts the apps to those that are sold on their proprietary store.

Edit:

IMO local DVR storage needs to go away in much the same way that CDs, Blu Ray and DVD are, remote storage by the content holder with subscription to access offers many advantages to the consumer and IP owners.

The problem for cable companies is they lost the legal battles concerning remote DVR solutions. They HAVE to put a hard drive in your home to get the fair use protections on recorded televisions, but the Sat providers, at least, are already moving towards whole home server/thin client models. The DirecTV Genie DVRs now have really small HDMI sticks that are serviced from the tuner via wifi and Dish Network uses small "Joey" clients that can connect to the Hopper DVR via coax or Wifi. Dish also just released their PS3 "Joey" app which is just a software front end for the DVR that runs over the network. A PS4 version is also promised, and in theory Dish could make apps for Roku, FireTV, Android, iOS, etc.

One thing that is changing is the proliferation of "OnDemand" content, which is basically remote DVR under a different name. A true over the top IPTV service should just mandate complete and immediate OnDemand access for everything a channel broadcasts (at least for a window of so many weeks) so that users don't really need a DVR, local or remote. They can instead watch live or hit up OnDemand for things they missed, subscribing to their favorite shows to give them a feed of what's new instead of a list of what was recorded.

EDIT: PlayStation's VitaTV represents potentially a perfect nexus device by combining PlayStation Now, Remote Play, Netflix and Sony's rumored IPTV service.

Back