Controllers and every other aspect of Orbis and Durango

This thread is for discussing the capabilities of next gen consoles other than their technical poweress !

RUMOURS

ORBIS
kotaku :

Controller

Ever since the release of the original PlayStation, Sony has maintained roughly the same basic controller design. This trend may be continuing with the PS4, because we've learned that developers are working with—and dev kits support—both the Sixaxis and DualShock 3 controller. This suggests that, for the most part, the design and capabilities of the PS4's controller will be similar to those on the PS3. The documentation also shows a Move controller, suggesting Sony's Wii-style motion wand will work with the new console.

There is a new controller in development for the PS4, though, known internally as the Orbis Development Tool, and while it keeps many of the same features as the current pads—like the four iconic PlayStation face buttons, two thumbsticks and shoulder triggers—there's one key addition

British site CVG speculated last week that, because they'd heard the PS4's controller was "trying to emulate the same user interface philosophies as the PS Vita", that meant it would feature a touch screen. Instead, the Orbis' controller features a capacitive touch pad, like you find on the back of a Vita (presumably it's also on the back of the PS4's controller), that can recognise two-point multi-touch. The entire pad can also be "clicked" for an additional input button.

The PS4's controller will again be capable of motion-sensing, like its PS3 predecessors, only now with improved technology like tilt correction. It will also feature vibration, which Sony has thankfully learned is a next-gen feature you need to launch with. It'll also have an RGB LED light in it.

While there have been reports of the PS4 controller featuring "biometric" technology, there was no mention of it in the information we were provided.

There's one other addition to the PS4's pad you won't find on a DualShock 3: a "Share" button. We're not exactly sure what it does. The most likely use would be to allow users to share some aspect of their gaming experience to Twitter or Facebook. Maybe a screenshot? We have no idea. But that Share button might have something to do with...

ACCOUNTS

original.jpg

Sony is trying to change the way you think about user accounts with the PS4. As it stands now, and this applies to all current consoles the PS3 (and the Wii U), when you log in, you log in as a single user. With Orbis, Sony is moving the place of "ownership" away from the console, with something it calls "multi-user simultaneous logins."

Which means that the PS4 will let more than one person be logged into the same system at the same time. It achieves this by linking control pads to user accounts; as each new controller syncs with the system, that player's account can be logged in as well. Accounts won't be "locked" to a controller; you'll simply be prompted to sign in to an account every time an extra pad is connected to the console.

One application we learned about for this feature would be that, were four players in a co-op battle able to defeat a boss, then all four would receive trophies.

We only learned of this feature in relation to local accounts stored on the console itself. It's unclear whether you'd also be able to do this via the PlayStation Network if you were playing online.

DURANGO

Kinect 2.0
images

xbox next may act as a set top box.
3GB for OS.

I'm more interested in Kinect 2 than any other piece of tech in any system (that we've heard about so far anyway).

I'm expect the full ability of Kinect to be available at any time, be that games, background apps that run in the 3GB of reserved space, or to allow Xbox 3 to jump in over the top of your set top box (connected using the HDMI in).

If the leaks are accurate it's the totality of Xbox 3's integration into everything you do on your tv, and the integration of Kinect with that, that will truly set Xbox 3 apart.

For example, you're watching Red Shoe Diaries on your set top box, and you say "Xbox BING IMDB David Duchovney" and the results are overlayed onto the overly contrived and ultimately disappointing erotic drama. There's no pause because Bingnect is already always loaded into the 3GB ram. Then you use gestures to select the link you want to go to - Xbox scales the Red Shoe Diaries input to a window in the corner of your screen, while Internet Explorer takes up the majority of the screen. Then you decide to play Halo while the dry, narrative bits of the show are on, and you tab into the dashboard at will to see where the show is up to. When you want to watch again you simply leave Halo paused while you fullscreen the HDMI input by pointing at the TV stream window or saying "Xbox - TV nao".

I'm looking forward to playing with a biometric controller in the next gen. Both, Sony and Microsoft, filled patents for a biometric controller and even Gabe Newell said that he is very keen on this tech. So I really hope that biometric controls are available for the next gen systems. I can imagine thousand of ways how this tech could be tons of fun.

I also like the idea of the touchpad (like that on the back of the Vita) that is rumored for the new PlayStation, even though I think that I'm a minority with this opinion... ;)

I'm looking forward to playing with a biometric controller in the next gen. Both, Sony and Microsoft, filled patents for a biometric controller and even Gabe Newell said that he is very keen on this tech. So I really hope that biometric controls are available for the next gen systems. I can imagine thousand of ways how this tech could be tons of fun.

I also like the idea of the touchpad (like that on the back of the Vita) that is rumored for the new PlayStation, even though I think that I'm a minority with this opinion... ;)

To be honest Hecatoncheires, I can't think of a single usefull application for either bio-sensors nor a single back-facing touchpad (without the accompanying front one).

If Sony's Dual shock Orbis was effectively a Vita, with both front and back touch screens I think it'd have more promise. In my opinion however i'd be far more interested in a break-apart Move style controller, with all the buttons/stick functionality of a DS, and the motion and 3D positioning of the Move. I envisage something akin to that prototype control system that Sony developer was making Youtube vids with, where he'd attached two move wands to two nav controllers, and carried one in each hand. That would provide the absolute ultimate in gameplay and game design functionality and flexibility (i.e. twin sticks avec all your buttons, plus 3D positioning with 1:1 motion gestures and control for each hand).

Bio-sensors offer very little to gaming in my eyes. As it's less of a control interface and more of gimmick when the emphasis shifts away from conscious control and the system only reads or senses your subconscious reactions. It's pointless to me, as what's the point of the game knowing that you're scared through sensor data, when you can simply assume that will be the case with proper game, narrative, aesthetic, atmospheric and environment design. It should be the game devs that design gameplay scenarios to build suspense, not some robotic feature that auto-generates monster closets when you least expect it :devilish:

I'm more interested in Kinect 2 than any other piece of tech in any system (that we've heard about so far anyway).

I'm expect the full ability of Kinect to be available at any time, be that games, background apps that run in the 3GB of reserved space, or to allow Xbox 3 to jump in over the top of your set top box (connected using the HDMI in).

If the leaks are accurate it's the totality of Xbox 3's integration into everything you do on your tv, and the integration of Kinect with that, that will truly set Xbox 3 apart.

For example, you're watching Red Shoe Diaries on your set top box, and you say "Xbox BING IMDB David Duchovney" and the results are overlayed onto the overly contrived and ultimately disappointing erotic drama. There's no pause because Bingnect is already always loaded into the 3GB ram. Then you use gestures to select the link you want to go to - Xbox scales the Red Shoe Diaries input to a window in the corner of your screen, while Internet Explorer takes up the majority of the screen. Then you decide to play Halo while the dry, narrative bits of the show are on, and you tab into the dashboard at will to see where the show is up to. When you want to watch again you simply leave Halo paused while you fullscreen the HDMI input by pointing at the TV stream window or saying "Xbox - TV nao".

I want more gaming things than "apps" things. All this looks more like a multimedia pc than a game console, and I want a game console (with a game controller).

I want either oculus rift support or a type of hmd .
Also the dualshock design is not at all good . I want Sony to lower the height of the thumbsticks . It's really a problem to adjust the aim ; my left thumb always gets fold( the joint from where the thumb finger starts ) whenever I try to move the left stick total upwards . Also I like the left stick placement of x360 .

I remember the October 2005 conference at IGN, Mark Rein was really in "hate" mode against motion gaming... he picked up a 360 controller from under the desk, presented it to the crowd and declared "This is the xbox controller. And there's NOTHING WRONG with it!" Despite his obviously wrong attitude toward the Wii, I agreed with him that motion gaming would create too many gimmick games, and devs would try to make a game around the controller. Then hardcore gaming would suffer.

If they can include motion gaming with only a small additional cost, it's fine. These peripherals are great, but they should be optional otherwise the hardcore crowd is paying the price. They're shoving them down our throat with billions in publicity. The end result is that we'll get a "gimped" console next gen, so that motion gaming can be included.

I agree the Sony HMD solution or MS video Wall, are looking great as optional peripheral, because the game doesn't have to be designed around it, they can be optional and will enhance the experience. I hope they'll push in that direction. The casual crowd can buy the WiiU, while we'll be satisfied with AAA games on PS4/720.

The basic controller doesn't need additional "inputs" and touch sensors, it needs a more elaborate physical feedback than the weak rumble we have now. That would help a lot with motion gaming. The recent Sony CTO interview was talking about great haptic feedback ideas but that it was still 5 years away. Maybe we'll get an interim solution... or a new controller 3 years after launch.

(and there are so many things we could have right now if it wasn't for the patent trolls, the whole VR industry is a patent mine field)

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO,

Keyboard + Mouse + current Xbox controller + more performant Kinect controller (combined with motion control recogniseable props [baseball bat, golf club, gun, etc.]) = perfection. :)

Regards,
SB

Force feedback analog sticks would be nice. Also touchpad input without the LCD would fit well with HMDs, second screen functionality that could never be used as an integral feature in game design if they plan to push VR heavily, which i hope they do.

Force feedback analog sticks would be nice. Also touchpad input without the LCD would fit well with HMDs, second screen functionality that could never be used as an integral feature in game design if they plan to push VR heavily, which i hope they do.

Agree with this. Vita style touchpad and haptic feedback thumbsticks would be the right direction to evolve the gamepad. If Sony intends to go for HMD and leverage thier oled technology it doesn't make to include a screen on the gamepad.

How about more clickable sticks? Not just when you push them in but when you push far left, right, up and down you get a click. That could be used to go from cover to cover, jump over obstacles and turn quickly around.

It'd be fiddly, and possibly fragile as well. The sticks, being mechanical, are already susceptible to impacts and wear. Now add a multitude of additional microswitches - it just complicates things when we can already do all the things you mention by using one or two discrete controller buttons...

Sony could also join 2 move without the orb and with analog sticks together and call it dual shock 4

I also like the convenience of the wii u controller except the battery . It really is a boon of having a portable iPad mini or razer edge like device consisting a full joystick with a screen between 8-10inch fullhd ips ! And only used to streaming games with no lag and on a private streaming chip like wii u .

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO,

Keyboard + Mouse + current Xbox controller + more performant Kinect controller (combined with motion control recogniseable props [baseball bat, golf club, gun, etc.]) = perfection. :)

Regards,
SB

The Move controller is a great couch replacement of the mouse already. If they can make it as pinpoint precise as the old guncons then I'm all for having that next gen.

I haven't seen this discussed yet although with so many damn rooms going on around now all seemingly discussing the same thing it could well have been..

Microsoft s illumiroom tech demo....
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...ojection-is-this-the-xbox-720s-killer-feature

Looks suspiciously like the original kinect star wars demo....and that made It into production. ..
Im thinking microsoft has learnt a great deal and will want to distinguish its new uber console with a bit more than just the same trodden screen graphics....having one of these intergrated on every next gen console..or just a boxed controller with every console.... would really make the 720 stand above ps4 if all it has is an improved move controller and kinect copying eye toy...

Illumiroom's been covered twice (initial patent and YouTube concept vid). Use the search function - "illumiroom".

Illumiroom's been covered twice (initial patent and YouTube concept vid). Use the search function - "illumiroom".

Thanks shifty. ..although it is still a valid talking point.
-will the next gen budget include one of these integrated into the box?

Or are we talking another kinct like offering...where by they could sell a shed load to all their mid range xbox 360 loyalist in stall base? Ala kinect snd maybe kinect 2?
-they could perhaps included both systems inside kinect 2 no?...and include one kinect 2 bundled with every 720....making up for the obvious disparity in internal 720 BOM compared to 360 BOM at launch.

That last scenario would allow Microsoft to recoup a ton of money by selling the system back to 360 users..who would gladly swap for their kinect.
It would also ensure all 720 games can be developed with wih both devices in mind..can you imagine such a gsming scenario? ...very very unique and interesing.

Thought?
-

Back