News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
So MS, Apple and Sony's proxy patent troll just launched a full on assault against Android:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/01/j...icrosoft-file-lawsuit-against-google-samsung/

Curious if this will have any ramifications for things like Youtube support on the PS4?

Cheers
I posted the same news -from a different source- elsewhere without having read this thread before. I think this is going to get interesting. It shouldn't affect Youtube though, because Google would rather prefer to promote it everywhere, but we shall see.

Don't discuss the patent here. I've moved that discussion to General Discussion. deathindustrial's post remains because he's asking specifically about YT support on PS4. Presumably the same concern applies to MS as they are also plaintiffs and contributors to the sham lair of scummy lawyers that is Rockstar Consortium.

Rarity of the trophy cannot be displayed ... So looks like something changed in the PS4 Trophy system?

Edit: 1000 different crowd models, up from 42? I think next-gen Madden could use some of that

A journalist did some digging, and some developers and trade show managers commented on the overheating rumor.
The rumor seems to be BS.
Given that the rumor basically stemmed from a PS4 automatically shutting down after being used for 10 hours in a small and ventless acrylic glass box, I'm not surprised it's a non-problem.

Loved the wink in Mr. Yoshida's twitter post:

1hi4z.gif

Vita 3.0 firmware coming to deal with PS4:
They need to migrate the remote play stuff directly into the firmware instead of putting it in a separate app which the user needs to poke repeatedly at the screen to start.

Also, I wish they'd redesign the entire menu system of the vita, because it looks lame as hell and it fairly sucks.

They need to migrate the remote play stuff directly into the firmware instead of putting it in a separate app which the user needs to poke repeatedly at the screen to start.

Everything is an independently launched app! :mad: I'm sure there's a reason for it, but I still don't like it.

Also, I wish they'd redesign the entire menu system of the vita, because it looks lame as hell and it fairly sucks.

Couldn't agree more.

That said, I still love my little Vita (in a cool gadget sort of way). Should be a great companion device for the PS4. Would be an even better companion and overall standalone device with a better interface (not just in terms of atheistic but intuitiveness and functionality as well).

I'm sure there's a reason for it, but I still don't like it.
I'm wavering between indecisiveness and inability to commit to the idea of vita as a companion device for PS4 and allocating the proper resources to make it happen on one hand, and on the other hand just plain old ineptness. (In all fairness, I must admit there is a third possibility also... Lack of time, perhaps? Knowing Sony though, the first two have a lot of weight to them. ;))

Don't they SEE that this kind of feature needs to be baseline in the hardware, IE "just work" in an apple sort of way, if it's to really catch hold? Maybe they're too close to both the problem and the solution to realize that the step they just took is just almost but not quite.

That said, I still love my little Vita (in a cool gadget sort of way).
It's a super well made device, the hardware is really solid in every meaning of the word, both quality and performance. The menus are just annoying though. I poke at one of those jittery M&Ms on the home screen (wonder where they got that from? lol), expecting the appropriate app to start. No, then it flips open a new window with a new icon I have to poke at to really start the app, plus some other options and ADS on top, to totally unrelated software on sale in the PSN store! WHAT THE EFF! Terrible design.

I wish they'd just clean it up, lose the silly flipping-leaf animations, gradients, jiggly buttons and all of that crap. And go through the options screens, there's just WAY too many options there. It's confusing, difficult to actually find stuff you need to find, and the built-in help is often bad too. "Zuumax on/off: enable zuumax" Erh, okay? Why do I need this? What does it do? No idea! There's like 20 of those spread out in the vita config menus.

The UI is completely navigable from the d-pad and x button. You don't have to touch the screen to launch the app. I'm not sure what would be a better way to initiate Remote Play on Vita. You'd have to go into a menu and tell it to start in any case.

I did not expect much from this event when they announced it... but now even Sony is hyping it.

It's actually kinda a smart move rather than waiting to share the stage at the VGAs this winter. They've held so much back that it isn't like they have a shortage of games they could announce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back