News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Nolan North basically outed Uncharted for PS4? :???: ... :smile: ... :D

Nah, he said he didn't know what game it was. I'm sure he would have recognised a nextgen Drake running and gunning ;)

Nah, he said he didn't know what game it was. I'm sure he would have recognised a nextgen Drake running and gunning ;)
No no, it was a ploy, it was a trick, he said that because he was under duress... but heroic Nolan subtly leaked it anyway :yep2:

How are Naughty Dog going to need so many development kits? Shouldn't one or twice enough for every developer? One thing is for sure, suffice to say they are going to make the first place in the ranking list for how many SDKs they have.

I belive that old Uncharted 3 team got their PS4 devkits long ago, but that new TLOU team is now ramping up their PS4 work. They just need to announce when they will release that singleplayer DLC for TLOU...

Do we have pics of final dev kits? Are they the same janky looking MicroCenter refurb special cases or something more akin to the consumer production design?

I belive that old Uncharted 3 team got their PS4 devkits long ago, but that new TLOU team is now ramping up their PS4 work. They just need to announce when they will release that singleplayer DLC for TLOU...

Hopefully at the same time they will announce a PS4 version of the TLOU with higher res assets, available for DDL on day one (and for free..) :LOL:

PS4 devkits (FCC documentation).

ps4-dev-kit-front-back.jpg

This is pretty much identical to the first leaked PS4 devkits, aside the the third additional USB port on the left.
Shifty has seen one so he can confirm or deny if this is the final design.

How are Naughty Dog going to need so many development kits? Shouldn't one or twice enough for every developer? One thing is for sure, suffice to say they are going to make the first place in the ranking list for how many SDKs they have.

You also want testers to have something to work with? And who knows they have a graphics pipeline that allows artists to preview in-game as well.

So they stuck with the MicroCenter special, huh? Oh well. :LOL:

Thanks. Nice find by the way.

Those rear facing ports seem awkwardly placed (similar to the awkward placement on the retail unit). Looking forward to seeing one cracked open and dissected (at least for the retail unit).

PS4 devkits (FCC documentation).

This is pretty much identical to the first leaked PS4 devkits, aside the the third additional USB port on the left.
Shifty has seen one so he can confirm or deny if this is the final design.
The one I saw was an old one. Just like this old photo. The new one may look swanky, although there's no reason for it to. The ND photo shows 120 boxes, which look about the same size as the box I saw the PS4 devkit in, so I guess they are the sane size. A pallet of PS4's was the same size with 3 PS4's per box.

Hopefully at the same time they will announce a PS4 version of the TLOU with higher res assets, available for DDL on day one (and for free..) :LOL:

Well in the Gamasutra interview with Cerny it was mentioned that there are a few easier ( not easy ) ways to port PS3 concepts to the PS4 so hopefully a PS4 version is too far away. The higher res assets might be the sticking point since there is a lot of textures involved (or lots of art ). I wonder if they down-rezed high rez original textures for the PS3 and will be able to use those original textures or if they will have to essentially make new ones. Could they interpolate higher rez textures ???

Now I'm wondering just what it would take to port a ps3 to ps4 game assuming it was a straight port meaning no extra levels or gameplay elements that have to be tested over and over again. You would probably need to rework the animations and some physics as well as adding to new rendering and textures and such. More likely I haven't had enough coffee to know when I am out of my depth ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well in the Gamasutra interview with Cerny it was mentioned that there are a few easier ( not easy ) ways to port PS3 concepts to the PS4 so hopefully a PS4 version is too far away. The higher res assets might be the sticking point since there is a lot of textures involved (or lots of art ). I wonder if they down-rezed high rez original textures for the PS3 and will be able to use those original textures or if they will have to essentially make new ones. Could they interpolate higher rez textures ???

Now I'm wondering just what it would take to port a ps3 to ps4 game assuming it was a straight port meaning no extra levels or gameplay elements that have to be tested over and over again. You would probably need to rework the animations and some physics as well as adding to new rendering and textures and such. More likely I haven't had enough coffee to know when I am out of my depth ;-)

I'm hoping they used higher rendered textures that were reduced to fit on the PS3. If they can basically port the KZ 3 engine to the vita then I've got pretty high hopes for their PS4 development path. In general that is, obviously ND and Guerilla have different methodologies to their development stream.

I guess it's all down to how dependant on cell they were and how well that can translate into GPGPU on the PS4.

I'm hoping they used higher rendered textures that were reduced to fit on the PS3. If they can basically port the KZ 3 engine to the vita then I've got pretty high hopes for their PS4 development path. In general that is, obviously ND and Guerilla have different methodologies to their development stream.

I guess it's all down to how dependant on cell they were and how well that can translate into GPGPU on the PS4.

If they haven't been doing this for at least the last 5 years(or however long they've been doing HD ports of PS2 games) then they are just wrong. I would actually be surprised if any Sony game released this yr doesn't have a PS4 version in the works.

I guess it's all down to how dependant on cell they were and how well that can translate into GPGPU on the PS4..

Well from the Gamasutra article

...middleware will have a need for compute as well. And the middleware requests for work on the GPU will need to be properly blended with game requests, and then finally properly prioritized relative to the graphics on a moment-by-moment basis."

This concept grew out of the software Sony created, called SPURS, to help programmers juggle tasks on the CELL's SPUs -- but on the PS4, it's being accomplished in hardware.

There was also something about adjusting the caches and busses to support a SPURS -like system.

http://www.gamechup.com/ps4-will-ha...ng-to-replicate-ps3-spu-runtime-system-cerny/

He also revealed that they are trying to replicate the SPU Runtime System of the PS3. If you remember the SPUs were able to do little tasks very efficiently and at lightning speed, reducing the load off the GPU. Since the PS4 doesn’t have the Cell processor, there needs to be a different way achieve the same effect. Cerny explains how they are trying to accomplish this.

“We’re trying to replicate the SPU Runtime System (SPURS) of the PS3 by heavily customizing the cache and bus,” he said. ”SPURS is designed to virtualize and independently manage SPU resources. For the PS4 hardware, the GPU can also be used in an analogous manner as x86-64 to use resources at various levels.

How ND maps PPU code to the CPU and how much SPU type processes get taken up the CUs is another level of complexity but there seems to be some form of "legacy-ness" to help shift from well utilized Cell code and the new CPU/GPU hybrid system in the PS4.

By the by the Gamastura article ( http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/inside_the_playstation_4_with_mark_.php?page=3 ) also had a bit about dealing with bottlenecks and specifically mentioned vertex bottlenecks

"There are a broad variety of techniques we've come up with to reduce the vertex bottlenecks, in some cases they are enhancements to the hardware," said Cerny. "The most interesting of those is that you can use compute as a frontend for your graphics."

This technique, he said, is "a mix of hardware, firmware inside of the GPU, and compiler technology. What happens is you take your vertex shader, and you compile it twice, once as a compute shader, once as a vertex shader. The compute shader does a triangle sieve -- it just does the position computations from the original vertex shader and sees if the triangle is backfaced, or the like. And it's generating, on the fly, a reduced set of triangles for the vertex shader to use. This compute shader and the vertex shader are very, very tightly linked inside of the hardware."

It's also not a hard solution to implement, Cerny suggested. "From a graphics programmer perspective, using this technique means setting some compiler flags and using a different mode of the graphics API. So this is the kind of thing where you can try it in an afternoon and see if it happens to bump up your performance."

So mixture of hardware assist and compute to ease bottlenecks. Wonder what other hardware bits might be used alone or in conjunction with the CUs ??

Well with US and EU in November. Asia in December and Japan in February it looks like Sony has some solid production numbers. Asia before Japan is slightly odd though.

Well with US and EU in November. Asia in December and Japan in February it looks like Sony has some solid production numbers. Asia before Japan is slightly odd though.

They can get by with Eng in Asia and I guess they're more tolerant of Western games. Japan needs to have software releases catered to them.

But yeah, production numbers must be great. They must not be too worried about not having enough supply for NA.. the most heated battleground.

Sony plans to sell 5m PS4s in 2013 fiscal year. @yosp demoed knack played with DS3 on the PS4 via Vita TV. There will be a PlayStation App for smartphones which allows to see trophies, follow activities of your friends etc
cMfk8mh.jpg

Sony plans to sell 5m PS4s in 2013 fiscal year.

Link:

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/19/ps4-tgs-2013-keynote-now-live-the-world-created-by-playstation-4/

For comparison PS3 shipped 3.5m through March 2007. But then again they did not launch in EU until March 23 2007. Shipping has a lot of lead time though, so they definitely had shipped for the EU entire launch.

So a hefty increase on PS3 numbers, but not mind boggling, and we should note they say "plan", which could mean they do not reach (or they could exceed, but seems like downside more likely in a console launch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back