News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The timing is not right yet for Internet to replace disc games.
Of course not now, but next-gen, quite possibly. It'll happen at some point, that's for sure, and not in 50 years or so such that a disc-based DRM system is necessary to stave off decades of lost revenues.

In people's mind, nextgen is only 5-6 months away. Too soon. A few years later, wait for Google's fiber service to make people envy.

The volume is not big enough to justify for lower price point. Most of us have to wait a long time for the download to complete. People also don't trust the limitations in digital games (They remember recent network issues).

I pre-ordered TLoU disc game long ago and forgot about it. Bought the digital version, waiting to download it on launch day. When GameStop called this morning, it's second nature for me to drop by GameStop to pick up the game. I can play it right away now. The digital version is still up on PSN. >_<

Actually, I can and should resell the disc game tomorrow. ^_^

It was a mistake.

Its getting there though. I have a 120mbit connection so could join the revolution. My issue with dd is it costs too much. Grid 2 currently costs £49.99 with my plus discount but if I walk to my local Asda (5 minutes away) I can buy it for £32 there is no incentive to download it.

My beef almost exactly. Plus, 24GB, if you max it out, is still almost 40min for something like TLoU, which is handily beaten by getting the retail copy.

And technically you are getting less for more. I know we don't really have manuals any more but there's no reason a physical product should cost less than a digital one. I know it's not a free method of delivery with server costs and everything but neither is getting a lorry to a shop.

Ps. I never get top speed from Sony or ms anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
@patsu
I read you can play the Lat of US after the download has hit 50%.

Yes, I remember that. But by that time, the disc game was already in my hands. After I got the GameStop call, I picked up the game during lunch time without thinking.

Quick question.
Can we plan downloads on PS4?
Can PS4 start downloading games we have pre-ordered automatically as soon as they become available on the PS Store?

They said at the reveal games would download smarter so stuff needed to get you to level 1 is downloaded first and the rest is downloaded as you play.

A frog dropped in boiling water will jump out. A frog dropped in cold water that is brought to boil will sit there and get boiled alive. As relative creatures, our objections tend to be derived from degree of difference rather than the difference itself.

This is just a myth and not true.

I don't think the problem with DRM on consoles and DD on consoles is that people can't get past on old way of thinking.
People are already used to DD on different platforms with different media.
The problem has been the messaging and implementation.
If you are going to change a contract even an unwritten one, and that change comes with some downsides people want to see the equal to or greater than upsides.
That can be demonstrated on other platforms and thats why people have embraced them happily.

They said at the reveal games would download smarter so stuff needed to get you to level 1 is downloaded first and the rest is downloaded as you play.

I know that but I would like my pre-order to be downloaded automatically day one rather then have to start the download manually myself.
This way I would wake up in the morning literally having the entire game, or at least the first levels, already on the HDD which is even better than "waiting" for Amazon/courier to delver my copy and a magnitude better than having to go to the store to pick a retail copy.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not as complicated as perceptions of new media or paradigm of DD.

It comes down to price. The pricing of DD is out of whack with the costs.

Meanwhile physical media, as long as it can be re-sold, has an effective lower price. You buy for $60 and after you're done, you can sell it for $40 say, so you can buy more games with the recovered money, reducing your price for the next purchase.

Just on principle, nobody should pay $60 for the DD version, when the physical version cost them so much more to manufacture and distribute.

If you drop a frog in boiling water I'm sure it will either die immediately of shock, or soon after jumping out from having its skin boiled (and possibly falling off); amphibians, or at least frogs, partially breathe through their skin so it might well suffocate, dry out or else succumb to infections. ...Not that this has anything to do with the topic, of course. *ahem!*

I don't think the problem with DRM on consoles and DD on consoles is that people can't get past on old way of thinking.
If you are going to change a contract even an unwritten one, and that change comes with some downsides people want to see the equal to or greater than upsides.
That can be demonstrated on other platforms and thats why people have embraced them happily.

If Sony were to pull this on me, my first question was actually "Well, what's in it for me ?"

Very good post.

If Sony were to pull this on me, my first question was actually "Well, what's in it for me ?"

Well of course thats our jobs as consumers in the equation.
My job isn't to be someones project planner or business manager. It's not to feel sorry someone who can't make a buck or to be a charity.
They have their role and we have ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back