News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cloud saves are (as i understand it, i never used cloud saves on my 360) really backups vs saves on the 360?

When i activate "cloud" saves on my PS3 it creates a copy in the cloud every night. I prefer that one over a save. And it's limited to one machine. Reason why i prefer the backup is simple, i got PS+ primarily to protect my kids from screwing up saves in lego games :)

Ohh and the accidental "look dad i bought all these cars" in GT5 (true stories)

The best would be cloud backup and save.

I just don't understand why they would keep automatica downloads and installs behind a paywall, that is pure Sony for you. One of the often heard complaints i here from friends with the PS3 is that it's like a Windows machine, if you don't use it for a while it will destroy you with updates when you turn it on..

Probably for security and $$$ reasons. PS3 doesn't allow anything to install in the background. As a user, when you put your download into the background, it won't auto install also. The PS+ installer may run as a special user from deep inside the OS.

Hiding auto-download behind PS+ allow Sony to charge for convenience and also pay for the download server resources.

Read the article...

“I think we saw a lightning rod for feeling that has been bubbling up - that doesn’t just apply to games, but to entertainment overall,” says House. “I think there’s an increasing nervousness about what ownership of content means, in the absence of physical goods. When that nervousness was starting to migrate into control over physical goods that consumers have purchased, that was a bridge too far.”

It is true for physical games. ^_^

The author wants you to read the article to find out what "it" means.

As for selling stuff you bought digitally, there is indeed an easy way to do so. You sell the entire account and give the buyer the password. This is proven in the FIFA incident last year.

That isn't ideal. I'm just staying that the head line is false. If you buy it , you own it comes with a list of exceptions on both systems

For physical discs ? It would be like PS3. You can break it, borrow it, lend it, throw it, rent it and resell after you bought it.

Don't know about Xb1.

Gaikai, Lower Prices Key to Sony's Game Plan
http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/2013/6/12/gaikai_lower_prices_key_to_sonys.htm

Under Sony, Gaikai has increased staffing to more than 100 people from about 60, Gaikai CEO David Perry told the Register at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, or E3, in Los Angeles this week. And it's planning to add 20 per month, he said. More than 25 open positions, including datacenter management positions, were listed on the company's website.

[Blah]

PS4 will support region free gaming for physical discs.

When they bring Gaikai online, it will probably enforce region control for digital games right ? It means we will probably have to create dummy accounts for different regions if we want to play digital titles from another region (like Vita).

... but seriously, Sony should comment a little about their PSN account setup.

e.g., Can we upgrade a subaccount to full account ? My son is 8. After 4 years, I might give him a full account. How does that work in PS4 ?

At the far end of the spectrum, can we have user subtitle for an imported game ? :p
Now that's OS memory I don't mind spending. :runaway:

Will we have anything to promote user mods (a la LBP creator levels) ?

House was talking about physical goods when he made that statement. So if you're that upset about it, go take it up with Yahoo. :rolleyes:

maybe I should take up the torch of ps4drmfree and start complaining ?

I'm just pointing out how much a hyprocite the DRM movement followers are. You can in this generation sony is going to do all it can to get to the point ms is on day one. the will try and figure out the best way to do it slowly on the fans

You can in this generation sony is going to do all it can to get to the point ms is on day one. the will try and figure out the best way to do it slowly on the fans
I cannot understand this logic, can someone translate for me please.

I cannot understand this logic, can someone translate for me please.
A frog dropped in boiling water will jump out. A frog dropped in cold water that is brought to boil will sit there and get boiled alive. As relative creatures, our objections tend to be derived from degree of difference rather than the difference itself. A slightly subtler DRM situation will cuase grumbling but no mass-exodus or riots.

So Sony can have DRM on download titles that cannot be resold. People get used to buying games that can't be sold on. Then they (or the publishers) can add license fees in terms of activation codes to gain 2nd hand market revenue, and people will grumble but not resist. And then they can introduce a standardised format which makes it easier for everyone, so, still grumbling about lack of second hand sales, people are also pleased, because they've been messing around with different Origin and Ubiverse accounts for registering games and they've been spending $10 activation fees for a couple of years and a unified system is more convenient. And then we end up with all games having DRM, but people having grown accustomed to it.

TBH I don't believe Sony will do this, but not for altruistic reasons. I think they looked at the industry and saw it's going DD only. They can release a DD only SKU in a few years with DRM on downloads that everyone will be comfortable with, and go full DD only (or streamed games) next gen. Without disks, there's no need to invent and implement some convoluted licensing system. UI think the reasoning is, "let's sit this one out. It's more trouble than its worth. We'll ride the pro-PR bandwagon this gen which'll get us better growth and brand strength, and then switch to DRMed downloads at a time the market is ready for it and will accept it without resistance."

The problem MS has is they can't compete with people's perceptions of what ownership is. People attach a sense of ownership to physical things but not to electronic things even when they are exactly the same product they are buying. Trying to retrofit a 21st century concept to an eons old entrenched idea has backfired (and was probably always going to). Waiting to change the economic model to fit a change in product model is the safer way to go.

Its getting there though. I have a 120mbit connection so could join the revolution. My issue with dd is it costs too much. Grid 2 currently costs £49.99 with my plus discount but if I walk to my local Asda (5 minutes away) I can buy it for £32 there is no incentive to download it.

The volume is not big enough to justify for lower price point. Most of us have to wait a long time for the download to complete. People also don't trust the limitations in digital games (They remember recent network issues).

I pre-ordered TLoU disc game long ago and forgot about it. Bought the digital version, waiting to download it on launch day. When GameStop called this morning, it's second nature for me to drop by GameStop to pick up the game. I can play it right away now. The digital version is still up on PSN. >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back