News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
@shifty geezer

I concede my defeat. It looks like they have chosen to go with digital face buttons, so you win our friendly bet :)

I guess GT6 is going to move the default accelerator to the right stick? A few PS2 games will not be compatible without adjustments, very interesting the change is nonetheless. A port of MGS HD would have to use the Vita control style I would bet.

I'd expect they would move accelerate and brake to the improved triggers (R2 & L2 respectively). Assuming the new triggers are up to the task, this should be a huge improvement. It's one of the things that the XBOX controllers have had right since the original "Duke" controller.

I guess GT6 is going to move the default accelerator to the right stick? A few PS2 games will not be compatible without adjustments, very interesting the change is nonetheless. A port of MGS HD would have to use the Vita control style I would bet.
I thought GT already had the option of accelerator on the R stick? But the trigger is a more choice option.

That makes sense to move them there too. A lot of games this generation I think had that as default. I think GTA 4 is one big example of using triggers by default. Kind of sucks in that way. I will miss the multi functions of pressure sensitive face buttons in GTA. I really like how I could easily control the throttle on the X button in GTA SA and leave the right stick and triggers available for camera control. Oh well :)

On the GT side Polyphony has been consistent in allowing players to customise controls so that should be OK. And no need to do drive bys in that game lol.

Not to mention amazingly expensive... Also, useability with eyeglasses debatable methinks.

To be fair, you gotta start somewhere. Augmented reality seems a decent enough first attempt.

The draw-your-own-tank demo was magical. Too bad it went no where.

Eye of Judgment AI was superb, but the card recognition slows down the game too much. The long animation was too repetitive.

Kung Fu Live was supremely responsive. There are ugly issues but we had a lot of fun with it here.

Most of the other AR games I have seen are tech demo fluff and not-so-fun. 8^(

Most of the other AR games I have seen are tech demo fluff and not-so-fun. 8^(
AR is probably more fun for the kiddies than for (jaded :p) adults. The young ones are more easily entertained by simple ideas and concepts, I've got a mate who have two kids ages ~7-9 who have been fascinated by Pain ever since the game was released. When they were too young to play it themselves/handle a controller properly they watched Daddy play it, and laughed - a lot... :LOL:

AMD can hardly be blamed for that though, Nvidia came out with some pretty salty comments when they should just have kept quiet.
Anyone wanting to get involved in a "who started it" debate for any PR is gonna be boofed from this forum., in double quick time if they want to talk nVidia vs. AMD PR in a thread about Orbis.

Remember, kids, you can always not press the post button after writing something that you see doesn't match the thread.

Epic's boss defines the PS4 as the best world's PC, and thinks it can surpass most PCs in the future. He is pretty impressed with the PS4 and he believes the PS4 is going to deliver better games experiences taking into account the entire development process is easier and the machine is so capable.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/03/ps4-like-the-worlds-best-pc-says-epic-boss/

Epic Games vice president Mark Rein seems fairly enamoured with the PlayStation 4, going as far as describing it as a “really perfect gaming PC”.

Rein made this master race-enraging comment in a GDC interview with CVG.

“I think it’s a very smart move on Sony’s behalf to build this sort of enhanced PC architecture and then put so much in it,” he said. “Let’s not forget it has 16 times the memory we had in PlayStation 3 – that’s not insignificant. Knowing that every machine has that, we can do crazy, ridiculous stuff with that.

The other exciting thing is that when you think about Windows, even Windows for most people is tied to about 2GB of addressable memory space. This really opens up beyond what most PCs can do, because most PCs are running a 32-bit version of Windows. It’s like giving you the world’s best PC.”

Rein said many of the features Sony has announced for the console, like background downloads, are “super convenient”.

“The kind of stuff that they announced that they’re doing, the level of convenience and things like that – they’re making a really perfect gaming PC,” he said.

“I’ve always said that the things in the next-generation that aren’t just brute force hardware are all about the service and simplicity of the experience – the things that make it as fun and easy to get a PS4 game as it is to get a game on your iPad.”

Epic's boss defines the PS4 as the best world's PC, and thinks it can surpass most PCs in the future. He is pretty impressed with the PS4 and he believes the PS4 is going to deliver better games experiences taking into account the entire development process is easier and the machine is so capable.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/03/ps4-like-the-worlds-best-pc-says-epic-boss/

Translation, having lots of memory is fantastic!

It's also why ever since Vista launched, I keep hoping that Microsoft would stop offering a 32 bit consumer version of Windows. I understand for the business sector it's still necessary to some degree, but in the consumer space it would be great if they just forced a transition to 64 bit the same as Apple has done.

But I guess they still felt that there was still a significant number of people with 32 bit CPUs that might want to upgrade their OS but not their hardware. And netbooks with Atom being hugely popular for a bit likely also put a dent into aspirations for going 64 bit only for Windows.

Maybe the next version of Windows will finally ditch 32 bit and we can finally have developers start to not worry about 32 bit users.

Regards,
SB

Translation, having lots of memory is fantastic!

semi-ot/ yeah, i still find it amusing that the one, rather expensive, area pre-gen everybody thought we were gonna get screwed on, RAM (2GB was the talk if you remember, more deemed too expensive) is the one area we got a bounty in on both consoles, even compared to other areas like GPU where we only got mid-range. It's also one of the most expensive components. I always bring up long ago MS mentioning RAM and the HDD as the two areas of the original XBOX that ended up being the least cost reducible over the long term /semi-ot

Rein doesn't believe in Steam Survey much, which suggests 70% of PC's are 64bit.

But how many developers have taken advantage of that in games? Pretty much none, IIRC. He has a valid point, it will be the first time games were made for a large pool of RAM from the beginning.

It is a good point. Steam might not be a representative sample of all users in all countries. Only some types of users will use Steam, not that it should be so terrible since it should somewhat represent the games market.

Definitely a good point about console games starting with a 8 GB cap, rather than 2 or 4. This is probably the best generation to benefit PC gamers honestly...

Now where is that StarCraft 2 version for PS4... I would buy that.

On a different note, the recent Digital Foundry article featuring a PC / PS4 comparative, has been edited and there is good news for us console gamers.

It is what I expected though. PS4 is more than powerful enough to run Global Illumination and everything you throw at it.

I expect the only differences between console games and PC games in the future are going to be -perhaps- some extra resolution for the PC versions and maybe AA or a framerate advantage.

Other than that, I can't see anything consoles can't run now.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-unreal-engine-4-ps4-vs-pc

Brian Karis, senior graphics programmer at Epic Games adds some more insight in the comments below, explaining some of the more obvious differences - particularly in terms of the very different lighting schemes. At the technical level, the two demos are closer than it seems:

"The biggest changes actually came from the merging of two separate cinematics, the original Elemental and the extended Elemental we showed at PS4's launch event. Each had different sun directions and required some compromises to join them. This resulted in some major lighting differences that aren't platform related but were due to it being a joined cinematic. Another effect, in the original you could see the mountains through the door where in the merged one we made the view through the door white since the mountains outside were no longer the same. Same deal with the mountain fly by. The old mountain range doesn't exist in the new one. These changes from the merge make direct comparisons somewhat inaccurate.

"Feature wise most everything is the same, AA resolution, meshes, textures (PS4 has tons of memory), DOF (I assure you both use the same Bokeh DOF, not sure why that one shot has different focal range), motion blur.

"Biggest differences are SVOGI has been replaced with a more efficient GI solution, a slight scale down in the number of particles for some FX, and tessellation is broken on ps4 in the current build which the lava used for displacement. We will fix the tessellation in the future."

On a different note, the recent Digital Foundry article featuring a PC / PS4 comparative, has been edited and there is good news for us console gamers.

It is what I expected though. PS4 is more than powerful enough to run Global Illumination and everything you throw at it.

I expect the only differences between console games and PC games in the future are going to be -perhaps- some extra resolution for the PC versions and maybe AA or a framerate advantage.

Other than that, I can't see anything consoles can't run now.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-unreal-engine-4-ps4-vs-pc

That's great that they actually commented on it, glad to hear the PS4 version will be much closer to the PC version than what was shown at the playstation meeting.

The PS4 discussion seems to be dying. Maybe a good sign? Nothing to complain about? :)
I think it's just because there hasn't been anything new for a while, and there's no drama anymore.
We know so much about the specs that rumormongers like me don't have any margin left to invent something.

Yep. Orbis is a known quantity. The only left now is software and services, which can't really be discussed until revealed. Unless people wanna start making up rumours. I heard you can only create a PS4 user account if you provide a valid credit card, and other users of the console have to pay to play games individually, so you can't buy a game and let your bro' play it without him paying. :yep2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back