Console Game Of The Year 2012

Have you done any gaming anymore?

Patsu what's up?

Mostly iOS games and a few PS3 ones. But I hardly game these days.

Lost my Vita. My "new" 3D monitor in office died. So I can only play PS3 games at home, which is rare. I have so many things to catch up with the kid at home and outdoor.

Currently, waiting on Last of Us, Puppeteer, and the 2 mythical titles (Last Guardian and FFXIII Versus).

I'm also waiting for a solid 30+" 3D monitor. If Sony releases a game specific HMZ-T3, I'll bite.

EDIT: Wait a minute... now if some Sony or Occulus Rift people want to send me a pair of 3D/VR glasses, I'll gladly take it too. :p

It's not the first time I hear people praising RE6's mechanics, yet I fail to understand how is it deeper than any other third person shooter. I really dind't play this one yet, but from all I remember of RE5, it wasn't much more then backing away, shoot, circle strafe, shoot some more, and the variations of that. Did I just missplay the game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOlq5cpFSEw

Combat is on a whole other level when compared to RE5 & the Uncharted games IMO...a lot more moves available (dodge, quick shot, parries), a better implemented and deeper melee system that feels a lot less clunky than the above two games as well.

Rocksmith, by a mile. Most impressive "game" I've played in a while. I didn't buy it in 2012, but it's a 2012 game, so I'll give it the nod. There are lots of fun games I played this year, but this one was totally unique.

With so few great games this year it's easy to narrow down which one I liked best. For me it's Journey. I'm often disappointed with small downloadable games, they always seem to have some concessions you apparently have to take for granted, but Journey is just excellent.

Other games I liked this year were: Dragon's Dogma, Borderlands 2 and Spec Ops: The Line. And if you haven't played Spec Ops: The Line then go do it now. :devilish:

I am playing Spec Ops: The Line right now and I am a 3/4 of a way through. Its probably closest thing to a HBO drama that I've played on a console. It created one of the most immersive moment I have ever experienced in a game where the look of the character's face is exactly how I felt at the time. Going through this game has highlighted how shallow and artificial 99% of all war shooters are when it comes to dealing with the realities of operating inside a war zone and all the tragedies and atrocities that come with it.

If the last 1/4 plays out the first 3/4, it will easily go down as one of the best games I've played this generation because of its story.

That actually sounds useful. Do they have something like that for piano ?
[size=-2]I guess not hip enuf[/size]

I was actually considering learning piano, but I felt like it would just be way more expensive. Even electric pianos are expensive, and I'd most definitely have to take formal lessons. If there was a "Rocksmith" for pianos, I would get it.

Piano's much harder. Guitar is a folk instrument, popular for its portability and easiness to start creating music (learn basic chords and change strumming patterns and you wail along). There have been plenty of piano tutors in the past where you press the lit-up key, but there's only so far you can go there. Any game would need to span several octaves with regards buttons to press, unlike the grouped fingers of a guitar. Added that pianos aren't cool, I don't see any future for them in mainstream gaming. Nor violins or flutes. Games will relate to pop culture on the whole, which is guitars, drums, bass and vocals - the minstrels tools of the 21st century.

Rocksmith can detect voice as well, so violins or flutes should be comparatively easy. ;) Don't forget this is a five man team though, and their first game. They could expand it easily enough if they'd want to, but of course the challenge would be to stay lucrative. ;)

As for piano, I have a midi-interface for Rockband 3 that works with any MIDI keyboard, and allows you to do the lessons and keyboard parts in the (many) rockband songs ...

Sure, and there's been many music games as tutors for years on PC. I just don't think they'll push very hard into the mainstream gaming space. There's a significant difference between keys in a pop song and piano playing. ;)

Note, I'm responding to Scott's idea of learning piano from a game like this.

I know, but Rockband 3 has a pretty good tutorial section, with various exercises. It's not perfect obviously (won't teach you two-handed playing), but it's sitll pretty good.

I am playing Spec Ops: The Line right now and I am a 3/4 of a way through. Its probably closest thing to a HBO drama that I've played on a console. It created one of the most immersive moment I have ever experienced in a game where the look of the character's face is exactly how I felt at the time. Going through this game has highlighted how shallow and artificial 99% of all war shooters are when it comes to dealing with the realities of operating inside a war zone and all the tragedies and atrocities that come with it.
If the last 1/4 plays out the first 3/4, it will easily go down as one of the best games I've played this generation because of its story.

I' ve heard a lot of good things about this game and i'm thinking about getting it ... is it actioned packed ?

Back