Console Game Of The Year 2012

Gerry

Regular
Now that the dust has settled on the year 2012 and we're all still alive, what would be your GOTY for 2012? Can't be arsed with a poll; that would involve me having to do far too much research and I'm too lazy for that.

Dishonored seems to have taken the title on a lot of sites but despite finishing it and enjoying it I can't help but think it's overrated as a whole. I mean, it's good, and I'm glad we're it's the start of a new IP, but I don't think it's great.

So my vote, since it's the game I enjoyed most last year, goes to XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Pff, that's very hard to say for me at this point. Not many games really stood out for me above the rest. In terms of enjoyment, I really loved MotorStorm RC though and Journey. In terms of time spent I have to give a lot of credit to Trials of Montezuma (Vita) and WordFeud, Ruzzle and SongPop on iOS (mostly WordFeud though).

Zen Pinball 2 (both on Vita and PS3, plays best on Vita, but in 3D on PS3 is just amazing) and Uncharted Golden Abyss scored pretty high as well, and this year I still played a lot of Rayman, also on Vita. LittleBigPlanet Vita also a highlight, but the Cross Controller stuff in LBP2 with PS3/Vita is also very good stuff, and Burnout Most Wanted (also Vita) is really great too. The last weeks I've enjoyed Mortal Kombat 9 on Vita a lot.

I'd have to think really long and hard to determine which one was my favorite though!

Oh, and not to forget: Rocksmith! (PS3 and PC) This is definitely in my top 3.

To be out there I quite liked rainbow moon on PS3 but I don't think any retail game has really Lit the fire in 2012. It's been the year of sequels for me, good games and better than the previous ones but nothing to get excited about.

Couldn't even tell you the game I was playing before I did a couple of seasons in f1 2012

Of the titles that came out in 2012, I suppose either Mark of the Ninja or Dust: An Elysian Tail.

Of the titles that came out in 2012, I suppose either Mark of the Ninja or Dust: An Elysian Tail.

I've got Mark of the Ninja waiting to be played. Didn't really take to Dust (only played the demo though).

Trials: Evolution would be a close 2nd place for me. Put a lot of hours into that even though I'm still far shitter than certain other people.

Dark Souls.

edit: Sorry wrong year, I can't recall anything I liked in 2012, however did miss out on a few I plan to buy, Witcher2, Dogma and Halo 4.

With so few great games this year it's easy to narrow down which one I liked best. For me it's Journey. I'm often disappointed with small downloadable games, they always seem to have some concessions you apparently have to take for granted, but Journey is just excellent.

Other games I liked this year were: Dragon's Dogma, Borderlands 2 and Spec Ops: The Line. And if you haven't played Spec Ops: The Line then go do it now. :devilish:

If we're talking strictly console releases, for me it's probably Witcher 2.

I haven't played Dishonored yet and I just started Walking Dead, so those may be other candidates for me after I finish them.

Dust, Journey, and Mark of the Ninja are also good candidates. Though I haven't finished or even played them all. =/

So many games, so little time...

Great choices there Al! ^_^

My top 10 for 2012 is:

1. Fez
2. I Am Alive
3. Hotline Miami
4. Mark of the Ninja
5. Sleeping Dogs
6. Dust: An Elysian Tail
7. Resident Evil 6
8. Trials Evolution
9. Binary Domain
10. Spec Ops: The Line

Still haven't played XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Forza Horizon, Dishonored, Catherine & Dragon's Dogma and some games that didn't make it into my top 10 but really enjoyed are The Witcher 2 (360), Warp, Lollipop Chainsaw, The Walking Dead, Halo 4 & Alan Wake: American Nightmare.

Overall it was a really awesome year IMO and I played and completed more games than 2011, especially the indie scene this year gave us some incredible games.

1. Dragon's Dogma. I'm still playing that game actually.
2. The Darkness II. Criminally overlooked fps gem. It's perfectly paced, varied, has a wonderful, heartfelt story, great writing, snappy controls, lovely visuals, fantastic line delivery and it manages to make quad wielding intuitive.
3. Journey

Didn't play much due to work all year but from what I have played. Borderlands 2

Trails Evo and Halo 4 tied for 2nd.

Back