Console Game Of The Year 2012

Journey : for being what it is ! Phenominal ! The only game that evoked a SOTC like response from me. And great great GREAT Co-op !

Far Cry 3: for being so 'game-y' and so addicting that u can't stop thinking about the game at work. Perfect 'just one more go' game world.

Borderlands2: great co-op fun !

Battlefield 3 MP: for never getting old ever !

Christmas Magic +(iPad): cos I made it :p !!!

The lowest time I've spent gaming in memory.

Still in box: AC3, Mass Effect 3, Batman

Half ass played: Halo 4, Borderlands 2, Skyrim

Want to play but likely won't have time: Far Cry, Dishonored, Fez and a bunch of XBLA games

Resident Evil 6 was my GOTY, game gets way too much shit for being a very different kind of game from other shooters, it's different in almost every way. The shooting is different, the way camera works is different, the cover system works different. The funny part is that it does work but since it's nothing like other games out there it takes a lot of time to get a hold of things and Capcom pulled off a stupid move by not doing any tutorials at all for the rather fantastic combat engine (I put it on a level equal to Vanquish, as they are fundamentally very similar as in both focus on offense and the defense is nothing but charging up so that you can go on the offense again). All the settings need a bit of tweaking to make it feel right (camera speed, aim speed, reticule and laser sight...very customizable)

The QTEs are no more abundant and different from old RE games. For example a lot of people describe the stick wiggling when a zombie grabs you as QTE, which is incorrect. Also it's something that has existed since RE4 and not a lot of people know that you can use both analogue sticks to fill up the "wiggle meter" quickly that it won't even matter anymore.

(I hated the RE6 demo too but loved the game)

My 2nd favorite game from last year would be Borderlands 2 followed by Black Ops 2 and Spec Ops: The Line.

Motorstorm RC is the best game of the year. Perfect mechanics that makes every lap fun and a really good online mode that keeps you challenged all the time. Classic game!

Also, Yakuza Dead Souls was awesome! Majima is the king!

Resident Evil 6 was my GOTY, game gets way too much shit for being a very different kind of game from other shooters, it's different in almost every way. The shooting is different, the way camera works is different, the cover system works different. The funny part is that it does work but since it's nothing like other games out there it takes a lot of time to get a hold of things and Capcom pulled off a stupid move by not doing any tutorials at all for the rather fantastic combat engine (I put it on a level equal to Vanquish, as they are fundamentally very similar as in both focus on offense and the defense is nothing but charging up so that you can go on the offense again). All the settings need a bit of tweaking to make it feel right (camera speed, aim speed, reticule and laser sight...very customizable)

The QTEs are no more abundant and different from old RE games. For example a lot of people describe the stick wiggling when a zombie grabs you as QTE, which is incorrect. Also it's something that has existed since RE4 and not a lot of people know that you can use both analogue sticks to fill up the "wiggle meter" quickly that it won't even matter anymore.

(I hated the RE6 demo too but loved the game)

My 2nd favorite game from last year would be Borderlands 2 followed by Black Ops 2 and Spec Ops: The Line.

We have another one who loves this game besides myself here? didn't expect that. ^_^

As you mentioned the game needs some tweaks in the options, the QTE's can get annoying at times and has some mediocre or even unnecessary moments but overall the game is really really fun with some great chapters that are better than anything from RE5 IMO (Leon's chapter 2 for example is amazing).

It's a nearly 30hrs game with lots of variation, a lot of different enemy types, decent story and great cut-scenes that I still don't skip them on my 4th playthrough and the combat system is excellent and easily the best out there (along with Vanquish) which shines in the fuckin' amazing Mercs mode...when I play this game I seriously can't understand all the "UNPLAYABLE SHIT" "Worst game ever!" BS that I've read on the net, the game gets so much hate that I can't help but laugh at this point...it's getting completely ridiculous.

Now about I Am Alive the more and more I think about this game the more I appreciate it. The atmosphere was so depressing and reeked of despair, it had some cool ideas like how the combat was designed, how they added stamina in the platforming that made it so much tense and stressful while adding a strategic layer that felt like a breath of fresh air in the age of worthless automated platforming and the game was quite challenging as you had to manage your resources carefully even in the Normal difficulty setting.

It's a unique and brutal game that is not friendly to the player, a game that it wouldn't be possible to be like this if it was a "AAA" budget game so I'd say that anyone who's intrigued in the idea of a different take on the survival horror genre should try this game, even if you end up disliking the game you should at least appreciate that it's design is a big fuck off at today's common "dumbed down" design choices that we see in the industry.

Shockingly, the only 2012 game i've finished was Halo 4.
I don't think it deserves GOTY so i'll give it instead to Far Cry 3, which I hope to get soon-ish (I have to complete ME3 first)

None. May be... Rayman, the Blob or Journey in terms of what surprised me the most.

In terms of hundreds of hours spent, either Dark Souls or Persona (on Vita), but they are not really 2012 original titles. And then I lost my Vita. :rage: [size=-2]Good thing all my games are digital.[/size]

I got off gaming for the most part. :)
Too busy with work, kid and family. Took me 30 over guesses to remember my B3D password. :LOL:

If there's anything gaming related for the past 3 months or so, it's watching my kid write mini games using Scratch.

Will probably get back when that puppet game, Last of Us, Last Guardian or FF XIII Versus is released. For now, I get by with "Battle of the Bulge" on iOS, and PureChess on PS3 occasionally.

EDIT: Hello Yemeth ! Thanks for your PM. ^_^

I haven't tried LBP for Vita yet.

Will probably get back when that puppet game, Last of Us, Last Guardian or FF XIII Versus is released. For now, I get by with "Battle of the Bulge" on iOS, and PureChess on PS3 occasionally.

Haha...::LOL:

I wish I was wrong...

We have another one who loves this game besides myself here? didn't expect that. ^_^

As you mentioned the game needs some tweaks in the options, the QTE's can get annoying at times and has some mediocre or even unnecessary moments but overall the game is really really fun with some great chapters that are better than anything from RE5 IMO (Leon's chapter 2 for example is amazing).

It's a nearly 30hrs game with lots of variation, a lot of different enemy types, decent story and great cut-scenes that I still don't skip them on my 4th playthrough and the combat system is excellent and easily the best out there (along with Vanquish) which shines in the fuckin' amazing Mercs mode...when I play this game I seriously can't understand all the "UNPLAYABLE SHIT" "Worst game ever!" BS that I've read on the net, the game gets so much hate that I can't help but laugh at this point...it's getting completely ridiculous.

I almost like it as well. It has some great moments indeed, but the sheer amount of ill-designed crap it threw at me over the course of its gargantuan campaign left me with very mixed feelings in the end. To my surprise I actually liked Chris's campaign the most. It had the best pace, was least reliant on the dreaded QTEs (a mechanic I actually enjoy. In moderation that is), the least annoying enemies (god, how I hated the ever respawning jumping zombies in the graveyard), some honest and even successful attempts at developing its characters and far and away the best boss battles.
Leon's campaign I probably liked the least. Although drop dead gorgeous in spots, it was just littered with QTEs, piss-poor boss battles for the most part (only Deborah was okay), a camera which never failed to take over in the most inopportune moments (thanks for showing me a random dude closing a door while a zombie is about to eat my face) and plenty of cheap one hit kills. It also had a story that didn't go anywhere for the first 5 hours or so and Leon remained the robotic cipher he always was.
Jake and Sherry's was a mixed bag. Started off strong, but the second chapter with its awful stealth segments and snow mobile chase sequence was just a complete mess. I did like both Jake and Sherry as characters, though. Who would have thought the son of Wesker of all people would end up as the most human and relateable character of the entire franchise (props to Billy Coen, though). To be fair, Capcom did a decent Job with Helena as well. That probably means we'll never see her again, just like Sheva.
Ada's I didn't much care for. Just lots of repeats of earlier sections of the game, full of bad on-rails shooting sequences and a never before mentioned, random science chick who was then revealed to have actually been the culprit behind the whole mess. I also think Ada is one hell of a bland character, even by RE standards.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not the first time I hear people praising RE6's mechanics, yet I fail to understand how is it deeper than any other third person shooter. I really dind't play this one yet, but from all I remember of RE5, it wasn't much more then backing away, shoot, circle strafe, shoot some more, and the variations of that. Did I just missplay the game?

Mechanically it isn't deeper at all. It's just unnecessary clunky. You cannot do anymore in RE6 than you can in Uncharted except shooting while lying down and wasting ammo by dual wielding - two largely pointless additions I might add. Unlike Drake you cannot shoot from the hip, though. In general you just have to press more buttons to do basic stuff like dodge rolling or taking cover. There is a lot more enemy variety than in your average shooter, though. Variety is the game's biggest strength in general. Capcom didn't just stretch 10 hours worth of set pieces over a 30 hour game. This really does have the meat of 3 full games to it.

Mass Effect it has to be.

They did good on their promise and the stuff coming back from the previous games worked really well. It probably had to do with how years have actually passed in real time, making it so much more lifelike and effective.

Never understood the flame war about the ending... Half the game was an ending, damnit! Tali and Garrus and Liara and Joker and the rest, it was as close to meeting real people you have a history with as it could get in any kind of entertainment. No movie or book could have done this because of the lack of interactivity and so Bioware has truly managed to write video game history.

It's not the first time I hear people praising RE6's mechanics, yet I fail to understand how is it deeper than any other third person shooter. I really dind't play this one yet, but from all I remember of RE5, it wasn't much more then backing away, shoot, circle strafe, shoot some more, and the variations of that. Did I just missplay the game?

It's on the same level as Vanquish as far as depth goes. Quick shooting which you can mix with context based hand to hand combos (which is very different from how it plays out in Uncharted), the constant stress on offence, high amount of character maneuverability (Vanquish is really the only other game that comes close, Uncharted not so much because it stresses on cover based gameplay, while RE6 doesn't), the way the game gives you shortcuts to manage your inventories (like mixing herbs without ever going into the menu) which in turn compliments the offence based gameplay and the enemy variety (think it has to be the highest out of any game this gen) which prompts you to use different strategies .

Back