NVIDIA Tegra Architecture

We could discuss the merits of the benchmark for long but someone seems to care enough to have lowered the onscreen T-Rex score by roughly 26%. I could think that someone is wildly experimenting with it but since the MiPad is selling shouldn't its settings be final for long now?

If I check detailed results I can only see "communityuser". Is that one and the same person or are these random results from anonymous users? In the past we had official results and results from users. I'm unclear how results are gained and handled these days. We had a gentleman from Kishonti posting here a while ago. Could he or someone else in the know shed some light on that Gfxbench in general? Results can't just fluctuate wildly up and down for no reason unless these are truly random results from a variety of approved users.

Again with the Denver being Canceled!!!

Charlie over at S|A is again babbling that Denver is canceled.

What is Nvidia replacing Denver with in Erista?
http://semiaccurate.com/2014/07/08/nvidia-replacing-denver-erista

Since there is a Hot Chips 2014 conference session on 8/11/14 titled "NVIDIA’s Denver Processor" being presented by Darrell Boggs, Gary Brown, Bill Rozas, Nathan Tuck and K S Venkatraman it seems like old Charlie is really losing it.

http://www.hotchips.org

I've stopped following the latter saga to be honest since I have the gut feeling that project Denver is being confused with project Boulder, but that's probably just me.

In my opinion a frame rate lock below something like 24 fps, or make that 30 fps, seems somewhat useless. I understand some of the benefits, sure, but still....

In terms of displaying the test animation smoothly, slow FPS are worthless. But this is supposed to be testing battery life, not frame rate. Locking at various FPS rates would at least show which subsystem could do a defined workload per second for how long (assuming you can eliminate screen brightness etc). Having multiple FPS rates might give some indication how linear the performance/power ratio is within 1 subsystem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of screen brightness, is there a possibility that the only difference between the best and worst MiPad result is from a difference in screen brightness? The slowest and worst battery life is from setting the screen at maximum brightness, resulting in more heat and thus more severe throttling, while the best results are at lowest brightness? Just a thought. I've never actually seen any tests that try to find the correlation between screen brightness, heat/thermal throttling and battery life.

Speaking of screen brightness, is there a possibility that the only difference between the best and worst MiPad result is from a difference in screen brightness?

Based on the three data points for battery lifetime and long-term performance, the long-term performance (ie. lowest fps recorded during the 40 loop cycle) has progressively gone up while at the same time the battery lifetime estimate has gone up or stayed the same. So hard to say exactly what was being tested. Note that if one looks at Manhattan or T-Rex Offscreen scores that were not continuously looped, there is a fairly wide spread in fps, indicating that the TK1 SoC inside was tested at various GPU clock operating frequencies and/or with various software drivers during the pre-release phase.

Nvidia Shield Tablet leak.
18115400223l.jpg
So no Shield 2 handheld? That was the only shield I was interested in.

You can use it as a desktop with a stylus. That'd be a throwback to an infamous French 8-bit micro which came with a "light gun" kind of stylus as a pointing device :)

Or really : this computer feels good as a desktop replacement, though double the RAM would be very much welcome. Denver will be handy on a later model.
The 16GB are enough to install a full desktop OS and you can run either KDE, Unity, Mate, Cinnamon, XFCE and others as your desktop environment. (but swapping on SD card is far from ideal)

Have to plug in HDMI cable and USB powered hub.. Biggest limitation is that puny single USB 2.0 port.

Or eventually it could go all wireless. You have that tablet/secondary screen with you but also the big screen (computer monitor or TV) driven wirelessly by the tablet computer, and wireless keyb/mouse and the gamepad controller.

Probably No Shield 2 Handheld

Nvidia Shield Tablet leak.

So no Shield 2 handheld? That was the only shield I was interested in.

That is still unknown but now doubtful. There have been many rumors about a Shield 2 handheld:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/05/is-this-the-nvidia-shield-2-handheld-android-console

http://pocketnow.com/2014/07/02/nvidia-shield-tablet

Those rumors might have been guessing wrong in that the controller they thought was the Shield 2 Handheld might just have been the Shield Controller for the Shield Tablet.

I now believe that there will not be a Shield 2 Handheld and that the Shield Tablet will replace both the Shield Handheld and the Tegra Note Tablet.

In that the original Shield Handheld could only have a single user viewing the screen when playing games the new Shield Tablet will allow you to prop up the Shield Tablet for all players to see and then each player can use there own Shield Controller.

This is also a good move financially for Nvidia because they will only have to support one device for both gaming and as a tablet.

I am really pleased that Shield tablet comes with a stylus! I also noticed that it has a frame with integrated magnesium thermal shield, which is a nice touch.

NVIDIA-SHIELD-Tablet-1.jpg

I like a lot this shield 2 tablet :love:
OTA direct from Nvidia means timely updates (SHIELD is a reference for that)
low latency controller is neat
FHD resolution is perfect for 8", consumption and long term performance

Will buy one as soon as available for sure !

Or really : this computer feels good as a desktop replacement, though double the RAM would be very much welcome. Denver will be handy on a later model.
Its enuf, my current phone scores ~2x what my 2013 model laptop scores in geekbench! (& my laptops good enuf) my phone only has 5" and its only a 16:9 screen this is 8" 16:10.
Doesnt mention GPS though, thats important for me.

My only gripe with this phablet is its prolly too powerful I'ld prefer less power & longer battery life. Also due to the fact the first shield bombed how is support gonna be for this? Is the first one getting updates etc now? I'll be getting something in a couple of months this is definitely on my radar

Zed,

the SHIELD 2 tablet has GPS with GLONAS, look more carefully at the leaked specs.
Regarding updates, I don't understand. SHIELD received regular updates (nearly every month or 2), adding each time new features and bringing bug fixes. For example, it was the first device out of Nexus to get Kitkat. In fact, IMHO, SHIELD has the best support of all Android and direct from Nvidia (see here as a starter: https://developer.nvidia.com/develop4shield )
I expect not less for the tablet

thanks xpea, I didnt see it there, good to know that shield 1 got regular updates. That has mae it very interesting, its definitely on my shortlist

Back