Nintendo Conference 2010

Is GAF down now ?

Release date is Feb 26 2011. 25,000 Yen in Japan.

Highlighted features:
* 3D screen
* 3D camera (3D photo taking)
* Extensible stylus
* Tag Mode (aka Crosspass mode)
* Multitasking
+ Supports background communication (e.g., game data, flight info, Nintendo announcements, new ranking, etc.)
+ Press Home button to use other functionality mid-game
* 2Gb SD card
* NTT will provide 3DS internet connection. Usable from DS Station, Nintendo Zones, including MacDonalds
* 2 colors: Aqua Blue and Cosmo Black

Software
* Mii Studio (input using 3D camera, export to QR code, ...)
* Augmented Reality games
* 3D Virtual Console games
* Fuji TV to distribute free 3D videos daily on an experimental basis
* Announced 3DS specific titles from Konami, Level-5, Capcom, Mistwalker, Square Enix, and of course Nintendo (Zelda)

I remember they pre-announced 3D movies. Perhaps that's for other markets ?

I am not really surprised at the cost. And I don't think it is unreasonable for what you are getting. And knowing Nintendo they were always going to price it to make a good profit on every unit sold.

And yes, I think the news broke NeoGAF. Which is too bad because I wanted to go tell people "I told you so!" on the price :devilish:

Given the price, 3DS is selling in parallel with other DS SKUs right ? The former should be compatible with all DS software as well. How much is DS in Japan ?

$300/$250 (stateside approx) : really?

iPod Touch's gonna raze whatever casual audience this one is aiming for.

On the other hand, DSL/DSi sales will probably still be great at current pricing.

On the other hand, DSL/DSi sales will probably still be great at current pricing.

No the iPod touch isn't going to do that. When will people finally understand that those iPod games generally arn't worth more than 5 bucks and you play them for like 10 minutes and that's it. Even the casual Nintendo games are aimed to offer a lot more than that.

Price seems a bit high. The DS launched for 150 euro's I believe and as Dollars always turn into euro's it will probably cost 250 euro's here. Does anybody know anything about the 3DS being region bound? I'll be in Japan from February for my internship so I might pick one up there.

Tchock, it's a core gamer's device, with social gaming elements. The 3D screen helps to differentiate it from all other portable gadgets. I was looking out for a 3D control mechanism based on an earlier rumor but it's not there.

I wonder if Nintendo will have something for Android in parallel.

No the iPod touch isn't going to do that. When will people finally understand that those iPod games generally arn't worth more than 5 bucks and you play them for like 10 minutes and that's it. Even the casual Nintendo games are aimed to offer a lot more than that.

Not quite. There are high quality titles there. It'd be dangerous for Nintendo to think otherwise.

Have they released an ad for 3DS already ? I only saw the E3 3DS video.

EDIT: Saw videos on Kotaku.

The 3DS is a dedicated entertainment device. Only someone who plays often enough will get one. In that sense, it's for core gamers. The non-games make the device more useful, but 3DS's focus will be on entertainment (or edutainment in Nintendo's style). The pitch seems to be "a new experience everyday".

By starting with the core gamers first, perhaps the 3rd party developers will have an easier time building the user base with Nintendo.

The launch software library is very core. Moreso than Wii. Nintendo seem to be integrating with Wii be sharing Mii's and stuff, but I have to say, the interface for 3DS is a dog! Not just by the standards of modern swish, glossy, animated GUIs, but even in simple design terms - it's like they pulled ideas from their back catalogue of 8 bit JRPGs! I also wonder if they'll address their diabolical online component? We grumble about Sony, but at least they have a decent online component. I guess Nintendo's doesn't ever get talked about because it really isn't worth mentioning!

The launch software library is very core. Moreso than Wii. Nintendo seem to be integrating with Wii be sharing Mii's and stuff, but I have to say, the interface for 3DS is a dog! Not just by the standards of modern swish, glossy, animated GUIs, but even in simple design terms - it's like they pulled ideas from their back catalogue of 8 bit JRPGs! I also wonder if they'll address their diabolical online component? We grumble about Sony, but at least they have a decent online component. I guess Nintendo's doesn't ever get talked about because it really isn't worth mentioning!

NTT will provide 3DS internet connection. Usable from DS Station, Nintendo Zones, including MacDonalds

Sounds like some kind of proprietary network connection, will this mean you have to buy some kind of DS router to connect? Or maybe the Wii2 is/will be a base hub? I see alot of fail here.

It boggles my mind how people can still say this with unshrinking authority. Gaming revenue generated on idevices is still at utterly inconsequential levels in the grand scheme of things. Absolutte unit sales may be reaching impressive levels now but when most titles sell for less than a dollar it really doesn't count for much in the grand scheme of things.

Apple also need to develop a portable that can last for more than 3 hours in 3D games before they can be taken seriously in this market.

Yes but proprietary hotspots? And what about at home?
And I'm thinking more about srevices than infrastructure. Who cares if you need a hotspot if you can't remember the 78 digit random code you need to join your friend in Harvest Moon, because you keep confusing it with the other, totally different 78 digit random code needed to play the same person in Mario Galaxy 3DS? nintendo have courted same-room coop, which is great as that's too foten overlooked, but they need to get themselves a proper online experience going forward. Or just give up on core gamers online completely, leaving Sony and MS to serve their online interests.

Back