Analytic ball shadows in Hustle Kings

MarkVF

Newcomer
For anyone who is interested, just released the next instalment of my series of blog posts on the rendering tech in Hustle Kings, this time on how we achieve the soft ball shadows.

Beware this one has quite a bit of math :smile:.

The link is here.

Mark

Thanks again!

Just tried it with Move controls and I like it a lot. I hope this great looking game will find a(n even) larger audience thanks to Move and 3D support, it definitely deserves it!

I also wanted each ball to cast shadows correctly onto other balls – although we ended up disabling this feature in Hustle Kings, the algorithm I’m about to describe does support this, but we were limited by z-cull requirements of the PlayStation hardware to get maximum performance.
Then a PC port please! :) With shadows on balls! :D

Seriously, I'd buy a good looking and realistic snooker/bilard simulator for PC.

For anyone who is interested, just released the next instalment of my series of blog posts on the rendering tech in Hustle Kings, this time on how we achieve the soft ball shadows.

Thanks, I've been waiting for this one. Thanks also for taking the time to image the maths functions.

This reminds me of my old Raytraced shadows demo I did back in the days. The same basic idea but different (less advanced) implementation. For a game like this analytics shadows are certainly an attractive option.

Thanks again!

Just tried it with Move controls and I like it a lot. I hope this great looking game will find a(n even) larger audience thanks to Move and 3D support, it definitely deserves it!

what is needed is something like this
41fQL4k48YL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

i.e. move attacked to a snooker cue (dont know if it would be too heavy)
ppl could pull up a table/chair or something to balance the hand on in front of the tv.
A way for ppl to practice there snooker skills at home if they dont have a table

edit - weight shouldnt be too bad, move weighs 145g, a cue stick weighs 510->600g
so wilst it will be a bit front heavy its not gonna be like a mace of somthing

Back