Sony 'RayModeler' 360-degree 3D Display at SIGGRAPH 2010

This looks very similar to Actuality Systems' 3D volumetric display system.

Terrible demonstration. Awful way to show off your 360 degree display by fixing the camera to one spot and then rotating the image on the device itself...

That said, I wonder how the tech behind it works. I assume - since it's cylindrical - that it's some kind of rotating, strobing display.

These things always seems pretty pointless to me for home entertainment purposes. Films would have to become stage plays and games would have to be like isometric or top down games in design. No more grandeur or scope.

With respect people this would be aimed at CEO's, Marketeers, Analysts, Shopping malls etc etc etc at this point. Not gaming console fanboys etc. Pretty standard prototype stuff which Sony along with other Electronics giants release regularly. Not a "Terrible demonstration. Awful way to show off your 360 degree display by fixing the camera to one spot and then rotating the image on the device itself". I

Last edited by a moderator:
Much perfer a wider aspect ratio esp for computers. Its much easier on my desk to have a 180 degree monitor set up for me to use then in the living room.

Not a "Terrible demonstration. Awful way to show off your 360 degree display by fixing the camera to one spot and then rotating the image on the device itself". I
Fixing the camera so that you DON'T show off the 360 degree aspect of your 360 degree wraparound display is a pretty terrible way to demonstrate a 360 degree display.

My impression stands as-is. :p

Fixing the camera so that you DON'T show off the 360 degree aspect of your 360 degree wraparound display is a pretty terrible way to demonstrate a 360 degree display.

Pretty much. Wasted 5 mins looking at the demo.

:???: Firstly, the 2D footage doesn't show off the 3D depth of the projected hologram. What the users see is a Star Wars style 3D object made of light, which cannot be conveyed no matter you present it (well, I suppose they could have recorded a cross-eye cam vid!). But secondly, within the first two minutes there are several examples of the viewer moving around the display, and the display rotating! What more can they do??

Interesting, this could be good for science!

Visualising 3D vortices in flows...this could be interesting if it is a good tech behind.

I once tried stereoscopic 3D stuff in this cave-like facilities...besides being extremely costly, it is kind of too much.

If there is a small cheap display, which can be used in every day situations - well, this could be interesting to visualize computer simulation data!

You didn't happen to notice that before they did that, they moved the camera and kept the display fixed (at ~1:00 mark)? I saw this live as well, but my biggest problem was that in order to get anything out of it, you needed a terrible amount of data/preprocessing to be done. Comparatively, I was actually more moved by Sharp's 5-primary (RGBYC) display, partly because it looked a lot closer to fruition, while this struck me more as a minor proof of concept.

Back