Sony Disable “Install Other OS” in firmware (v3.21)

I just LOVE how someone erased my post saying PSP has tons of great games.
I can say PSP has better games than mario kart, deleted. But the guy who says mario kart is better than most PSP games, nothing.

In my mind, the PSP is unsuccessful because it has poor battery life

Disagreed. It lasts longer than any of my laptops or UMPCs
Of course it's going to last less than DS when it's many times more powerful.
My ipod touch doesnt even last as long as my PSP.
Hell my DS lite doesnt either. I get 2.5 hours before it red lights on me.

, it's too inconvenient in terms of size as a handheld,

It's smaller than DS was. Then look at DSi XL, it's selling fine and it's huge!

People don't want a "Portable PS2" on the move

Yes we do

People want bite-sized, tailored gaming.

PSPs best games weren't that bite sized stuff.

The exact same piracy exists for the DS,

If custom firmware killed the PSP, why didn't it kill the DS?

DS requires additional hardware to pirate games. PSP doesnt

Your "anger" here is misguided. Sony need to design a game device for the market... not give the market what is easy to push out under its current business model, and then blame that same market for its own failures.

Sony didn't have to make PSP for the same market DS was made for, then it'd have been a DS clone. PSP was meant for a new portable market, those who do want a portable PS2. And it is by no definition a failure

I just LOVE how someone erased my post saying PSP has tons of great games.
I can say PSP has better games than mario kart, deleted. But the guy who says mario kart is better than most PSP games, nothing.

Uh, yeah. This was your quote:

"PSP has tons of games vastly superior to Mario Kart. Your standards are messed up if you consider that a killer game."

I think Mario Kart, objectively, can be called a 'killer app' for the DS. So that comment made prior stands. Whereas PSP has tons of games vastly superior to Mario Kart. is obviously subjective, followed by a statement that is superfluous at best and baiting at worst.

People, this thread is not the 'Merits & Demerits of the PSP' thread. If you want to talk PSP, Dragona, or Nintendo, prepare for post deletion.

Updating my slim now, my launch unit fat is still happily running through a few thousand training epochs for the neural networks I have on it and will never see the PSN again. Which is no great loss since it only ever runs yellowdog anyway.

Though for what its worth, IMO, geohot has been a complete asshole and basically ruined a good thing. People shouldn't get angry at Sony for protecting their investment they should just feel sorry for george. He obviously has deep insecurity issues and has to prove himself to the world, sadly this one was a big fail. So write to george and tell him to put up or shut up and if he doesn't deliver sue him for breaking a promise he made to the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am more interested in your neural networks than all the hooplahs around 3.21. What do the networks do ?

Somewhere inside me, I am dreaming that this episode will give birth to a real PS3 Linux which is totally separate from GameOS, but sold at a (much) higher price for people who are willing to pay for all the support (porting, upgrades, etc.).

Though for what its worth, IMO, geohot has been a complete asshole and basically ruined a good thing.

I don't hate geohot (even though it may seem otherwise, I mostly dislike internet underdog worship), but I found it funny that in his latest posts he insists that lack of BC is just a 'software switch'.

A bit disappointing that I can't get back my 10GB without reformat. Hope the 80GB+ free space right now is enough for me. :rolleyes:

I actually tried the LG5Tool that set up a proxy on PC to bypass PSN version check. It does allow me to sign in, see friends list and load the PSN store, but an error always pops up when I try to download anything. General internet browsing is also very slow and things don't show up the right way. That program is also very unstable on my PC.

Not sure why people are blaming Geohot, if it had not been him, it would have been someone else. Personally I am surprised nobody actually has cracked it yet, kudos to Sony/IBM for that feat.
As I said I actually do not blame the hacker in regards to this, I think Sony handled it poorly and probably had time to "fix" the issue in someway without removing OtherOS before a piracy solution would have been released (if it ever would have been). But of course that would have been a more costly direction and there are rumors that Sony wanted to drop OtherOS due to maintaince issues it endures ie time and money.

As for PSP, can you actually pirate with the latest FW?

Uh, yeah. This was your quote:

"PSP has tons of games vastly superior to Mario Kart. Your standards are messed up if you consider that a killer game."

I think Mario Kart, objectively, can be called a 'killer app' for the DS. So that comment made prior stands. Whereas PSP has tons of games vastly superior to Mario Kart. is obviously subjective, followed by a statement that is superfluous at best and baiting at worst.

People, this thread is not the 'Merits & Demerits of the PSP' thread. If you want to talk PSP, Dragona, or Nintendo, prepare for post deletion.

I think anything in reference to 'lists' and "better" is subjective no matter how you put it. Either side of that fence, IMO, is full of poopie.

Not sure why people are blaming Geohot, if it had not been him, it would have been someone else. Personally I am surprised nobody actually has cracked it yet, kudos to Sony/IBM for that feat.
As I said I actually do not blame the hacker in regards to this, I think Sony handled it poorly and probably had time to "fix" the issue in someway without removing OtherOS before a piracy solution would have been released (if it ever would have been). But of course that would have been a more costly direction and there are rumors that Sony wanted to drop OtherOS due to maintaince issues it endures ie time and money.

As for PSP, can you actually pirate with the latest FW?

Eh, I do and always will blame the hacker. They know what they are doing, and they know how people will use that knowledge. You can't create a something intended to kill millions of people and then feel no consequence and / or pretend like that's not what it will be used for. Same applies here (obviously not as severe). You know what your tools are capable of, so don't act like you hold no responsibility when people use it for the wrong things. It's irresponsible and childish (well, like most hackers are, actually).

As for the PSP, you can still hack the 1000 and 2000, but not the 3000 or the PSPgo.

I think anything in reference to 'lists' and "better" is subjective no matter how you put it.

"Better" yes, but acknowledging when a certain title or another has reached critical mass appeal is independent of opinion, and requires only a recognition of fact. The argument was not whether Mario Kart was 'better' than PSP software, it was pointing out that said title was a broad-based hit culturally - it was 'killer.' Hell, Sprint is running an ad for their 4G that features four grown men playing Mario Kart on DS's around a campfire. People - acknowledge reality; it's not a critique on platform quality, it's an observation on what games people are playing.

"Better" yes, but acknowledging when a certain title or another has reached critical mass appeal is independent of opinion, and requires only a recognition of fact. The argument was not whether Mario Kart was 'better' than PSP software, it was pointing out that said title was a broad-based hit culturally - it was 'killer.' Hell, Sprint is running an ad for their 4G that features four grown men playing Mario Kart on DS's around a campfire. People - acknowledge reality; it's not a critique on platform quality, it's an observation on what games people are playing.

Its just who your argueing with.

PSP may have many great titles. Sadly those titles aren't finding buyers out side thier niche.

If it wasn't for piracy the psp would be dead because no one would buy it

I think it has more to do with what people can identify with currently. Mario Kart on the GBA didn't do nearly as well, despite being a nearly identical to it's SNES counter part.

To me, as a gamer, I really couldn't care less what a game is selling or how many people are playing it. Quality software is quality software, and as a gamer, your reason for "not liking a system" should have nothing to do with a "killer app" and how much it's sold. It should have everything to do with the quality of the software available.

Either way, I still think he (the person who brought up the quality of software) may have misspoke when he said "killer app". Maybe he meant things that appeal to him, since I see no reason for a gamer to be concerned with killer apps or sales.

Eh, I do and always will blame the hacker. They know what they are doing, and they know how people will use that knowledge. You can't create a something intended to kill millions of people and then feel no consequence and / or pretend like that's not what it will be used for. Same applies here (obviously not as severe). You know what your tools are capable of, so don't act like you hold no responsibility when people use it for the wrong things. It's irresponsible and childish (well, like most hackers are, actually).

As for the PSP, you can still hack the 1000 and 2000, but not the 3000 or the PSPgo.

But who actually removed OtherOS? Sony claims they need to do it for security concerns, but its not for my security. Its like not some random cracker dude on the internet will slide across my cable connection, pop open my PS3 and install a bit of hardware and poke opcodes into the memory and steal stuff from my PS3.

But are you saying because something I make can be used to do bad stuff with I should not do it all? Because then we are banning a lot of stuff that is useful.
In addition, this move to remove OtherOS, will just make some other random hackers determined to get Linux up and running on PS3 again, because now it becomes a challenge. Before Linux was there and there really was no real challenge to "mod" the PS3. Except for Piracy, but most hackers are not interested in that part.

As for the PSP I was under the impression that with the latest FW you where not able to run pirated games and you need the latest FW to run the latest games. So going forward from here you can not pirate the new games. Of course if you don't want to play the latest games, you can still pirate the old stuff.

But who actually removed OtherOS? Sony claims they need to do it for security concerns, but its not for my security. Its like not some random cracker dude on the internet will slide across my cable connection, pop open my PS3 and install a bit of hardware and poke opcodes into the memory and steal stuff from my PS3.

When you play multiplayer Killzone 2, or CoD2 on PSN, you might encounter people with flying soldiers, or soldiers running twice as fast as your soldier, and soldiers with unlimited rockets to their RPG, and 4 times quicker health-regeneration, than you.

Simply because those other people installed a custom trainer-program wich changes the memory-values on their game, like is available on PSP with CFW.

If the program hides wich PS3 their using, and Sony banned those cheaters from PSN, they can just start a new free PSN-account.

And then the only option Sony would have, aswell as a perfect excuse, is to start charging for each online-account, then they would see the numbers of cheaters drop. :-/
Because people wouldn't risk cheating if they knew they had to pay if discovered.

When you play multiplayer Killzone 2, or CoD2 on PSN, you might encounter people with flying soldiers, or soldiers running twice as fast as your soldier, and soldiers with unlimited rockets to their RPG, and 4 times quicker health-regeneration, than you.

Simply because those other people installed a custom trainer-program wich changes the memory-values on their game, like is available on PSP with CFW.

If the program hides wich PS3 their using, and Sony banned those cheaters from PSN, they can just start a new free PSN-account.

And then the only option Sony would have, aswell as a perfect excuse, is to start charging for each online-account, then they would see the numbers of cheaters drop. :-/
Because people wouldn't risk cheating if they knew they had to pay if discovered.
Cant they just ban the console? At least temporary? Like a month?

Which will cost them more money to monitor. Right now Sony can invest less money in this kind of thing because people HAVENT cracked their console. When these hackers start doing what they want, and it starts getting exploited, Sony will have to invest money into monitoring tools.

It is cheaper for them to simply get rid of OtherOS all together to prevent it in the first place.

That hasn't deterred the folks that cheat on Live. I have low hopes of it working on PSN.

They may end up banning the wrong people if the malicious users are clever enough. :)

In the near term, I am more concerned with the potential cheating and stability issues, than piracy risk.

Back