AMD: R9xx Speculation

Looks like default is the lower TDP setting, or the newer drivers used here are a lot better.

I can confirm the German results are fake.
Well, my 6970 from Sapphire arrived.
They've specifically gave a download exclusively to the latest drivers which truly unlock the performance, and it's beating a stock 580 in Heaven, albeit the max FPS is a little lower.
6970.png

More from Gibbo at OCUK:

Hi there

Some OC's from my testing:-

HIS 6950 stable at 930Mhz Core and 5950MHz Memory.

HIS 6970 stable at 980MHz Core and 6200MHz Memory.

I think there is more to go with voltage tweaking etc.
Has AMD pulled off a double bluff, and 6970 is going to easily match or better GTX580 with a significantly smaller and cheaper chip? With Antilles waiting to do more damage next month?

Has AMD pulled off a double bluff, and 5970 is going to easily match or better GTX580 with a significantly smaller and cheaper chip? With Antilles waiting to do more damage next month?

(Assume you meant 6970)
While I seriously doubt the 6970 will beat the 580, it would be wonderful for all of us (fans of either or none) if it did...lower prices!!

Measuring up primitively with the only known factor, the PCI-Express x16 slot (89mm), I get the die to be 20,8 x 18,7 mm, which coincides with the rumored 389mm2.

Another reference could be the memory chips, I guess you could use either.

All we need now is a naked die shot of Gf100b/GF110 :smile:

Anyone know what the card length is? It looks pretty tight for most midi cases.

I think its the same as the 5870 which is 10.5". I've asked this question before and still haven't got a proper answer. Why is it that Nvidia with more complex PCB's, more memory chips, much bigger die package and greater power requirements(meaning more VRM circuitry) still manages to produce cards which match or are actually shorter than AMD's.(in the GTX 2xx series there was also an additional NVIO chip). AMD could help enthusiasts out by designing their boards better. The amount of unused space on the PCB is staggering

I haven't seen anything yet which said it's 2x full cayman. I guess though with the new dynamic clocking scheme AMD got a lot more room to play with clocks instead of disabling simds for power reasons, so it might make sense.

Whats surprising? HD 5970 also used 5870's at 5850 clocks. Dave explained the reason as well. There is leakage from the disabled parts as well so it makes more sense to enable the full chip but clock it lower.

No shit? That would be quite a coup after all the flak they got over tessellation.

I dont think you ranting about it constitues flak.. :rolleyes:

Whats surprising? HD 5970 also used 5870's at 5850 clocks. Dave explained the reason as well. There is leakage from the disabled parts as well so it makes more sense to enable the full chip but clock it lower.
I didn't say it's surprising (nor that I think it will be less simds), simply that noone has "confirmed" it will be all simds. It is quite true that generally enabling all units but clock it lower is better perf/power wise, however it need not necessarily be the case for all chips - and in fact I've got doubts about this for HD5970 since it scales quite badly with simd count (and much better with clock). It _could_ be beneficial to have a slightly higher clock but less simds (don't forget that this also boosts rop etc. performance, so for non-simd bound scenarios it would be faster).

I didn't say it's surprising (nor that I think it will be less simds), simply that noone has "confirmed" it will be all simds. It is quite true that generally enabling all units but clock it lower is better perf/power wise, however it need not necessarily be the case for all chips - and in fact I've got doubts about this for HD5970 since it scales quite badly with simd count (and much better with clock). It _could_ be beneficial to have a slightly higher clock but less simds (don't forget that this also boosts rop etc. performance, so for non-simd bound scenarios it would be faster).
If you can't powergate the disabled SIMDs (which is extremely unlikely), it won't help too much. Clockgating doesn't do anything against leakage. If you have a sufficiently fine grained clock gating, it's virtually always better to have more SIMDs enabled as they won't cost more power if they don't do anything but they can potentially help the performance. It basically only make sense to do it if you want to decrease the difference between average and max power draw. But that can be done much better with the power containment feature of Cayman.

I think its the same as the 5870 which is 10.5". I've asked this question before and still haven't got a proper answer. Why is it that Nvidia with more complex PCB's, more memory chips, much bigger die package and greater power requirements(meaning more VRM circuitry) still manages to produce cards which match or are actually shorter than AMD's.(in the GTX 2xx series there was also an additional NVIO chip). AMD could help enthusiasts out by designing their boards better. The amount of unused space on the PCB is staggering
What is on the surface barely tells any story. None of NVIDIA's solutions are approaching memory speeds even close to our prior gen.

You mean like how AMD marketing "f*cked up" DP support -- another feature that a vanishingly small fraction of people care about?
Actually, "all" what's still missing are some decent math libraries. The hardware can do everything what is necessary in this respect. And the marketing has nothing to do with that ;)

I dont think you ranting about it constitues flak.. :rolleyes:

Wow, certainly wasn't expecting a fanboy response to such an innocuous (and factual) statement. AMD hyped tessellation for years yet were embarrassed by Fermi in that respect. Now they have improved their geometry performance significantly enough to be taken seriously again. Those are the facts. Deal with it :)

What is on the surface barely tells any story. None of NVIDIA's solutions are approaching memory speeds even close to our prior gen.

Yeah that is a bit of a mystery and I'd love to know the details behind it. AMD's involvement in the development of the specification can't explain it all but neither can sheer engineering competency.

6870's are down to $239 again at Newegg after weeks of being > 250. So im predicting a price of 299/399 for Cayman Pro/XT respectively

I agree with you there Dave, and with the new gen the gap is even bigger. But how much space do memory traces take on a PCB? If you take all the other components i listed, theres a lot more besides just memory speeds. I think my 4850 is quite a nice size(its a Sapphire own design which is 1" shorther than reference) A 9.5" card would be the outer limit of card size i can fit comfortably in my case without obstructing my cabling and airflow around the hard drives(And i have an ok case, a CM 690)

Wow, certainly wasn't expecting a fanboy response to such an innocuous (and factual) statement. AMD hyped tessellation for years yet were embarrassed by Fermi in that respect. Now they have improved their geometry performance significantly enough to be taken seriously again. Those are the facts. Deal with it :)

Save it, its been debunked enough in the Tesselation thread.

Back