Have you guys watched the Halo OSDT marketing video?

gongo

Regular
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKkLykw33cI

Holy cows! This is how you sell to the hardcore internet crowd...this is how you raise awareness from within the community....this is what i was talking about MS powerful marketing arm. A short live montage to what will be their next major push, the Xbox team have perfected the new age of marketing...for videogamers.

Any marketing majors care to break down how are they able to get it right again and again? What makes a good videogame commercial now that the whole abstract floating images seem to be the past.

It's a pretty cool commercial, but it's pretty hard to gauge what sort of effect this'll have on sales since Halo is one of those few series that doesn't even need this sort of push. It's not like the 'community' wasn't sold already (and I don't know who the 'hardcore internet crowd' is). Will this be more effective than the 'My Xbox' channel popping up 'Halo ODST out Sept 22, click here to know more' every time someone turns on their console?

That said, the Halo 3 commercials convinced me to buy that game on launch (not a Halo fan). But I didn't like it and so I'm almost certainly skipping ODST, so this has no effect on me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKkLykw33cI

Holy cows! This is how you sell to the hardcore internet crowd...this is how you raise awareness from within the community....this is what i was talking about MS powerful marketing arm. A short live montage to what will be their next major push, the Xbox team have perfected the new age of marketing...for videogamers.

Any marketing majors care to break down how are they able to get it right again and again? What makes a good videogame commercial now that the whole abstract floating images seem to be the past.

Very impressive piece and very very American.

Very impressive piece and very very American.

I don't know about American, the ODST troops being trained sound like they are being lambasted in Romanian, or some eastern european language all to a back drop of a folk song that being sung in Welsh or some gaelic. The film itself is very Starship troopers which is very hollywwod and American. Its a rather odd mix, but seesm to work.

The style is American, is what -tkf- was saying. According to YouTube comments this ODST troop speaks Hungarian.

It's certainly a lavish production for a game advert, although it was just the wrong side of tacky for me. Kinda like British sci-fi TV series versus Hollywood sci-fi, the Brits just can't pull it off with flair. Except not as bad. This advert had a very subtle sense of amateurishness in my eyes, despite the expense in the visual effects. Also I couldn't help but laugh at the ridiculous situation being presented. "All these soldiers arrive and get killed. Their guns can't even hurt the enemy! Now you take the role and fight as an underpowered, ineffectual lump of cannon-fodder in Halo ODST - only on XB360!"

However, I'm sure the Halo fans will love it, and shooter fans, and it'll be a great success. This just goes to show how different folk have different tastes. :mrgreen:

The style is American, is what -tkf- was saying. According to YouTube comments this ODST troop speaks Hungarian.

Their guns can't even hurt the enemy! Now you take the role and fight as an underpowered, ineffectual lump of cannon-fodder in Halo ODST - only on XB360!"

Yes the style the tone the Gung-Ho, Full Metal Jacket Bootcamp. The underpowered not having a chance is more or less like it always have been?

Almost looks like they used some stuff from the cancelled/postponed Halo movie project?

Yes the style the tone the Gung-Ho, Full Metal Jacket Bootcamp. The underpowered not having a chance is more or less like it always have been?
Normally the underpowered have a tiny chance, but they manage to outwit their opponents or use a unique skill or opportunity. In this case it looked like the soldier would have been killed save for a freak accident - that is, he's utterly powerless, not just underpowered. So taking that situation forwards, what exactly is this tropper going to do to win the war? He'll fight an enemy he can't even hurt until he inevitably gets killed himself. If they hadn't shown the weapon being totally useless, let's say 10 seconds of sustained fire on one baddy to drop him while getting rushed,
it'd have implied they just needed persistence or something. But the deus ex machina solution to the problem suggests there's nothing this soldier can do to save himself and he'll be dependent on external factors to get through the war alive.

I don't know about American, the ODST troops being trained sound like they are being lambasted in Romanian, or some eastern european language all to a back drop of a folk song that being sung in Welsh or some gaelic.

They're talking in hungarian, and the short was filmed here in a studio, too.
Haven't got a clue why, though.

About the everyone gets killed + deus ex machina stuff - this is just a teaser for a 2,5 minute short that's supposed to come out soon. So the complete story may make a little more sense.

Normally the underpowered have a tiny chance, but they manage to outwit their opponents or use a unique skill or opportunity. In this case it looked like the soldier would have been killed save for a freak accident - that is, he's utterly powerless, not just underpowered. So taking that situation forwards, what exactly is this tropper going to do to win the war? He'll fight an enemy he can't even hurt until he inevitably gets killed himself. If they hadn't shown the weapon being totally useless, let's say 10 seconds of sustained fire on one baddy to drop him while getting rushed,
it'd have implied they just needed persistence or something. But the deus ex machina solution to the problem suggests there's nothing this soldier can do to save himself and he'll be dependent on external factors to get through the war alive.

The sub-text though is despite the fact that the soldier survived purely by luck in that early encounter, he then continued to fight and continued to survive for a long time after. I think it was necessary to communicate the innate vulnerability of each of these ODST soldiers compared to the Spartan super-soldiers in order to properly develop the characters in the upcoming game in people's minds. Up to this point (in the games), the ODST soldiers have only been shown as cannon fodder, comic relief and generally supporting cast. I doubt many who played the games ever thought of them as "real people". People being able to make that connection is going to be key to achieving some level of immersion and I see this game as being very COD-like in it's focus on the stories of a handful of ordinary soldiers.

About the everyone gets killed + deus ex machina stuff - this is just a teaser for a 2,5 minute short that's supposed to come out soon. So the complete story may make a little more sense.
That makes more sense. I was looking at the duration and at 1:30, it's certainly not a TV ad anyhow. It's more fan-service then a game advert I think.

Enter: "The Last Spartan" (TM) -- Our Only Hope. If anything the change in gameplay in ODST will highlight how "awesome" MC is and, that while he didn't do it alone, without MC the victory in Halo 3 all falls back to one Spartan 117. It is a new look on one of the most successful franchises of all time. The big picture is that this is an "expansion" that "fills in" the picture for a game with a rabid fanbase. This seems more for the fans which with the size of the franchise selling say only half as many copies (5M) with a small team and 1 year budget isn't a bad business idea and it seems the current owners dig it.

My problem is that it is an expansion at full price, nominal new compeitive MP additions, and I am not overly attached to the Halo 3 story. I CoD4 MW2 or FM3 were out first I wouldn't bother picking this up for a long time, maybe never if I could get the MP maps over live. I could do the game coop some weekend and be done with it. That said all my Halo 3 owning friends really want this, so pitching a product that gets even a segment of the fanbase excited and can only be understood by them makes sense due to the size of the franchise. For fans I am sure being an "elite" ODST and struggling mightily will only perpetuate the myth of the Spartan ;)

My problem is that it is an expansion at full price, nominal new compeitive MP additions, and I am not overly attached to the Halo 3 story.

Where do you draw the line between expansion and sequel?

As far as I understand, ODST has a significantly different gameplay (within the genre of shooters, of course; but probably as different from Halo 3 as Halo 3 is from COD 4), all new maps/campaign, probably tons of new props art, a somewhat different art style, and a different structure (hub/open city vs. the fairly on-rails style of Halo 3).

Do you require significant engine changes to qualify something as a sequel?

I'm asking because I find this a genuinely interesting question, maybe worthy of another thread. Somebody recently coined the word "expandalone" for this kind of games. Also, I've been directly involved in the shipping of eight titles in the past nine years or so, three of which have been in this no-man's land between expansion and sequel, I'll be starting work on another one very soon, so this topic is close to my heart.

The engine isn't an issue with me; I think re-utilizing of technical assets with a shift toward iteration and produce development aimed at better gameplay experiences is primary. Sure, technical faults should be shored up and this shouldn't preclude new features and services, but a new "renderer" or "physics do-dad" aren't what define a title for me.

As a PC gamer we would call 5-6 hours (read: I bet I can beat it in 4) of new SP gameplay and 3 MP maps ($5 value on XBLA) to be an expansion. The "old" engine isn't a factor, but the gameplay is essentially constrained by such (i.e. I have seen mods that change more of the gameplay mechanics). Being slower, not jumping as high, less armor, some slight gun and HUD mods, etc isn't much. My friend is lamenting how I am ovelooking the awesomeness of the ol' pistol!!!111 But that is my point: That is somthing that could have been free DLC, any mod can do that, and the only people who get excited about an uber pistol are Halo 1 fans. A new pistol in any other FPS doesn't excite interest in buying a new game at full price (as much as EA wished booster packs would!) ODST is really for the fans who are more than happy to get a less than full package for full price. The counter argument, of course, is there are a lot of $60 titles that suck. True, true. But then again I wouldn't buy those either, so that is a non-starter. But if I only have 3 $60 games in me the next 6 months the ODST expansion is up against other shooters of note (COD MW2, BFBC2), the best Madden in years, a full GTA expansion at expansion pricing, Forza Motorsport 3, and other surprise titles (OFP2? Sonic Racers?) and so forth. A SP expansion doesn't offer much value for me. But that is just me.

If it was shipping with a full suite of MP maps (12-18 maps), some new MP features (both gameplay, e.g. play as ODSTs, some new modes and weapons, etc; features like a custom game browser, improvements to Forge sharing, advancements in gametype modifcations) and the like I would be completely content calling it a new title. Initially FireFight sounded very interesting but the gameplay doesn't look "Halo" quality to me (seems to lack much strategy compared to Gears 2) and looking at Horde (a full fledged mode with a ton of maps) and seeing how it too eventually got a little boring and was best with 5 people it really has to be something I try before I get excited about it. After Horde I would have liked to see something more objective oriented and deeper in features/options, maybe even mini-story archs (bonus: have "Fire Fight" scenarios in the SP campaign). In general the feel I get is that there is nothing new that I wouldn't expect from an expansion and for $60 I don't see the replay value I got out of Halo 3 at $60.

But there is a reason this is called Halo 3 ODST. It is an expansion. MS/Bungie even pitched it as such until [opinion] the realized how the content holds up against a lot of the crap going for $60 these days and after a couple surveys of seeing how popular it was and some surveys of cost tolerance they shifted it to a full priced product. Seeing my friend call it a day 1 purchase without knowing WHAT was in it (it has the Halo name and is made by Bungie = instant buy for him) and seeing how with nominal exposure it shot to the very top of a lot of consumer buy lists it makes good fiscal sense. But I am not overly attached to the franchise, even if I do play it and think a lot of the criticism lamented here at B3D are pretty poor ones.

As for ODST as being as different from CoD4 is from Halo 3 or "different art style" I think that is something only Halo "fans" could see that way. As a general FPS game ODST looks like a mod from a gameplay perspective and the art (and technicals) look just like Halo 3. And they still haven't learned to a) avoid big flat objects (bilinear filtering with no AF) and b) long straight edges. The IQ issues on the bridge levels are something you think Bungie would have learned to avoid. The last level in Halo 3 was bad enough (literally looked plucked out of an Xbox game).

Design, mechanics, AI, and story are all strong in Halo but ODST doesn't do anything to really address the short comings--and at $60 is lacks a lot of the things you would expect from a full title, let alone one bearing the Halo name.

It really is a title for the fans who are willing to pay the fill price of admission. For those of us who buy 3-4 games a year it is a tough pill to swallow. Now that I think about it the #1 reason to get Halo 3 ODST really seems to be the Reach beta IMO for my preferences.

"All these soldiers arrive and get killed. Their guns can't even hurt the enemy! Now you take the role and fight as an underpowered, ineffectual lump of cannon-fodder in..."
This has bothered me ever since the original Doom.
Joshua Luna said:
That is somthing that could have been free DLC, any mod can do that.
1. Never give away for free what you can sell and make money on.
2. Technically, no, not any mod can do that. X360 is a closed platform.

1. Never give away for free what you can sell and make money on.

Of course, but the question was how people perceived an expansion over a full product. I provided an opinion with points of reference that lead to my personal position. And in my case they may not have a sale so your point is exactly my grind. I am undecided. From a pure fiscal perspective it is supply&demand so of course you sell it unless you think it has potential to damage the propertly.

2. Technically, no, not any mod can do that. X360 is a closed platform.

Technically they could offer it as free DLC are in one of the previous DLC packs. Or in the context as part of a $30 stand alone expansion. The point is, and was, is that a overpowered pistol [that is so simple PC mods do it every day] doesn't differentiate the product enough to make it worthy of stand lone pricing. Of course that isn't the only change or new content but I don't find changes like this the degree of change to say ODST is akin to Halo 3 as Halo 3 is to COD4.

Of course context of a discussion doesn't really matter :LOL:

I kept putting this game off as just an expansion pack not worth the $60 price tag. This marketing video though... it is working.... Now I'm actually considering the purchase :( Hopefully, the new firefight mode is good enough to justify the cost.
I know I shouldn't fall for this, but the commercial is done so well, and just adds that bit of authenticity to the entire franchise. Basically it makes the whole playing as ODST troopers something to look forward to.

Back