Candid interview wrt the business side of Epic (w/Mike Capps)

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Carl B, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

There was an interview conducted at D.I.C.E. recently in Wired with Mike Capps of Epic, which struck me if nothing else by its candor. And that's not to say in a good way either depending, but very upfront nonetheless. The theme of the interview was the business side of Epic's business; basically making sure that developers work within constraints, marketing their games, and other odds and ends.

The interview should be checked out here: http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/02/las-vegas----be.html#more

...but I'll post below some of the quotes I was surprised to be reading.

Surprising because it admits to the whole European 'conspiracy' we often complain/theorize about:

Surprising because it shows a strong self-awareness/unabashedness as to Epic's market clout:

Not surprising per se, but very much in the continuing vein of extremely candid:

Surprising because of a direct swipe at a competing game:

The whole interview truly is worth reading, if only to understand the mindset of one of Epic's less public top people. It's really a level of upfrontness I'm not used to reading in an interview given a very PR-conscious industry; again it's not even candid in a good way per se, but it is very informative within its scope.

Mike Capps was also the Epic representative arguing pro-engine licensure at D.I.C.E. for those who have not seen that thread yet (located here.)

2. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

This one as well, which gives a lot of insight into the power and appeal achievements can have for the developers themselves beyond making the game more appealing to consumers:

3. Rangers

Legend

I'm wondering when exactly we'll get UT3 on 360. I'm assuming it's six month timed? Is there ever a timed exclusive of less than 6 months?

If it's 6 months, by my calculations they couldn't release it any earlier then Jun 11. And I assume there's some advertising ban in that too, so assuming they want to market it for a couple months first, we wouldn't see it on 360 until July or August?

[Final remark moved to new thread]

4. Mike Acton

Mike Acton CellPerformance
    Newcomer

I thought the interview was good and Mike Capps had some nice, straightforward answers to share. He's a good speaker too - his presentation at DICE on the "Build vs. Buy" question was pretty polished (In retrospect, I wish I had used slides too!) - and he stayed both professional and friendly about the whole thing, which I appreciate. I also saw him speak at GDC at the UT3 postmortem, where I thought he was pretty candid about the issues they had (specifically with the things they weren't prepared well enough to do, and what lessons they took from that).

On this subject of this interview, I thought this was interesting:
    It's something I can completely agree with. You need that tension - you need to be able to go back and forth between tech, art, design and business/marketing in order to negotiate something that's going to be able to work. Strong leadership in each group helps provide those checks and balances by challenging each other to do better without doing something that's broken from the start. (So that you don't need to keep completely starting over a bunch of times, as Mike pointed out.)

#4 Mike Acton, Mar 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2008