3D Gaming*

I can get a 1080p 50" Pana for about $1000... so it's almost three times as expensive, not good enough. Then again the above mentioned model was almost twice as expensive about a year ago ;)

LCD/LED TVs are definitely cheaper (especially the low end ones if you're talking about 3X price difference). That's why they dominate the market. Then again, Plasma TVs survive for a reason.

Not quite cheaper actually if you're looking for a good performance out of them. It's just that there is far greater variety and you can technically find cheaper sets with bad performance. Once you look at the higher performing LCD (or LED backlit), they can be more expensive than plasma. Panasonic's TV's pack quite a value for your buck.

One thing that should be stressed: DO NOT look at retail demos and make your decision. All sets aren't properly calibrated and LCD's in particular have the backlight maxed out. I've often heard claims of proper calibration in stores and I don't buy them for one second. If any of the TV's strike you as too bright in a well lit store, then it's not calibrated. You'd need a good balance between black and white levels to have a good 3D effect, so if the backlighting is maxed out, forget about it.

Narrow down the candidates and check out AVS to make a decision. Lots of helpful and knowledgeable people there.

If you're going for plasma, going with Panasonic is a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. Sony's sets may be more expensive than Samsungs as far as LCD's go, but you do get better performance.

I've tried the Samsung demos and I remain hopeful for auto stereoscopic 3D. We'll see if the current solution flies first, otherwise we won't see that.

I think if they make smaller Panasonic 3DTV, I'd just buy one and use it as a monitor. Does that work ?

You'd risk burn-in generally but the visual real estate would be similar to having a 50"+ screen in a modest size living room.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd risk burn-in generally but the visual real estate would be similar to having a 50"+ screen in a modest size living room.

I can't find a (3D) Plasma monitor smaller than 40". Am looking for a 30" one.

I'm going to use it mostly for gaming.

Use 50" for PC gaming by all means, the immersion is amazing. It's for work that 50" is kinda tiresome.

I can't find a (3D) Plasma monitor smaller than 40". Am looking for a 30" one.

I'm going to use it mostly for gaming.

Maybe next year with 32" sets. Kind of surprised that Panasonic hasn't jumped immediately since 3D is kind a niche/enthusiast tech that will get a lot of support from PC and console gamers.

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/06/05/3dtv-enabled-super-stardust-hd-turns-up-early-on-uk-psn/

A few UK PlayStation 3 gamers have found they already have access to the 3D version of Super Stardust HD, reporting it "looks gorgeous" and (presumably thanks to the recent update) automatically adjusts the TV to the proper settings and prompts the player to slip on their shutter glasses. While the PSN store only shows a few updates, if you already have the game (and a 3DTV, of course) deleting it and redownloading should nab the new version.

patsu, you had any luck researching 3D monitors or you "definitely" going for a larger TV?

I'm getting tense and think I may follow the monitor route as a first taste of 3D.

Still on the 3D monitor path. Need to see the quality. I'd be surprised if monitor vendors don't release anything by end of the year.

Bigger is better for 3d.(IMO)
With screens too smal , the sense of scale is really missing ,since 3dstereo gives the real scale of things .
I'd definitely go for anything > 40.

The perfect scale would be about the scale where a character filmed at 1,60 metter(standard 35mm) would look real size at zero parallaxe (plan of the screen).Something around that.
But that's because i'm not the biggest fan of shrinked worlds in stereo3d.Immersiveness is better when the scale feels about right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bigger is better for 3d.(IMO)
With screens too smal , the sense of scale is really missing ,since 3dstereo gives the real scale of things .
I'd definitely go for anything > 40.

The perfect scale would be about the scale where a character filmed at 1,60 metter(standard 35mm) would look real size at zero parallaxe (plan of the screen).Something around that.
But that's because i'm not the biggest fan of shrinked worlds in stereo3d.Immersiveness is better when the scale feels about right.

I already have about 6 monitors in the same room. Don't want to fit a 50" HDTV in. T_T

Anyway, here's a 15" 3D Blu-ray laptop from Toshiba:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...eils_the_First_3D_Blu-ray_Capable_Laptop/4862

All I need is something twice as big. :)

Hi,

I tried out Wipeout HD and Super Stardust HD on Panasonic's
new 3D Viera (50+'' not sure of the size) at work today.

Both games looked really fantastic, although Super Stardust was
indeed a much smoother experience. That isn't to say Wipeout HD,
didn't still look amazing, especially the replay mode following the race.

Using 3D was also a snap. The game automatically asks if you want
to play in 3D following the title screen, and the glasses start up
relatively quickly. The glasses, however, didn't sit well on the bridge
of my large nose, and were quite uncomfortable.

Unfortunately the 3D gave me, and just about everyone else who
used it, a slight headache, which is still with me now. Perhaps
it takes some getting used to.
(I did not experience this when viewing Avatar in I-max 3D.)

One other disappointment was that the Viera halves the color spectrum
(number of supported colors) in 3D mode. It wasn't very noticeable on
dark backgrounds, but may prove to have an impact on certain bright
games and Blu-ray. Apparently the Bravia, although not full 1080P
maintains the full color spectrum even when in 3D mode. I will report
on the Bravia once it arrives.

All in all it's neat tech., and really geared towards games, but I'll have
to wait a while before investing in it personally.

Oninotsume

Thanks for reporting ! I waited for a CG demo to show up on the Pana and they showed an animated space render (meteorite and planets), which is dark as expected. Now I know why. Would never have noticed the color space difference.

I am interested to see the new Sony 3DTV too (The ones announced yesterday).

Some unofficial 3D viral video for PS3:
http://kotaku.com/5559608/modern-warfare-2-going-3d-on-the-ps3

Kotaku speculates that MW2 may support stereoscopic 3D on PS3. I thought it's a 60fps game ?
[size=-2]May be it'd be downgraded like hell ? ^_^[/size]

Seems like it would be the easiest candidate. They could just use 30fps for each eye. Although I think it dips into the 40-50 fps range, so they'd probably have to do some other stuff.

Back