iPhone Doom Classic

So if we've seen Q3A running on an iPhone on YouTube, what's the motivation for Doom?
Let's see Q3A polished and leave sprites in the past where they belong.

So if we've seen Q3A running on an iPhone on YouTube, what's the motivation for Doom?
Let's see Q3A polished and leave sprites in the past where they belong.

I think the motivation is pretty clear that there is nostalgia, and that you can't look up and down so it plays better. Full 3d looking controls will be tricky on any handhold without a stick on it, and the trend toward slim devices kind of kills that stick idea.

quoting john carmack :

The toughest question was the artwork. Since Wolf was selling well, I had planned on paying contractors to upscale all the Doom graphics to twice the original resolution. When I pulled all the graphics out and tallied it all up, it looked a lot more marginal than I had expected. There were over two thousand individual pieces of art, and it was over ten megatexels in exactly bounded area, let alone atlas fit or power of two inset. The PVRTC compressed formats would work great for the floors and ceilings, which are all nice 64x64 blocks, but it has issues for both the walls and floors.

PVRTC textures must be power of two and, notably, square. If you want a 256 x 512 texture that needs to repeat in both axis, you need to resample it to 512 x 512 to use PVRTC, which means you lose half your compression benefit and get distorted filter kernels and mip level selections. Even worse, Doom had the concept of composited walls, where a surface was generated by adding, say, a switch texture on top of a wall texture. You can't do that sort of operation with PVRTC images. The clean sheet of paper solution to both problems is to design around textures that the hardware likes and use more geometry where you need to tile or combine them, but Doom wasn't well suited to that approach.

Character sprites don't get repeated, so a lot of them can be packed into a nice square 1024 x 1024 texture to minimize waste, but the PVRTC texture formats aren't well suited to sprite graphics. The DXT1 compression format has an exact bit mask for the alpha channel, which is what you want for an application like this. PVRTC treats alpha like any other color channel, so you get coupling between the alpha and color channels that results in partially transparent pixels ringing outside the desired character boundary. It works fine for things like clouds or fireballs, but not so good for character sprites. It looks like it should be possible to get an exact binary mask with the 2 bit PVRTC mode, which could be combined with a 4 bit PVRTC color texture to get a 6 bpp perfectly outlined sprite, but the multitexture performance on the iPhone, even with PVRTC textures, is not fast enough to prevent missing 30 fps when you have a hoard of monsters in front of you.

duh!
why not just use the software renderer. I know he likes to put up with shit and wants to use the iphone GPU. but I quite like using the original renderer over blurry, filtered opengl versions with bland lighting. The software renderer can be used at any arbitrary resolution, too.

/edit : instead you could be able to switch the renderer in game options, to run the game how you want, depending on how you feel like :)

Aye. Do it in software. Doom's uber low-res textures through 3D-card filtering looks PAP anyway, far worse than the pixellated mess of the original game.

Then again, why go through the pain and suffering trying to play action games on a device that has no buttons and no tactile feedback from input - not to mention having bits of the screeen obscured by your wiggling fingers...?

The simple answer is of course $$$ - something John undoubtedly spends a lot of time thinking about.

Aye. Do it in software. Doom's uber low-res textures through 3D-card filtering looks PAP anyway, far worse than the pixellated mess of the original game.
You have got to be joking! The lack of MIP mapping in the original software doom was horrendous. You can always switch to point sampling for when the texture is enlarged if you prefer the blocky effect if you wish

I'm not joking at all. The doom monsters aren't the least bit scary or intimidating when they look like fluffy smeared clouds moving towards the player. Besides, any issues with lack of mipmapping is part of the original experience. You may as well redo the whole game then with new art, levels and sound if you don't want crawly-ant pixels...

I'm not joking at all. The doom monsters aren't the least bit scary or intimidating when they look like fluffy smeared clouds moving towards the player. Besides, any issues with lack of mipmapping is part of the original experience. You may as well redo the whole game then with new art, levels and sound if you don't want crawly-ant pixels...

Doom 64 seemed plenty scary enough (I really like that game a lot :D... yes, it did feature completely new art for sprites and backgrounds IIRC).

they are different experiences.
I would say, Q3 is not even suited for mobile gaming, and certainly not to be played at 30 fps. it needs keyboard, mouse, a powerful enough CPU and a 100 or 120Hz display.

More info, including some screenshots, on Doom Resurrection

Doom Classic is still on its way, Doom Resurrection a completely different project, John Carmack talked about it months agos :

After thinking about the platform's capabilities a bit more, I had a plan for an aggressive, iPhone specific project that we actually started putting some internal resources on, but the programmer tasked with it didn't work out and was let go. In an odd coincidence, an outside development team came to us with a proposal for a similar project on the Wii, and we decided to have them work on the iPhone project with us instead. We should be announcing this project soon, and it is cool. It is also late, but that's software development...

Back