E3 roundup/anticipation post

Rangers

Legend
Here are some things I expect/are credibly rumored/am excited about for E3. E3 kicks off with MS press conference the morning of June 1, a mere 18 days away. I am really excited for this E3 as it's shaping to be a return to form and a very big E3. My OP will be more focused on MS (and least on Wii) because thats what I'm familiar with. But others feel free to make up for that.

Two very likely big hardware announcements

-MS 3D camera/motion control
-Sony, PSP GO!, PSP with touchscreen/slide screen

MS games rumored/possible:
Alan Wake
Perfect Dark 3
MGS4 (Megaton?)
Halo ODST
APB (One supposed twitter leak speaks of this alleged game, supposedly some type of "GTA killer").
Splinter Cell Conviction
Lionhead's new game (Richter?)
Konami new game (may or may not be 360 exclusive)
Forza 3
Mass Effect 2

Sony
Possible PS3 price drop
Team Ico game
Heavy Rain
Kingdom Hearts 3?
GT5
Uncharted 2
MAG
Seemingly credible PS3 redesign/new color/s rumors recently
Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time
God of War 3

Nintendo
No idea, but I guess there has been speculation about a new Zelda Wii game.

Multi
Cryengine 3 game (very excited for this personally)
Modern Warfare 2
Rumors swirling of a new GTA, possibly even subtitled "Blood and a Four Leaf Clover"
New Bethesda game
Assassins Creed 2
FF13
New Valve game?
MGS5? (May or may not be multi)

Not at the show AFAIK
ID's Rage?

Other:
Shane Bettenhausen claimed there will be two press conference software megatons at the show. My guess is MGS4 360 and GTA Multi.

There also seems to be a trend of companies trying to "beat the rush" and debut before E3. Thus we have a Modern Warfare 2 gameplay showing scheduled for May 24, Uncharted 2 SP footage this friday, and a Konami/Kojipro reveal scheduled for either Friday or Monday depending..

I'm most excited for the various MS game reveals since they've shown so little to date, and the Cryengine 3 game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, I'm just hoping Alan Wake doesn't become the new Duke Nukem Forever. :p

MGS4 on X360 would be a bit of a surprise.

I know some girls that would flip over Kingdom Hearts 3. That would be pretty cool and would sell at least 2-3 PS3's. :D

Wouldn't be surprised if FFXIII got some press during this years E3 either.

Regards,
SB

Hoping for a PS3 price drop, or at least a new SKU which makes the current 80GB cheaper until they are sold out.

Hoping to confirm which games are for sure 2009: Ratchet, Uncharted 2, MAG, ?
What are 2010? ME2, GoW3, GT5, Heavy Rain?

I will only cringe is the 360 gets a motion camera, I'm hoping for some 2009 confirmed titles, it looks pretty dry for 2009. MGS4 would do me no good and I fully expect it after MGS2 last gen, but who hasn't played it yet?

360:
FORZA 3 NOW!!!!!
LP2
Halo: ODST
COD: MW2
Bioshock 2
Mass Effect 2
Anything from Lionhead and Rare
Curious about what Alan Wake actually is
See what the motion camera is and it's execution

On the PS3, Uncharted 2. The rest I don't care about.
Wii Sports Resort and 1:1 motion sensing seems to be the only thing on the Wii that has me excited. Another SMG would be awesome to have.

Capcom revealed (most of) their E3 lineup a few weeks ago:

Dark Void (PS3, 360, PC)
Lost Planet 2 (currently 360, PC)
Dead Rising 2 (will be "behind closed doors")
Spyborgs (Wii)
Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles (Wii)
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP)
Marvel vs Capcom 2 (digital release for PS3, 360)
Fate Unlimited Codes (digital PSP release)
Street Fighter IV (PC)
Bionic Commando (PC)
Mega Man Star Force 3 (DS)
Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil (Wii)
Capcom Mystery Game #1 (playable in booth!)
Capcom Mystery Game #2 (announced at a press conference!)
plus games from Capcom's mobile group, Capcom Interactive!
So, any guesses for the "Mystery Games"? Personally, I'm guessing that one of them is going to be Devil May Cry 5.

I'd so love a 2D XBLA/PSN Strider remake from Capcom, but I dont think thats big enough to be a "mystery game"

Bah damn you. Now you have me wishing someone could somehow make a true to arcade original Darius for XBLA. But that would be impossible as you'd need 2-3 TV sets to display it. The original used 3 high res monitors in the arcade.

Regards,
SB

Personally, I'm hoping for an original action-type Itagaki game.
I'd like to see what he could come up with now that he doesn't have the DOA and Ninja Gaiden legacy to restrict him.

Bayonetta is high on my list of must-see titles.

This might be a tad far fetched...

However I'm wondering if we will see a Win Mobile related announcement.
Yes. Just a minute.. :mrgreen:

Combine the following:

New Zune on the way soon (maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I can't think of another major event in the US it could be announced at)
The Zune team is now part of WinMo
The Zune can currently run a subset of XNA, but only for developers (2D only)
WinMo6.5 is getting a marketplace with a lot of similarities to the XNA marketplace (from a dev perspective)
The WinMo6.5 marketplace is managed code only (I *think*), so XNA would be an easy fit
Where did live anywhere go?
The 'Pink' platform rumors
Rumored Hardware requirements for WinMo7 require high end graphics
General 'handheld xbox' rumors

And you don't really get anything :mrgreen: But come on, Microsoft surely must have noticed that games on the App Store make Apple a lot of money - and more importantly mindshare.

Combine the following:

New Zune on the way soon (maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I can't think of another major event in the US it could be announced at)
WinMo6.5 is getting a marketplace with a lot of similarities to the XNA marketplace (from a dev perspective)
The WinMo6.5 marketplace is managed code only (I *think*), so XNA would be an easy fit

And you don't really get anything :mrgreen: But come on, Microsoft surely must have noticed that games on the App Store make Apple a lot of money.

I'm with you on this one, but I don't want to get my hopes up too much.
I'm in need of a new media player as my old Ipod is really in need of a replacement.

I haven't made a jump to the touch mainly because of price vs HDD-size. I don't really care for the Iphone because I don't think where I'm going to next will carry the service.

If this new Zune HD has the right capacity >60GB for a comparable price--I'll probably be jumping on board.

Combine the following:

And you don't really get anything :mrgreen: But come on, Microsoft surely must have noticed that games on the App Store make Apple a lot of money - and more importantly mindshare.

Do you think Microsoft will be coming out with an iPhone competitor, or that they'll expand the Windows Mobile functionality for its licensees? I think the latter is really likely, the first might be counterproductive.

Do you think Microsoft will be coming out with an iPhone competitor, or that they'll expand the Windows Mobile functionality for its licensees? I think the latter is really likely, the first might be counterproductive.

My gut tells me they'll be looking to present WM7 as a viable gaming platform. With 7 they have a chance to set performance and feature set requirements - which would go a long way to improving WinMo as a platform not just for games. (You need only look at the iphone version of NFS:Underground compared to the WinMo version)

It's long been rumored the Zune software and services will be making it's way to WinMo, and without it, the significant work they did supporting XNA Zune development (with no path to market) really seems totally foolish.

But that's a bit off topic really :mrgreen:

I'm not really interested in a Iphone-like Zune.
I like my phone separate from my media player. Some sort of Wi-Max capability would be cool though.

Think IPod Touch competitor more than IPhone competitor. Because they completely control all aspects of their PMP business this should make it easier to roll out and tweak things as they try to figure out how they can deliver these new capabilities and services in a way that appeals to consumers.

Once MS has all the kinks worked out I would expect them to move towards unifying the two platforms (PMP and Phone) and I would expect them to open the PMP side to their partners rather than bring the phone business in-house.

Combine the following:

TeamXbox rumor from Friday...

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1293227&postcount=49

Tommy McClain

1 vs 100 to be good
Crackdown 2
Zaxxon HD

These are on my list as well.

But I'll add...

xYz/Xboy/Live Anywhere device

Xbox motion controller, I'm not really liking the idea behind the 3D camera with no controller. Maybe it will change my mind, but I'm not hopeful.

I want them to really step up the Live Arcade releases. This only 1 release a week is crap. They need to really overhaul their certification process to allow for way more releases. Here's some I'd like to see on the service...

River Raid
Descent
Tribes
Battlezone(FPS/RTS version)

Hopefully some news on XNA/Community Games. Something more than just Avatar support & update notifications.

Tommy McClain

Add Assassin's Creed 2 to the list. I"m really looking forward to the 2nd one.

I hope if MS is going to show the 3D camera for motion control, it's a really well done implementation and not a "me too!" feature. Like to see more Braid and Castle Crashers like games on XBLA also.

A way to add items to your netflix queue from the 360.

Back