Notebook PC with built-in fuel cell

PC-Engine

Banned
http://www.nec.co.jp/press/en/0306/3002.html

3002.jpg

wow, does this mean we'll have service stations for PC's now?

"I'll take a tank of unleaded for the Ford and 300cc of methanol for my notebook please"

I think this thing uses small recharge cannisters, or something like that, so you're not too far off.

Must be those nano engines. That stuff is going to be great by the time it's widespread and smaller. Think of it... nearly infinite amounts of power.

What's really cool though, is those atomic engines... made of atoms. Some guy is working on taking atoms and putting them together into engine type forms to produce energy. Amazing stuff.

A fuel cell is not an engine. A fuel cell converts chemical energy to electrical energy without going through the intermediate steps heat energy, and mechanical energy. Think of it as a battery that you recharge by pouring new methanol in.

Btw, the link says it runs ~5 hrs on 0.3 litres of 10% methanol. I wonder what the rest is, water? I guess they need a certain concentration to get optimal efficiency on the fuel cell. But it would be nice if you could load it in more concentrated form, and that it mix it to the desired concentration automatically. Just to get more operating time per litre fluid.

Back