Windows 7

Well, I only have one computer, so I couldn't get online to download any drivers ;)

Looks like there aren't any vista drivers anyway.
tut tut.

I had all drivers ready on my second drive (although luckily for me Windows 7 included drivers for everything)

Must be really old if there are no Vista drivers of any sort for it for it though.

Not if your usage is quite random, then you end up prefetching data you dont need

Still, no matter how random your usage is, SOME of the data is still useful and it doesn't slow down rest of the system having useless data cached anyway, the priority on it reading the HDD is low enough not to make a difference

I beg to differ vista is very sluggish for the first 5 minutes after boot on the vista pc's I look after and the hdd light is on more or less constantly for that time

I dunno, it solved the churning problems and I didn't notice any negative side effects until I hit the GTA 4 issue.

the fact your hdd makes noises doesn't mean it's slowing down your system too [wink]
the differences aren't always big, but depending on apps it can be several seconds faster to launch programs with superfetch on

Maybe on your pc
but i actually timed it on a pc i was replacing the dvdrw on
athlon 3000+
768mb ram (probably 1gb ram with 256mb dedicted to graphics) and the hdd light was on from pressing enter on the login screen for 7min 7secs

I beg to differ vista is very sluggish for the first 5 minutes after boot on the vista pc's I look after and the hdd light is on more or less constantly for that time
I agree, but win7 seems snappy/zippy/ready as soon as the desktop is up. I really like that about it.

tut tut.

I had all drivers ready on my second drive (although luckily for me Windows 7 included drivers for everything)

Must be really old if there are no Vista drivers of any sort for it for it though.

Yeah, pretty silly mistake to think I wouldn't have issue with drivers and not be prepared.

It's pretty old ;) Nforce3. It detected everything except the nvidia network. There was an nvidia network driver, but probably for the newer Nforce. It didn't work. Oh well.

I went ahead and did a Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 to Windows 7 x64 Upgrade, not clean install.

Now I'm getting an issue where Catalyst Control Center is not only not starting but I cannot uninstall CCC nor overwrite the ATi drivers using the Win7 Beta drivers.

When trying to overwrite the Installer package hangs on "enumerating source media for installable packages".

Fixed by doing a clean install and using the ATi Windows 7 Beta Drivers.

Also using Windows Live Mail, it looks.. well.. I won't say, but imported everything from my store folder just dandy.

athlon 3000+
768mb ram (probably 1gb ram with 256mb dedicted to graphics) and the hdd light was on from pressing enter on the login screen for 7min 7secs
It should be noted that that system doesn't even meet the posted minimum system requirements of Vista, which themselves are overly conservative.

With 2GB+ of RAM and ideally a non-integrated graphics solution (no matter how crappy), you shouldn't have any issues, and they're givin' that stuff away these days ;)

For what is worth, i've found (finally) a software application that simply refuses to install (either in compatibility mode and/or with elevated administration rights) in Windows 7 Beta 1 x64: Nokia PC Suite 7.1.18.
I actually use it quite a lot, but since the quality of the successive releases from Nokia has been on the low side lately, i'll let this one slide.
It used to work in Vista x64, though.

And Nokia's poor coding is not Microsoft's fault, impressive for a beta (anyone who remembers how awful Vista was at Beta 1 stage should take notice, this one is truly excellent). ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Using it now... and I LOVE IT. Serious improvements everywhere. The one problem I've had is with IE8. For some reason when I go to view a thread on these forums it'll load the page perfectly, briefly show it, then go solid white. Enabling compatability view for this page fixed it. But that is odd.

Edit: Correction, it does this on any vBulletin based board it seems.

the "download now" button on microsoft site doesn't fcking do a thing, duh!
so I've looked at page source, there's the link in it, now downloading with wget.. will be a hour long download.

I want to install it in virtualbox (host is Q6600, 4GB, ubuntu 8.04), only to piss off the über-admin by running a Vista 6.1 desktop :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had that problem too, only with vbulletin forums mind you.

As it's the last thing that loads I would suggest it's something to do with quick reply as that's the last thing to be loaded if I recall.

It's also seems to be an intermitant fault, I was browsing this place for a few hours the other day before it happened here.

I've seen Vista quite sluggish on a laptop (C2D, 2GB), that's a fast PC for sure but while working on it it was totally limited by hard disk I/O.

I want to install it in virtualbox (host is Q6600, 4GB, ubuntu 8.04), only to piss off the über-admin by running a Vista 6.1 desktop :)
I have it (64bit) running i Virtual Box as well. Two problems with that though. You need to run the guest additions in compatibility mode to install it and to get sound working, you need to download drivers directly from Realtek. (There are links on the Virtualbox forum)

Back