Real3d R3D/100, has anyone ever seen it?

Got an email from that person, who gave me in turn an email address from somebody at ATI.

Let's hope there will be a response, since the email address ends at ati.com, I'm not sure those addresses still work.

you sure ? it was a dvd decoder, it did nothing else

It did more, not every function was exploited to the same extent, but it certainly wasn't just a dvd encoder :

The Mpact media engine consists of a media processor and mediaware software modules. The Mpact mediaware modules support all seven multimedia functions:
  1. 2D graphics
  2. 3D gaming
  3. Video compression and decompression
  4. Audio synthesis and compression
  5. Telephony
  6. FAX/modem
  7. Videophone and videoconferencing

thats not the one pictured on ebay though

Sorry, where there more Chromatic Mpacts then? :D

Don't just go by what the ebay listing says.

The Mpact chip could be anything you want it to, because it was completely controlled by software modules. It might have been used exclusively by Compaq and the likes for DVD acceleration, but that certainly doesn't mean it's just a DVD accelerator.

Google it a bit, and you will see.

I think you'll find that the card pictured on ebay couldnt do 2d, no monitor connector if it could why not put one on. a 2d card that requires a seperate 2d card makes no sense
they were supplied with a lot of gateway pc's because dvd decoding wasnt doable in software unless you had a p2 300mhz
creative labs sold a similar dvd decoder card

notice the diference

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you'll find that the card pictured on ebay couldnt do 2d, no monitor connector
they were supplied with a lot of gateway pc's because dvd decoding wasnt doable in software unless you had a p2 300mhz
creative labs sold a similar dvd decoder card

Crap.

Your right. Apologies, that was the one thing I clearly missed. Oh dear. :oops:

I kept thinking of the chip, instead of the board. Even though the chip was perfectly capable of it, the board in this case isn't.

That makes me lol actually, silly me.

The hunt continues for one then, I'm just annoyed with myself now, that I actually bought one of these, not this listing, but another Gateway board. :oops: :oops: :LOL:

The one I used back then was one of the "video card" editions that did it all. It just did it all rather poorly. Now that I ponder it more, I bet it was part of that system to double as a DVD decoder card. This was during the time when DVD drives were just appearing and you needed a decoder card for the system to be able to handle playing a movie.

The one I used back then was one of the "video card" editions that did it all. It just did it all rather poorly. Now that I ponder it more, I bet it was part of that system to double as a DVD decoder card. This was during the time when DVD drives were just appearing and you needed a decoder card for the system to be able to handle playing a movie.

Hopefully mine will be the videocard one. Didn't come with a picture. We will see.

By the way:
I've tested the Oxygen VX1 with the Permedia 3 driver:
The driver exactly is the same. If you have a VX1, it just adds some features (multi CPU) and choosable optimisations for workstation programs.

Game performance should be equally. :smile:

By the way:
I've tested the Oxygen VX1 with the Permedia 3 driver:
The driver exactly is the same. If you have a VX1, it just adds some features (multi CPU) and choosable optimisations for workstation programs.

Game performance should be equally. :smile:

That's great to hear!! :smile:

[EOCF] Tim;1247414 said:
Not exactly, "Thriller Conspiracy" combined a Fujitsu FXG-1 Pinolite geometry processor with a V2200 core to create a card with full T&L, it never properly made it to the market.
In terms of crazy-ass Rendition cards there was also the Jazz Multimedia "Bonnie & Clyde" with detachable bracket and both AGP and PCI connectors on opposite ends of the card. I believe that one actually made it to market in limited numbers some 10 years ago.

Edit: I also have the sources for what was probably the worlds first Glide wrapper (BigRRed for the V2x00) lying around somewhere...

Last edited by a moderator:
In terms of crazy-ass Rendition cards there was also the Jazz Multimedia "Bonnie & Clyde" with detachable bracket and both AGP and PCI connectors on opposite ends of the card. I believe that one actually made it to market in limited numbers some 10 years ago.

Edit: I also have the sources for what was probably the worlds first Glide wrapper (BigRRed for the V2x00) lying around somewhere...

Yea, that was a very odd card, great idea though. I think it made it to market as well yea.

wow, that's quite special what you have there. Anything to work with? Or just some code?

[EOCF] Tim;1250379 said:
wow, that's quite special what you have there. Anything to work with? Or just some code?
There's a compiled DLL too. Runs Unreal. Was mucking about with it way back when using Myth, but I never made significant progress before interest veined as the world moved on. Whatever code I wrote myself are long gone (and knowing me 11 years ago, that's probably just as well).

Yep, it did. Pretty decently too, IIRC. (Caveat: There may be some doubts as to exactly how decently. Memories of 3D hardware from the days of yonder aren't always to be trusted... :))

This was several months before the first "Matrox beta" renderer for Unreal, but with the relevance of Rendition dwindling - and the inability to make it public at the time due to 3dfx - the main developer(s) abandoned it soon thereafter.

I doubt anyone would care nowadays though, so I'll see if I can dig it up if someone wants to take a stab at seeing Unreal run in all its Glide-emulated RRedline glory on a Vérité V2x00 once more...

That Matrox beta renderer for Unreal was a POS. ;) I twas a G200 + Voodoo1 guy at the time. So slow and buggy, the beginning of the chronicles of the awful Unreal D3D renderer era.

I doubt anyone would care nowadays though, so I'll see if I can dig it up if someone wants to take a stab at seeing Unreal run in all its Glide-emulated RRedline glory on a Vérité V2x00 once more...

It would be a major honor to test it!:smile:

I'm collecting Rendition cards and I've got currently a retro PC equipped with a Hercules Thriller 3D (V2200). ;)

Back