Dark Sector Demo Thoughts?

Graphics (9/10): The graphics are very nice, lots of displacement mapping, nice lighting, and some awesome shader’s effects goings on with the water/rain/ground/etc…at a solid 30fps. :cool:

Sound (8/10): Nothing terribly special, some nice thunder cracking with surround sounds.

Gameplay (7/10): Sort of boring, but bearable.

Overall (8/10): A good buy if you want to show off some nice PS3 eye candy, other than that...a good rent.

I played that demo right after a marathon session of Assassin's Creed and my impressions were exactly the opposite of yours. I'm not sure if the contrast biased my opinion but the gameplay was definitely weak and graphics certainly weren't good enough to make up for it.

I bought the game on release day. It's good but I'd only give it a 7/10, it get's a bit repetitive in places, and whilst the glaive is fun to use it's also annoyingly inaccurate. And the machete guys are so frustrating!!

I've played the whole game through Gamefly. Overall, I'd give it a 7.5 on the full scale. Still wish it hadn't changed setting and such.

The shield freaks really ticked me off in the game, but after chapter 7 (I think), I started not caring :p. Also wasn't bad on my second playthrough, especially knowing what weapons to bother with, which ones not to, upgrades, where enemies were and how best to kill bosses, etc.

how on earth do you kill that boss in the Demo??

I used fire I used electricity!! Nothing worked

when you're at the point where he keeps hanging on the posts throwing stuff at you, get your glave on fire and keep throwing it at him. he will fall to the ground... quickly run up to him and perform the "finisher" move by pressing whatever button is on screen. after you do this a couple of times, he will eventually stay on the ground. at this point, i just made sure my glave was on fire and kept throwing it at him and eventually he will die.

Thats weird I went to him and pressed anything I could, nothing appeared to finish him

You know; I rented this game and never finished it because I was so frustrated in how INSANE it was for me to "guess" how to do something in this game. Seriously I spent more time going through the same damn level because they gave NO hints on how to progress.

I spent over an hour fighting that boss, I figured out to use the fire with the glaive right away and that knocked him down..but..then what? I tried knocking him down and then TRYING to get the lighting and hitting him with the glaive while he was down..nothing. Then tried grenades, while he was down..nothing. Then I tried just letting him destroy all the columns..nothing. Then when I finally by chance saw the "Hit O to perform finisher" and he did something I was so frustrated I didn't even get to enjoy "beating" him.

This was prevelant throughout the entire game and if you were frustrated in how impossible it was for you to figure out how to defeat that boss get prepared for the entire game to aggrivate you.

Like when your in a bunker after you get your sheild ability and you get into a room with an old friend and she decides she's going to blow up the building with you in it. The first time I played that level I checked everything, then the bomb gets set and I only have like 1 minute to escape. None of the doors I came through are open and I didn't see any doors that were locked in that level on my initial walk through. BEHOLD in a corner that has NOTHING in it, an escape hatch was now open even though it didn't look like an escape hatch to begin with! I spent again, almost an hour in that level trying everything I could to escape, but didn't go down the EMPTY cooridor that had NOTHING it it orginally because NOTHING it it resembled a door. So I go down the escape hatch and I'm free...Yay

How about that mecca you fight and you hit that SOB with a lightning glaive and he just stands there for a few seconds glowing red. So I thought hey; Ill try and give him a finisher...nothing..he comes alive and I die. So I try everything, fire, electricity; I run around looking for a rocket launcher; NOTHING! I died 6 times trying all this stupid shit until finally I got behind him and it said "hit O to climb into..." WTF!!!! As if I would have even thought to myself "Hey I fought this mecca before and killed it; but you know what would be cool, if for no reason at all I could climb in the thing if I disabled it!!"

I know I could have gotten a walkthrough and you know what, maybe I'm not as smart as I think I am sometimes..but honestly that game just pissed me off to no end! If I would have owned it I would have just broken the game in pieces; thrown it inside a bowl, covered it with milk and enjoyed a Dark Sector breakfast!

I guess I'm done ranting now. :devilish:

Graphics (9/10): The graphics are very nice, lots of displacement mapping, nice lighting, and some awesome shader’s effects goings on with the water/rain/ground/etc…at a solid 30fps. :cool:

Sound (8/10): Nothing terribly special, some nice thunder cracking with surround sounds.

Gameplay (7/10): Sort of boring, but bearable.

Overall (8/10): A good buy if you want to show off some nice PS3 eye candy, other than that...a good rent.

The final game isn't all that great, gameplay becomes more one-dimensional after you have powered up the glaive, it's either imbuing it with fire or lighting and then doing a powerthrow, rinse and repeat ad nauseum. For $60 a PS3 owner is way better off with a AAA gem like Uncharted. I wish the demo came out sooner because I bought Dark Sector, I could have saved myself the money for something more worthwhile.
Indifferent2.gif

This game really pisses me off considering the devs went the easy way out (or should I say sold out?) and made a GeoW clone. The original idea shown in 2005 was so cool.

Played the demo.The pacing, gameplay, blackmarket, all point to RE4 and Gears. Also, some things are just deliberate to slow u down.

Where Can I find what the original Space theme looked like?

Oh.. Ok. It's not just me then.

I guess the rest of you that played the demo in May all played it on the PS3?

I thought the demo was just released for the 360.

Anyway, I'm rather shocked at the execution here. The game looks like it could have been a top notch game. But the fact that they give you NO idea how to do ANYTHING during the demo is beyond belief.

I've even tried searching the web for answers on how to get past certain points in the demo and the majority of the responses were 'Yeah, tried to figure it out.. couldn't, deleted the demo.'

What kind of crappy game design is that?

I think the story (from what I've seen) has possibilities, the weapons are pretty cool, the weapons system is pretty cool, the graphics are fairly good (too dark, but ok.. it sets the mood), but the fact you get no hints or clues or guidance on what to do EVEN IN THE DEMO is just mind blowing.

My complaint here is the exact opposite of my praise for Bioshock, where they provided you with the first level and used that time to not only give you clues about the environment and story but also teach you how to play.

I had no hopes for this game whatsoever, I downloaded it when it became available and just now got around to trying it out because I had nothing better to do.

But any hope I had for this game is completely dashed by comments from Dregun.

My thoughts are the same as Nesh's. Ok. If the actual game is only WORSE than the demo in terms of wasting time trying to figure out exactly what it is they want you to do, screw that.

What is this? A text based game from the 80s where we have to know the exact word to use? No.. No.. No.. You can't OPEN the cabinets. You have to PRY the cabinets.

You know what? Screw you.

/rant

Glad I'm not the only one then...........Played this last night. Big gates, with chain and padlock. Simple says I. I shoot them with pistol, shotgun, machine gun. Hit it with the Glaive. Melee hit it........Waited for a button prompt...........Nothing. It's been a while since a game made me feel stupid but Dark Sector achieved it quite nicely last night..........

I noticed that the 360 demo was out a couple of days ago so i dl'd to give it a try. I must admit, my brian is still wrapped around Devil May Cry 4 - I discovered its awesomeness after being a bit more patient with the PC demo which prompted me to by the 360 version of ebay. Money welll spent but i digress - Having DMC4 on the brain i wasn't at all impressed with Dark Secktor but i might give it another whirl (since month ago i did the same with DMC4 and look what happened now). One thing i have observed about DS is the damn FOV which is a bit weird and not helped by the fact that you are controling the character via a medium long shot......WTF?

Back