[PS3] Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

Probably because there is no online or multi player option. Same as GamerTV. Which is blatantly stupid because it needs neither.

Dunno if this is the place to ask, but does R&C use the Hard drive for streaming like Drakes Fortune seems to do and Heavenly Sword?

I thought about the possibility to stream data from both the BR drive and the Hard drive at the same time.

Come one now, they said all their games will be £39.99.

A full ten quid cheaper than everyone else's RRPs.

That includes "second party" games like Resistance and Motorstorm (and should include Ratchet and Clank too)

There is no "excuse" for Uncharted though, that is first party and it's RRP is £49.99.

I will pay it as they are two great games, but fairs fair, they said they would be £39.99 and now they aren't.

Lots of shops just abuse this to make more profits. All shops in the Netherlands seem to, which is very annoying ... But play.com for instance keeps the proper price:

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/1022508/Ratchet-Clank-Tools-Of-Destruction/Product.html

I picked this game up on Saturday (first PS3 game I bought, despite the fact that I've owned the console for almost 2 months now).

I must say, it's fantastic. I've never played a R&C game before, so I don't know how it compares to previous entries, but I'm really enjoying it. There are only two real negatives I have about it:
- You can't invert aim in the space shooting stages, which makes them almost unplayable for me
- There are way, way too many invisible walls. There will frequently be invisible walls blocking what seem like perfectly logical paths to a location, and instead you have to do some obscure thing to get there instead. Why? If you don't want someone to get somewhere, design the geometry to prevent it, don't slap an invisible wall there. I can't tell you how many fences there are in the game that you can jump higher than which you can't actually get over because above them is an invisible wall. WTF?

Anyway, aside from those complaints, the game is phenominal. I highly recommend it for anyone who has a PS3. There's tons of stuff to do between the levels, bolts, skill points, etc. Well worth the price tag.

just got the game today and threw in about 1-2 hours and i'm loving this game so far. i had to force myself to put down the controller... its truly a blast to play.

Pre-ordered on the strength of the demo. Looking forward to a blast I must say, apart from the fact that it'll be arriving the same day as COD4!

Dunno if this is the place to ask, but does R&C use the Hard drive for streaming like Drakes Fortune seems to do and Heavenly Sword?

I thought about the possibility to stream data from both the BR drive and the Hard drive at the same time.

There's only a 400 MB install, so I'd guess it's minimal.

i'm already 5-6 hours into the game ( i suck in modern game gaming but hey .. :p ) looking forward for my dualshock 3's to arrive next week. this game suports it out of the box

Lots of shops just abuse this to make more profits. All shops in the Netherlands seem to, which is very annoying ... But play.com for instance keeps the proper price:

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/1022508/Ratchet-Clank-Tools-Of-Destruction/Product.html
Used my long forgotten account at Game, had £15 in bonus points for the 360 I bought from them when they launched.

I normally use play though, but in the UK Asda usually have the best prices for games.

There's only a 400 MB install, so I'd guess it's minimal.

This is true but judging by how much disc activity it has during gameplay, they do use it quite extensivly since the HDD is being used about 30% of the time.

The cut scenes are not real time. You can see obvious color banding and compression artifacts. Very minimal but they are there. My observation comes from the opening sequence in the demo so don't shoot me down. I'm not saying that the cut scenes we're not created with the game engine. I'm just saying that the intro movie is pre-compiled.

The cut scenes are not real time. You can see obvious color banding and compression artifacts. Very minimal but they are there. My observation comes from the opening sequence in the demo so don't shoot me down. I'm not saying that the cut scenes we're not created with the game engine. I'm just saying that the intro movie is pre-compiled.

Yeah, the intro, a couple clanks ones in the game, the 2D cutscene sequences, and the ending are obviously compressed video files. It's pretty easy to tell what's realtime and what's not as you go through the game. The realtime stuff is sharper and looks better imho. Also, since the recorded stuff is all done in-engine I personally would rather have some slight load times here and there rather than deal with the compression artifacts (or better compression would be the best of both worlds I guess).

I think I read somewhere (maybe even earlier in this thread or in a link) that 5 of the cutscenes were pre-rendered, and the rest weren't, with the main reason given was that one of the two was better for background loading, really don't know which of the two to be honest. But if those 5 cutscenes happen at the beginning of each new planet/environment, that could be a clue, as from that point on everything is streamed in.

"In engine" does not mean "real time." Some cut scenes certainly will be real time, but any number of them will be produced in-engine, recorded, and played back while it's loading level content in the background. Certainly you wouldn't expect them to HAVE to produce every scrap of cutscene on the fly if you'd then have to wait an undue amount of time for level loading afterward.

I don't know which ones are what in R&C (in general, I find out the second time through when I try to skip the cutscene), but considering how large and beautiful the boards are, and how little "waiting for the level to load" is in there (even with cutscene or transition scene masking), they certainly know what trade-offs to make.

Some cutscene are in realtime, it's easy to spot them cause they are free from compression artifacts, have no motion blur and they also run at 60 fps.

finally beat the game and i really enjoyed it, i would even say it was one of the best games ive ever played. my controller seemed to lose connection a lot during R&C, more so than other games, but other than that, i loved it. currently playing through on Challenge mode.

oh yeah, and imo, R&C implements the sixaxis' motion controls the best out of any game released so far imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't understand this game is selling so poorly.

1 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock Activision 1 798,671 798,671
2 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock Activision 1 271,053 271,053
3 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock Activision 1 254,596 254,596
4 Wii Sports Nintendo 50 146,934 5,873,149
5 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock Activision 1 113,040 113,040
6 Halo 3 Microsoft 6 88,586 4,135,051
7 TimeShift Vivendi 1 78,195 78,195
8 Wii Play Nintendo 38 77,184 2,710,566
9 Naruto: Rise of a Ninja Ubisoft 1 71,233 71,233
10 Manhunt 2 Take 2 1 57,894 57,894
11 Manhunt 2 Take 2 1 51,371 51,371
12 The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass Nintendo 5 50,471 518,375
13 The Simpsons Game EA 1 47,685 47,685
14 Ace Combat 6 Namco 2 45,089 156,145
15 Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction Sony 2 44,548 141,603

http://www.vgchartz.com/aweekly.php

It has good reviews, it had hype, it has stunning graphics and fun gameplay,.... why aren't people picking this game up?

Because up to this point, the biggest market for the R&C game hasn't yet moved on to the PS3. We'll have to wait and see if and how this changes over the Holidays.

Back