"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

SH3's Douglas' model was a great achievement on the PS2. How was the devs able to have such good textures/mapping on that model?

That female character's model from Blade and Soul looks so proportionally wrong :LOL:

SH3's Douglas' model was a great achievement on the PS2. How was the devs able to have such good textures/mapping on that model?

The detail looks pretty good, Silent hill 3 was one of my favorite titles of last Gen, though i would say Resident Evil 4 was on par for raising the bar for characters.

That female character's model from Blade and Soul looks so proportionally wrong :LOL:

yyyyup, though Hyung-Tae Kim's Art is usually accustom to being "proportionally wrong". pic1, pic2, ...:rolleyes:

More Characters From Blade And Soul

[Average character is around 8,000 polygons, (up to 10k max, depending on outfits.)

Blade And Soul - (Female, Yuran) 7,904 polygons, (Art based on the character)
Blade And Soul - (Female, Custom character 2) 8,815 polygons
Blade And Soul - (young male, Custom character ) 7,386 polygons
Blade And Soul - (young male, Custom character 2) 7,931 polygons
Blade And Soul - (young male, Custom character 3) 8,118 polygons
Blade And Soul - (young male, Custom character 4) 8,244 polygons
---------
Magna Carta 2 - Melissa 22,480 polygons

Magna carta 2 seems to show double (or triple) the numbers on the average count.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what do we think typical character models on the PS4/720 will be pushing? 50,000? 100,000? Or because of advanced texturing techniques and mapping, polygons aren't that big a deal anymore. Oh, and are we going to see tessellation play a bigger role?

would you know any of the numbers for the first Ninja Gaiden? I was looking for numbers on the tank and helicopter

Wow, are those some of the highest polygon in-game characters for this generation?

ah great find ! Thanks !

No wonder why it looked so good !

Yes, and it's no prob.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what do we think typical character models on the PS4/720 will be pushing? 50,000? 100,000? Or because of advanced texturing techniques and mapping, polygons aren't that big a deal anymore. Oh, and are we going to see tessellation play a bigger role?

I would say Most likely. all ATI or Nvida chips widely support DX11 features right now. With the help of tessellation developers should be able to work with high poly meshes a lot easier.

with the current gen LOD switching has been the most used technique whenever a high poly character is ever needed for specific detail. tessellation makes LOD switching more seamless, and makes use of resources by just using one mesh to increase (or decrease) polys.

Jesus christ O_O

.....I know the feeling.

would you know any of the numbers for the first Ninja Gaiden? I was looking for numbers on the tank and helicopter

I can't seem to find anything yet on the first game. btw, These models that I obtained i believe are xbox rips.

I also have some details on Ninja Gaiden 2 for xbox 360 here.
http://www.autodesk.co.jp/adsk/serv...13990&siteID=1169823&remoteContentID=13781465

also a pic on Sonia's face mesh by the developers.
dw2ano.jpg

Wow, are those some of the highest polygon in-game characters for this generation?

Not yet sure, i'm still left in the dark for a few games, but you could say for the Xbox 360 and PS3 yes so far. for The WII-U Bayonetta 2 may show higher figures.

In regards to Bayonetta 2, it could possibly be a "timed" WII-U title, since Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge was published by Nintendo as well.
30xeuk9.jpg

http://gamersyde.com/news_tgs_trailer_of_ninja_gaiden_3_re-13355_en.html
but that has yet to be seen.

I made a comparison of Sonia's face mesh to bridge the two versions just in case some may doubt the authenticity of the mesh I used for the numbers.

Here is the comparison (top is from the studio, bottom is the extracted model i used.) I don't tamper with any of the models i get, though some of them may require to be constructed. (like Halo Reach and DOA 5.)
and here is an other Momiji picture from NG3. (Here)

It amazes me how many polygons Tecmo allocates to its character models. I think its overkill considering the style of their character art.
It certainly doesnt show. DMC4's models looked more detailed than Ninja Gaiden 3's, Tekken Tag 2's characters also look much higher in terms of geometry compared to DOA but its actually the other way around and by a long shot

It amazes me how many polygons Tecmo allocates to its character models. I think its overkill considering the style of their character art.
It certainly doesnt show. DMC4's models looked more detailed than Ninja Gaiden 3's, Tekken Tag 2's characters also look much higher in terms of geometry compared to DOA but its actually the other way around and by a long shot

It's really hard to actually tell on the outside how many polys a character is, considering every polygon is allocated based on the developer's choice. (like alan wake having 70% of it's polys used on their heads, and LA noire using 70% on their bodies ....yet they still weigh the same as a total.)

Though Bells and whistles is usually what does it. the knot on Momigi's back is actually more polys than her arms. and also, In the aspects of performance, raw geometry can out perform textures... especially when you're working with limited memory. when you enable HD texture sizes with detailed surface maps (and ect, along with the frame buffer size) you're usually cutting your performance 40%.

You are oversimplifying things here... Unfortunately I'm far too busy to get into a lengthy post correcting you :(

You are oversimplifying things here... Unfortunately I'm far too busy to get into a lengthy post correcting you :(

you can give an hr long lecture on it but to me it seems to narrow down to artistic choice or purpose; placing detail on characters vs environment treatment, or focusing rounder detail on "objects" that they think need it.

some game engines perform better than others while handling higher mesh sizes, that could be it too or excessive usage on normal mapping. but If you can give a better explanation why Tecmo allocates more polygons to its character models without looking it than i can, then you're welcome to elaborate on your explanation.

I've seen more or less on the models i've had of this gen to see the simple logic behind it, enough to summarize it.

I just got the magazine that covers the Witcher 3; it says it's currently running on the witcher 2's tech but they plan to add up to date dx11 features to it. they said "it's going to be taken to a truly next level."

among other things the magazine also quoted about next gen hardware -
CD Projekt RED is keeping mum about any platforms the witcher 3 is in development other than PC, but the company has confirmed that it will launch on whatever console platforms are most powerful when it comes out next year.

so it's PS4 and Xbox3 bound.

I just got the magazine that covers the Witcher 3; it says it's currently running on the witcher 2's tech but they plan to add up to date dx11 features to it. they said "it's going to be taken to a truly next level."

among other things the magazine also quoted about next gen hardware -

so it's PS4 and Xbox3 bound.

Can we get any polygon count numbers for Witcher 1 and 2? From what I've seen, the 360 version Witcher 2 looks very faithful to the PC version.

Can we get any polygon count numbers for Witcher 1 and 2? From what I've seen, the 360 version Witcher 2 looks very faithful to the PC version.

I found Geralt from the first game but as for The Witcher 2, nothing else picks up other than the models i already posted a while back. (found here)

Polygon Numbers For Three Titles.
The Witcher - Geralt 10,875 polygons
Star Ocean: The Last Hope - Arumat 15,712 polygons
Anarchy Reigns - Mathilda 15,908 polygons

that's all i have for the time being; till next time.

Back