New Resident Evil 5 trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21514.html

It looks really neat but one thing is bugging me: The games are no longer about zombies, and more about crazy people going crazy for whatever ridiculous reason. That's what was completely stupid about 4. It really subtracts from the genre. In fact, the devs have practically written themselves into a hole, and the only way they can actually make the game about zombies is to remake an old one.

It looks really neat but one thing is bugging me: The games are no longer about zombies, and more about crazy people going crazy for whatever ridiculous reason. That's what was completely stupid about 4. It really subtracts from the genre. In fact, the devs have practically written themselves into a hole, and the only way they can actually make the game about zombies is to remake an old one.

well imho re games were not ever strictly about just zombies, the series has been a mix of cheap action/scifi flick type drama, japanese horrorfest designs and conceptual dark, moody atmosphere elements.

as for the trailer: the graphics look ace as expected, the new locations offer new exciting possibilities (evil zombie mutants in north africa, simply awesome!)

simply cannot wait for this one

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it is time to put the zombies to rest, perhaps crazy humans will be smarter atleast? :LOL:

Image 1 in large size.
Image 2 in large size.
Image 3 in large size.
RE5small1.jpg

RE5small2.jpg

RE5small3.jpg

I'm going to kill the first zombie in the next game about game designers ... This whole zombie thing has been done to death already, thank god we're back to man-infested-aliens ...

Honestly, who cares? I personally think it's much more cool in terms of gameplay if you can't tell from a mile away who is coming at you next. Even the movie Alien itself was quite cool in that respect.

Yeah I'm not exactly sure what you mean by crazy people....the villagers and such from RE4 were still zombies, maybe not in the traditional sense but I think they provided for a much more engaging and exciting experience. The zombies from RE0-3 and Code Veronica had their time but ultimately they're just too stupid and boring to be bothered with really.

I'm going to kill the first zombie in the next game about game designers ... This whole zombie thing has been done to death already, thank god we're back to man-infested-aliens ... .
well i won't let you ;) dead rising was an awesome experience (admitedly litlle bit flawed) that showed bashing zombies still can be fun.
return to topic: mark my words gamers this game is going to be the one, capcom's finest next gen game!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hasn't it always been about Umbrella corp. "experimenting" with drugs not specifically zombies?

that pretty much gives them scope to do anything they like.

I haven't played 4 long enough to see if Umbrella are in it though so maybe they abandoned that angle?

Hasn't it always been about Umbrella corp. "experimenting" with drugs not specifically zombies?

that pretty much gives them scope to do anything they like.

I haven't played 4 long enough to see if Umbrella are in it though so maybe they abandoned that angle?

What? That's illogical. 3/4 games featured zombies and THEN they decide to break into technicalities involving a broader spectrum? The mobs in 4 pretty much just beat you up or attacked you with weapons, instead of mangling you, or ultimately eating you. 4 was a failed concept because it took away from the close quarters that made these games frightening. The entire "nowhere to run" angle was what made these games. In fact I'll even go as far to say Silent Hill wasn't as creepy when you spent your time running around outside looking for streets.

I didn't say it makes sense, but it's gives them the option to take it in a different direction quite easily.

Dead Rising, now there's a game that screams zombie at you.

Maybe they think Resident Evil and Dead Rising shouldn't be occupying the same space in the market.

I didn't say it makes sense, but it's gives them the option to take it in a different direction quite easily.

Dead Rising, now there's a game that screams zombie at you.

Maybe they think Resident Evil and Dead Rising shouldn't be occupying the same space in the market.

That's a possibility. Don't get me wrong I love Dead Rising, but it was far too unoriginal. SO unoriginal it actually had to feature a disclaimer on the cover of the box stating it wasn't affiliated with "Dawn of the Dead."

But in all fairness the RE series came first. In fact I'd be hard pressed to actually think of another game that would be considered "survival horror" that predates RE. Alone in the Dark maybe.

New details from IGN

This part sounded really cool:

Previously, Takeuchi has spoken about the importance of light in the game. In this latest interview, he offered an example of how light will play a role. Say Chris enters a doorless building. The surroundings are bright and the interior is dark, so it takes Chris a few moments to adapt before he can see. The game will replicate this, along with the opposite effect of going into a bright area after being in the dark for an extended period. This is where you can expect to encounter some of the series' trademark fear, this time from the inability to aim or see.

Cant wait to see it :D

That's a possibility. Don't get me wrong I love Dead Rising, but it was far too unoriginal. SO unoriginal it actually had to feature a disclaimer on the cover of the box stating it wasn't affiliated with "Dawn of the Dead."

But in all fairness the RE series came first. In fact I'd be hard pressed to actually think of another game that would be considered "survival horror" that predates RE. Alone in the Dark maybe.

What?

There's truck loads of em..

Especially if you've been a PC, Amiga or Commodore gamer..

Ever heard of Phantasmagoria?

Or even earlier..

Night Breed?

I am not a fan of zombies either. In RE4 enemies are quick enough to run, but when they come near they go to slow motion mode, which bugged me even more than zombies.

Anyway, there is a 720p sizzle video on PSN, it shows part of the trailer.
Indoor environments without massive amount of sunlight look like PS2 game in HD.

Chris(?) looks way more artificial than the enemies who don't suffer from lack of SSS, thanks to skin color.
And of course, lot's of cleverly used prebaked lighting.
High contrast HDR may stress the eyes.

That's all the bad I can think of right now. :)

Cut-scene or not it looks unbelievably good, capturing realism better than any shooter I have ever seen.

The surroundings are bright and the interior is dark, so it takes Chris a few moments to adapt before he can see. The game will replicate this, along with the opposite effect of going into a bright area after being in the dark for an extended period. This is where you can expect to encounter some of the series' trademark fear, this time from the inability to aim or see.
I hope they don't exaggarate the effect just so they can mask some load times or something like that, like the opening of doors in the old RE games.
In real life it doesn't take that long to adust your eyes from light to dark. I don't think the time for eyes to adjust can even be counted in seconds, so for gameplay it would have little effect if done realistically.
Dunno, I've always disliked the games trying to reproduce phenomenoms of the eye or camera during gameplay; lens flare, motion blur, depth of field.... It's me already watching the game with my own eyes, the irises of my eyes do the tricks already.

I've seen Far Cry's version of it, though its already been years since that game came out so I would like to see it on a much more recent game (let alone a different genre ;) )

I don't think the time for eyes to adjust can even be counted in seconds, so for gameplay it would have little effect if done realistically.

That depends on whether or not you're getting your vitamins and nutrients. ;)

Personally, waking up in the middle of the night and turning on the lights can hurt for about 10 seconds if I manage to keep my eyes open. Longer if I'm blinking madly. So ya, the character would have to be in pitch black for awhile for there to be a significant visual impairment when moving outside.

I hope they don't exaggarate the effect just so they can mask some load times or something like that, like the opening of doors in the old RE games.
In real life it doesn't take that long to adust your eyes from light to dark. I don't think the time for eyes to adjust can even be counted in seconds, so for gameplay it would have little effect if done realistically.
Dunno, I've always disliked the games trying to reproduce phenomenoms of the eye or camera during gameplay; lens flare, motion blur, depth of field.... It's me already watching the game with my own eyes, the irises of my eyes do the tricks already.

I've come in from the snow to a darkly lit house and been unable to see fine details in the darker areas for 10-20 seconds before.

The better use for this would be with a flashlight, though. If you are in a dark room, you might not be able to make out details, but you can see movement and big picture stuff (ie. looks like something bed shaped is over there, that thing in the corner might be a desk...). Turn on a flashlight and you can see color and detail, but anything out of the light might as well not be there (this is mostly for larger areas, since in a small room the light will reflect off walls).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back