What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering buying Age of Conan. Has anyone played it? Is it worth it? I'm hearing a lot of mixed reviews about it.

Don't it's horrible. Like really REALLY bad. Worst MMORPG I've ever played. Disney's Toon Town is more fun to play than this. Asheron's Call 2 was more fun. Hell I think WoW is more fun and I hate WoW.

I'll put it this way. If you LOVED twisting songs as a Bard in EQ1 you might like the combat in this game. It's a lovely carpal tunnel syndrome button mash fest. At high level's you'll need to hit approximately 4-5 buttons just to get ONE attack skill off. And if you hit lag spike? Forget it, there goes your 5 min cool down uber skill wasted as you couldn't hit the buttons in time in the right order due to packetloss making the server not notice that you actually did hit the button you were supposed to.

It's too bad because the graphics really are very nice. And they could have done a lot with the source material.

And combat is just pointlessly tedious now. Their original concept was cool. Where combos would dynamically flow into whatever skill you finally triggered with the last button of the combo.

Now, it's just a bastardization of the original idea. Where instead of the skill being triggered by the combo you do, instead you trigger the skill then have to successfully mash buttons in order in a small time limit to have the skill actually go off.

Regards,
SB

I'm considering buying Age of Conan. Has anyone played it? Is it worth it? I'm hearing a lot of mixed reviews about it.

Everyone I knew in the game quit within the first free month so my comments are all based on launch code. But the game was wildly unready and I'm not certain that 6 months of patches would give it near the polished of any decent MMO. And it's about as Conan-ish as any generic MMO with the name Conan. No use of Howard's work and once off the isle of Tortage, it was an empty, utterly boring sandbox of respawned mobs. The game might've felt fun back in 1998, but Funcom really screwed themselves launching the game so far from being finished.

Finally gathered my balls to play FEAR and I am not disappointed. I had some problems with the game at first but after I defragged my system, I am able to play it without problems at full settings and man it is a good looking game! The action is awesome and I am loving every minute of it though right now I am a bit low on them health packs hehe! The sound is quite awesome but there are some weird audio glitches I get once in a while when things just start sounding like foghorns lol. I looked around if there were any patches after 1.08 or something but I get the feeling that is the latest patch.

Defense Grid: The Awakening.
The Longest Journey. Will play Dreamfall after finishing the first one.
Shadowgrounds Survivor.

Yes, I have a credit card and spend on Steam. :)

A shame about Australian Steam pricing now though.

$70us for fallout3 on Steam, or the standard $50us on gamersgate...hmm, tough one.

There are many games selling on Steam about $20 USD, but are sold at about $80 - $100 in retails stores in Australia. I will wait until Fallout 3 drops to the $30-$50 price range, in the mean time I can buy GRAW2 and Unreal Tournament 3, etc...

I really would like to see more Indie games.

Year old games I wasn't interested enough in to buy up to a year ago? I want to play Fear2 and DoW2. :)

More indies can't be a bad thing. Or obscure European games.

A shame about Australian Steam pricing now though.

$70us for fallout3 on Steam, or the standard $50us on gamersgate...hmm, tough one.

How about almost 80-freaking-dollars for Left 4 Dead? I've ordered it cheap off eBay, because I'm not paying such a ridiculous price for an obviously half-finished game :rolleyes:

(But it is a fun game!)

How about almost 80-freaking-dollars for Left 4 Dead? I've ordered it cheap off eBay, because I'm not paying such a ridiculous price for an obviously half-finished game :rolleyes:

(But it is a fun game!)

o_O I don't suggest buying any MMO's then. A good MMO is never finished. A finished MMO has no users.

Regards
SB

o_O I don't suggest buying any MMO's then. A good MMO is never finished. A finished MMO has no users.
The difference with a good MMO, however, is that a good MMO is at least polished. An obviously unfinished single-player game is just....unsatisfying. While a polished MMO is excellent because it means that you have further improvements to look forward to.

The difference with a good MMO, however, is that a good MMO is at least polished. An obviously unfinished single-player game is just....unsatisfying. While a polished MMO is excellent because it means that you have further improvements to look forward to.

No arguments there. :) I'm trying to remember the last unfinished single player game I finished or even played and I can't. The experience must have been so horrible that I've already wiped my memory clear of it.

On that note, I've started looking at getting System Shock II running in vista with the new 32 bit graphics patch, increased poly models patch, increased model texture and world texture patches.

But finding that it may be a bit difficult to get running on Vista 64. Although it sounds like recently they've made a lot of progress in that. Crossing my fingers. One of the greatest games ever made.

Regards,
SB

No arguments there. :) I'm trying to remember the last unfinished single player game I finished or even played and I can't. The experience must have been so horrible that I've already wiped my memory clear of it.
The last one I played was Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II. That game really pissed me off because it was so awesome to start with (even though slightly rough around the edges), and then about midway through just descended into the depths of shit.

If you want something like wow, avoid it like the plague. If you want an action mmo with the fastest combat you can get, lots of strafing and battles that can end in less than a 30 secs, then this is the game for you.

I'm playing 7 months now and having a blast. I won't lie. There are still bugs in the game after all that time. But to me the combat is involving and fast paced. It's as much action as it is rpg.
All that provided you like free world pvp. I'm mostly a pvp player. The pve aspects, although good, don't interest me as much :)

Also have in mind, that the game is not very equipment based. A blue armor can give you a little boost, but thats it. A purple, a little more, but a skilled player can take you down if you don't know how to play your character. In fact, a skilled player 5-6 levels lower can kill you for fun even if you have epic gear.

The last one I played was Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II. That game really pissed me off because it was so awesome to start with (even though slightly rough around the edges), and then about midway through just descended into the depths of shit.

It was a shame with kotorII... It felt unfinished, and it probably was!!!

It was a shame with kotorII... It felt unfinished, and it probably was!!!
It most definitely was. Basically, the Obsidian devs were forced to finish it inside one year. They did manage to get a game out that was actually playable, but it's just blatantly obvious that many things were left unfinished.

It most definitely was. Basically, the Obsidian devs were forced to finish it inside one year. They did manage to get a game out that was actually playable, but it's just blatantly obvious that many things were left unfinished.

It doesn't help that Obsidian is one of those companies that even from the BIS days releases their games some 3 months away from being fully polished.

It doesn't help that Obsidian is one of those companies that even from the BIS days releases their games some 3 months away from being fully polished.
True, but this isn't even a question of polish. The content just falls away, quite dramatically, towards the end. It lacks polish too, but the lack of content is possibly even more jarring, most especially if you look up the content that was developed but not actually incorporated into the final game.

I am, however, seriously considering going back and playing the game again after installing this:
http://www.team-gizka.org/

In some ways, I'm actually pretty impressed that they were able to do what they did with the game in just a year. But that still doesn't mean I enjoy playing it past about halfway through. Perhaps the above project will help, if it ever gets released.

Today I picked up
beyond good and evil
nexus the jupiter incident for £1.29
and
R-Factor Special Edition 2008 brand new from pc-world guess how much...
1p yay...............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back