If you could remake any game you want to a next-gen game what would it be?

Cruisin USA
Killer Instinct
Mario Kart (arcade was nice but even this could be improved with todays (HD) consoles... nm
Shinobi (no that was not a proper remake)
ESWAT
Power Drift

...for now...

chrono trigger
blast corps

edit - just watched some blast corps movies, still some of the best explosions ive ever seen, and non an n64.

Blaster Master
Strider
Mega-man
R-Type
Blazing Lazers
Rastan (arcade)

Last edited by a moderator:
chrono trigger
blast corps

edit - just watched some blast corps movies, still some of the best explosions ive ever seen, and non an n64.

I forgot about that game! I remember being so excited for that game when I first heard about it... That could be pretty interesting to see a sequel or remake of. It had a pretty terrible and simple plot if I remember... a runaway train with some bomb on it where the only solution was to just destroy everything that was in the way so it never crashed -- thinking back on it, it's almost comically bad... it sure was fun though.

Shinobi (the one for the Genesis)

Oni (potential for greatness not QUITE realized)

Golgo 13 (NES)

Tribes:Vengeance (loved it the first time, what the hell ;) )

Mafia (ultimate eye-candy)

If we're just talking graphically, my answer would be different, but if by "next-gen" you mean updating the gameplay, taking advantage of modern conventions, putting in online feature by the dozen, my answer is definite...

Archon.

Star Control II follows closely behind. ;) But I think Archon would be more universally entertaining and SC2 appealing to a smaller audience.

(I believe I may be showing my age with this. Ah, well...)

A proper Star Control sequel would be awesome. SC3 was stinky. Seemed unfinished. And unbalanced - the Droog were too powerful.

Hired Guns was great, but probably superceded now to the point a remake wouldn't fetch you anything. Four player co-op shooting (and at each other too when the mood took!) like that would be fantastic of it's not out there already in some form.

A lot of Amiga classics would do well as remakes. Turrican springs to mind, as does Populous. God games have become too complicated. Nothings got the same appeal as Populous II IMO.

Going older, I don't think 8 bit titles have any gameplay that warrants a remake. eg. Atic Atac or Manic Miner/JSW, were great in their day, but how boring are they now?! All the fancy graphics in the world can't make a game more interesting than 10 minutes worth of fun. And if you change the formula to make it more fun, you no longer have a remake but a new game that just shares the name, like the latest Gauntlet versus the original.

Easily Resident Evil 2 and the original Silent Hill. I was really excited when Capcom revamped the original RE on GC, thinking by defualt they'd do the same with the sequels. Silent Hill, for obvious reasons from the technology standpoint, would look great with what shadows are capable of doing and world transformation technology.

Shadowrun (Sega) - something along the lines of a sandbox game like GTA etc. I'd prefer a strong single player component, but an MMO would fit just as well in terms of updating the core content as the timeline progresses or meeting other 'runners and forming groups, joining gangs, corporations etc.

Killer Instinct - there is certainly the power to create high quality models ...

Final Fantasy 6 - in 3D, fully orchestrated music, and maybe a fun mini-extra game that explains who the heck gogo is.

Baldur's Gate 2
Fallout 2
All old Lucasarts adventures like Monkey Island series and Dig (at least as a Live Arcade game :) )
Eye of Beholder

Back