The Official RV630/RV610 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
of course I was talking about addin boards GPU on desktop business. Laptop and integrated are other stories, they involve for example co-hardware development.
But they are, are they not, usually derived from the same hardware (ASIC) and software base as the desktop parts, yet the co-development usually leads to longer qualification lead times, yes?

well, I can say that because I sold GPUs to Tiers one OEMs and I know validation time process. For example, final qualification at HP for back-to-school is early June with final hardware and shipments must start early July. Only chance for AMD is to have in the 2 coming weeks final hardware and final software working perfectly with HP bundle and passing strict HP compatibility tests. Looking at the messy/buggy actual R600 drivers, I don't see how they can fix it in 2 weeks. In this business, where shipment capacity (we talk about millions pcs in one month) and schedule execution are keys to success. The guys who make decisions at HP don't like to take any risk and they don't live on promises. If they feel it has a single risk of choosing AMD, they will always chose the secured option.
is it enough argument for you ? :cool:

I've moved this threadlet to a more appropriate thread. Hopefully everyone who's interested in it will be able to find it.

Thanks for the dates, I always wondered. Care to put similiar milestone dates around Holiday shopping systems?

Dunno what to say about drivers, other than it occurs to me to think that if they are working on laptops already they've got reasonable confidence/knowledge in them.

Re the dates, I do wonder if possibly RV630/610 channel avail got pushed back to late June in order to fulfill the OEMs of the world first at the kind of volumes you're pointing at. The old ATI was famous for its OEM service sensibilities and relationships, and indeed it's pretty clear that's one of the things AMD found attractive about them.

But they are, are they not, usually derived from the same hardware (ASIC) and software base as the desktop parts, yet the co-development usually leads to longer qualification lead times, yes?

yes that's right

Thanks for the dates, I always wondered. Care to put similiar milestone dates around Holiday shopping systems?

Dunno what to say about drivers, other than it occurs to me to think that if they are working on laptops already they've got reasonable confidence/knowledge in them.

Re the dates, I do wonder if possibly RV630/610 channel avail got pushed back to late June in order to fulfill the OEMs of the world first at the kind of volumes you're pointing at. The old ATI was famous for its OEM service sensibilities and relationships, and indeed it's pretty clear that's one of the things AMD found attractive about them.
1) the lead time is always the same. Final qualification is nearly 3 months before products reach the stores and supplier shipments must start 6-8 weeks before it. Of course I'm talking about traditional Tiers Ones with brick-and-mortar strategy like HP. For Dell and his direct e-sales business model, lead time should be shorter.

2) Regarding fulfill OEM orders before retail channel, it's always the case, and even more on mid-range market ! OEMs are the core of the business and where high volume is. And ATI was always very OEM oriented (sometimes even too much...). So your remark is pertinent.

Everybody that can check the HP business line notebooks (Compaq) know that ATI will ship the !!!X2600 in it's high end business model, nV has the mobile workstation cards (FX570M, NVS320M, FX1600M) with ati only offering the FireGLV5200 there and the rest (that's 90%+) is for intel (X3100.)
All AMD based business notebooks are shipped with mobile X1250's. Mid range notebooks will ship with X2300.

Roadmaps don't show any G8X or Rv6xx cards showing up the the largest markets out there.. not until Q4'07 at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everybody that can check the HP business line notebooks (Compaq) know that ATI will ship the !!!X2600 in it's high end business model, nV has the mobile workstation cards (FX570M, NVS320M, FX1600M) with ati only offering the FireGLV5200 there and the rest (that's 90%+) is for intel (X3100.)
All AMD based business notebooks are shipped with mobile X1250's. Mid range notebooks will ship with X2300.

Roadmaps don't show any G8X or Rv6xx cards showing up the the largest markets out there.. not until Q4'07 at least.

There is a preview on that HP Laptop from Laptopmag.com that I posted some week ago...
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=984178&postcount=357
First sight of Mobility HD2600 preview...
Laptopmag on HP Pavilion HDX Entertainment Notebook PC preview

LaptopMag said:
We expected to see high scores from the HDX, and we weren't disappointed. This preproduction model wouldn't run PCMark05, but its 3DMark03 score of 12,240 and 3DMark06 score of 4,002 mean this system can plow through graphics-intensive applications. Strangely, the HDX notched 31 fps on our F.E.A.R gaming test on autodetect, and 26 fps with the settings maxed out. (We suspect this subpar showing might be a driver issue related to Windows Vista.)

The test results from that preview is not bad at all ;)

I'm talking about the business models here, not the Pavilion home users.

HP is almost doubling their production of AMD based models for the business environment which is basically only good for IGP business.

I'm talking about the business models here, not the Pavilion home users.

HP is almost doubling their production of AMD based models for the business environment which is basically only good for IGP business.

Thanks you, I mis-read the model you refered to. However, I think the performance figure expected would be the same. So, that preview results from the LaptopMag might give us an insight to what we may expect from the X2600 mobility then.

As far as I remembered, you owned HP NW8440 (same as mine :p ), I would like to as if you may upgrade to the new HP with DX10 laptop?

Thanks you, I mis-read the model you refered to. However, I think the performance figure expected would be the same. So, that preview results from the LaptopMag might give us an insight to what we may expect from the X2600 mobility then.
X would still define DX9, I haven't seen any DX10 accelerators in the business line-up for this year.

As far as I remembered, you owned HP NW8440 (same as mine :p ), I would like to as if you may upgrade to the new HP with DX10 laptop?

i've got an nx9420 which is indeed the same laptop (just 17" widescreen)

Why cant AGP just die?

Many user still use AGP platform and has socket939 agp motherboard, what is support dual core cpu's, this cards still can be perfect for the users who not want pay a bunch of money for the platform change, and cheap can get some serious power, this users not enhusiast users this is why so many people not understand why AGP platform not going to sleep.

Asrock has a AGP motherboard with dual/quad core2duo cpu support.

I think this is still not the last station for AGP, and we see rv670 AGP cards later this year ;)

Yes I've heard the "AGP is still good" line before. I musta had a momentary lapse in judgement to publically state that a dead BUS should just die ((knowing I'd bring out the AGP junkies )). I still think theres no reason to hold onto AGP these days. I honestly dont see how AMD as a platform company could not want to divert people to PCIE at this point. AGP is such a step backwards.

Many user still use AGP platform and has socket939 agp motherboard, what is support dual core cpu's, this cards still can be perfect for the users who not want pay a bunch of money for the platform change, and cheap can get some serious power, this users not enhusiast users this is why so many people not understand why AGP platform not going to sleep.

Asrock has a AGP motherboard with dual/quad core2duo cpu support.

I think this is still not the last station for AGP, and we see rv670 AGP cards later this year ;)

QFT. Some of us just cant afford to jump ship. Im an AGP junkie myself, so this is good news for us. Been using this AGP machine for a long time now. But i guess this 6800GT and the 3ghz northwood is getting pretty damn old now :LOL:

I dont like beating the dead horse.. again and.. again but one day ill jump ship!

Developers can not use the backchannel features in their DX10-paths, because there a still cards outside, which "do not support" this feature and have to be regarded.

I still not understand what you mean exactly as backchannel features? :cry:
Try last time, and when i still not understand i give up :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back