A litle rant, off topic console

pakotlar

Banned
Not to brag, but I just picked up a 360 premium, vga adapter + optical cable, pgr3 for 270 bucks (Microcenter deal). Thats what i call a good deal, and 200 is about as much as I consider reasonable for a game system, considering games are 50-60 bucks. That being said, the x360 online features, mce features, divx, music, video etc features won me over. XBLA is amazing, and I have barely touched PGR3. I've just been playing demos and XBLA and watching movies. Fantastic system. I really don't see how Sony can compete, until they can get the kind of entertainment coherency that X360 offers. Even my mom is thinking of getting one, for HD-DVD and all those little arcade games that she likes (bejewled, etc).

This is my first next-gen console since xbox (aka first one I bought within a year of launch), but I sold that because at the time it had nothing that interested me. PS2 didnt catch my attention beyond MGS2 (which is my favorite game of all time). When I was in Microcenter, I walked past an x360 kisok which was playing FN3, and then to another kiosk which was playing COD3. Since they were running this X360 deal, I figured both were for Xbox. Graphics looked like just what I expected on x360. Nope, it was a PS3 kiosk. Looked decidedly "just ok", including the lack of AF (like eh?). This got me thinking about the importance of graphics for a system. Honestly, after playign x360, I have to say that, while I'm impressed with the graphics, if the other system features werent there, I would probably return the system.

So far, I've played a bunch of demos, and PGR3, and I'm having the most fun with Tony Hawk and Burnout. Dead Rising is cool too. I can't wait to play GOW as well. Oh and Lost Planet is simply fantastic. But the graphics are decidedly less of a jump this generation than last. It's not that they don't look more impressive, because they do. But the change in fidelity isn't THAT huge. I remember going from Genesis to N64. That was a big jump. The first time I played it was a pre-release version running Mario 64 about 6 months before launch. I mean that was such a big jump over what was available (Playstation was top of the line, Genesis SNES where PS2 is now) that the graphics made a difference to the experience. Now they add very little. I find myself more interested in new game ideas (saw a kid play Rayman Raving Rabbits or whatever its called in Microcenter) than old ones with enhanced graphics.

So I guess this rant has no more of a point that this: X360 vs. PS3 comes down to the features beyond the graphical fidelity for me. The question is: how much fun can I get out of the system, and how much cool stuff can I do with it (that is pertinent to my lifestyle). I feel Microsoft won out here because of the cohesivness of their package. Live, MCE, Video Marketplace, XBLA, and Demos are so well done that when I have the system on, I feel like I'm on a entertainment computer, not a game console. I don't want to turn it off after I'm done playing my game. The graphics are probably the least impressive thing about it. Now, I haven't tried PS3, but from what I've heard, Sony hasn't caught up in the total package department. The graphics will be great sure, but I guess, I'm asking,

How important are graphics to you guys?

You are at Beyond3D. I think the answer to that question is self appearant! :p

But no, a console is about tastes and choices. What works for you may not work for me. A person's access to broadband and tolerance for online gaming, interested in movies, or has a specific taste for certain games will make decisions accordingly. There are so many factors... but I would say it is safe to say that graphics are at least slightly important to most of the posters here.

Reactions: Geo
They are important under the proper art direction and right gameplay elements. If its just visuals like "ooooo shinier cars, better parallax mapping" etc No I wont care. Thats why 360 1st gen games really made me feel like it was more of the same XBOX games just under a dull beautiful skin. DOA4, PGR3(although its marvelous to look at), PDZ and Kameo werent all that special for me. When I saw Kameo for the first time I even wondered why people drooled all over it.

What interests me on PS3 right now are certain games coming on it, that promise superb visuals combined with great art direction and gameplay. Also the SIXAXIS is another thing that makes me want to get one. And I am expecting the extra entartainment features to improve. Oh and they are free. 360's media "package" wasnt perfect either during its launch.

I dont mind other entertainment features being perfect as long as they are there and functionable though.

But so far 360 is getting some pretty awesome games, and some great games are already available and its cheaper. Its a huge leap compared to what it was in 2005. Viva Pinata and GoW are two games I d rush to get a 360 for and not only. Too bad I have no money. I still havent decided which console to get.

In terms of visuals, multiplatform games are always the last I d go for. I am not interested on COD3, FN3 or other titles. Its always the exclusives. And both 360 and PS3 are going to have mindblowing exclusives that stand out in the visual and gameplay department. These are usually the games with the best art direction as well. I think GoW is a huge jump though. But I wouldnt say the same for Lost Planet.

You are at Beyond3D. I think the answer to that question is self appearant! :p

Actually, if i may, i believe the (obvious) goal of the this site is to delve beyond the simple eye candy and into the actual technical aspects and function of any given graphic hardware as it advances. Under the hood so to speak. If you want to get specific, graphics to people here should be skin deep with GPU structure making up the meat. Infact we should have a monthly test on the innards and workings of graphics chips and perma-ban those that fail. Or i suppose they can be beaten by the other members with PCBs....those are getting heavy enough these days. Make it an optional punishment for sure. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah and Id say that is perfectly fair. To be honest I wasnt very impressed with the x360 in the first couple months once either. It took the last year of maturity to flesh it out. We have to expect that it is going to take Sony about that long too, although I would have to agree with the people that say that they really should have gotten it more together for day one. I'm looking to see something for both systems like ICO and MGS2 did for PS2 (just to give 2 examples, there are a few others on that level). I don't want Splinter Cell 5,6,7 because they will probably be pretty much the same as 1,2,3. I want bioshock, resident evil 5, bioware's new ip, etc.

I'm looking forward to what PS3 can do with that controller, though I have to say I would miss rumble greatly.

On the other hand, I just tried MK3 Ultimate, and my god I finally understand what people mean when they say that the 360's dpad sucks. I would buy that theoretical "pro" controller that microsoft surveyed, just for the better dpad. They really should fix the damn thing on the standard controller though.

What else ?

Last edited by a moderator:
That was supposed to be a rant? Needs more agressivity to be one!

400-Text-Logo.jpg

Next question, please.

Now, I haven't tried PS3, but from what I've heard, Sony hasn't caught up in the total package department.
XB360's MCE is only of use if you have a (Media) PC, which adds a fair few hundred dollars to the package of an all round entertainment device. If PS3 gets the system upgrades that are expected, including things like TiVo functionality, pricewise there won't be anything to touch it for an all-round entertainment box. So going beyond just the games and considering the whole entertainment deal, I don't see PS3 at any disadvantage, eventually.

As mentioned, give PS3 a chance to get established with it's own mini games (and from what little has been shown so far, the quality for the price is looking excellent there) and proper OS (multitasking!) etc., and then it'll be a fair comparison. Of course Sony should have had all this in place from day one, but massive projects invariably overrun deadlines, especially where computers are involved!

Even though we're on B3D, I think it's ok to put away the graphics ones in a while. For me, the 360 is a mature platform with a LOT to offer than just pretty graphics.

I really like that I can stream my music and videos from the PC without having Media Center or modifying my console. It's the little touches that really do it for me. Like full screen visualizations when playing music and you can control them with the joysticks (how many have tried that? :p ) Examples such as that can be found throughout the console. Playing your music while you game and or mess around in the dashboard is great! as are the amazing download speeds of marketplace content. Invite a friend to co-op on Gears and the voice chat auto starts and we're good to go. Market place is great. I like that I can demo a lot of the new games and demo all the "live arcade" games. Then you have video marketplace. It just goes on and on and on. The most important factor in having all this functionaly is transparency to the end user. You don't have to think. It simply works and works rather well.

A few friends got theirs this holiday season and each one continues to be impressed with all it does. Hardware aside, the backend software and services of the 360 to me are just as valuable as the games.

Are there things that I would like to see improved. Absolutely. Nothing is perfect and no the 360 does not come close but it offers me the best overall entertainment experience available for $400 and that I can't beat. At the end of the day, it's all about me being entertained.

Trying a Lost Planet online match right now. Pretty fucking cool. I've been a almost strictly PC gamer for a while, and I have to say this is a lot of fun, and exceeding my expectations.

XB360's MCE is only of use if you have a (Media) PC, which adds a fair few hundred dollars to the package of an all round entertainment device

It's been a varying degree actually. It started out you needed Windows media center edition, I think, which was really stupid. Then it became you just needed Windows media connect, now you just need Windows media player 11. And in fact, you can now use a non-ms program altogether in tversity. And if you get Vista, which theoretically most people will be switched too within a couple years, that'll work.

They should have just made it interface with standard XP from the get go. Really stupid not too...

It's been a varying degree actually. It started out you needed Windows media center edition, I think, which was really stupid. Then it became you just needed Windows media connect, now you just need Windows media player 11. And in fact, you can now use a non-ms program altogether in tversity. And if you get Vista, which theoretically most people will be switched too within a couple years, that'll work.

They should have just made it interface with standard XP from the get go. Really stupid not too...

I would like to further qualify that, I had been streaming music from my Mac, within a month of buying the 360 (I can't remember the program I originally ran, but now I am running Connect360) Music and photos have always been from xp or mce, it is video that required MCE2005. I'm currently running Vista Ultimate and it gives the 360 a completely different interface than it had with MCE2005, its a benefit of it being an extender. This is why in the blade there is a difference between Connect to a Computer and Connect to a Media Center Computer, while they can be the same machine, all of my music and photos are on my Mac and obviously my media center is my Vista box.

I like the PS3 alot, but the 360 definitely shows its maturity in its non-gaming aspects.

As an aside: I agree with Vysez, that rant needs some work, at least drop an expletive in there somewhere ;)

I would like to further qualify that, I had been streaming music from my Mac, within a month of buying the 360 (I can't remember the program I originally ran, but now I am running Connect360) Music and photos have always been from xp or mce, it is video that required MCE2005. I'm currently running Vista Ultimate and it gives the 360 a completely different interface than it had with MCE2005, its a benefit of it being an extender. This is why in the blade there is a difference between Connect to a Computer and Connect to a Media Center Computer, while they can be the same machine, all of my music and photos are on my Mac and obviously my media center is my Vista box.

I like the PS3 alot, but the 360 definitely shows its maturity in its non-gaming aspects.

As an aside: I agree with Vysez, that rant needs some work, at least drop an expletive in there somewhere ;)

A new interface you say??? That I didn't know! That's excellent news, I went out to try and find a couple screens, it looks pretty nice:
feat_newmce_music.jpg

feat_newmce_tv.jpg

Personally, whilst graphics are an important part of the experience, it's the gameplay I'm after. And I can't say that I'm overly impressed with the 360 so far. GOW was a pretty game, though short, and the action was quite intense. It just got very repetitive after awhile, COD3 seemed to be a step down from COD2. The fancy graphics trying to bury a game that wasn't as fullfiling as it's predecessor.

And I still get annoyed with invisible walls, and scenery you get stuck on. Kind of ruins the experience. :(

On a side note:

This months edge magazine seems to completely sum up my opinion on the current state of next gen. The 360 is that last step in the evolution of the Playstation to XBox, and yes, it's the next gen of that family of machines. The PS3 and Wii are the roots of a whole new family and experience and in that category comparisons between the 360 and the Wii/ PS3 don't exist.

Graphics are no longer the measuring point for consoles, as they are no longer just gaming machines. They have become, far more than before, hubs for entertainment in all forms and as such can no longer be judged on games alone.

The 360 is that last step in the evolution of the Playstation to XBox, and yes, it's the next gen of that family of machines. The PS3 and Wii are the roots of a whole new family and experience and in that category comparisons between the 360 and the Wii/ PS3 don't exist.

Please explain. Are you saying that the 360 is really the best console of last generation and the PS3 and wii are "true" next gen systems? I absolutely and in both a qualified and unqualified sense disagree with you. But maybe I dont understand what you are saying... so I am asking for a little more info...

This months edge magazine seems to completely sum up my opinion on the current state of next gen. The 360 is that last step in the evolution of the Playstation to XBox, and yes, it's the next gen of that family of machines. The PS3 and Wii are the roots of a whole new family and experience and in that category comparisons between the 360 and the Wii/ PS3 don't exist.
In what way does PS3 differentiate itself from being like XB360? There's not a great deal that PS3 offers at the moment that XB360 can't compare with.

In what way does PS3 differentiate itself from being like XB360? There's not a great deal that PS3 offers at the moment that XB360 can't compare with.

Having played around with the PS3 for a week now, it's got a long way to go to catch up before even thinking about exceeding in any of these capabilities. Right now, I feel like a beta tester much less a user. Simply put, for generic users it's too complicated and cluttered. Even for me, it's been frustrating. It's not seamless. It's actually made me appreciate the 360 more for it's end user transparency.

Luckily most of the issues should be correctable by software updates but sometimes software is written is such a way that it limits itself. We'll see how it goes. The one clear advantage MS has is an over abundance of software experience and engineers and right now, that clearly shows.

Personally, whilst graphics are an important part of the experience, it's the gameplay I'm after. And I can't say that I'm overly impressed with the 360 so far. GOW was a pretty game, though short, and the action was quite intense. It just got very repetitive after awhile, COD3 seemed to be a step down from COD2. The fancy graphics trying to bury a game that wasn't as fullfiling as it's predecessor.

And I still get annoyed with invisible walls, and scenery you get stuck on. Kind of ruins the experience. :(

On a side note:

Graphics are no longer the measuring point for consoles, as they are no longer just gaming machines. They have become, far more than before, hubs for entertainment in all forms and as such can no longer be judged on games alone.

Is it possible for you to supply the exact wording, from which you draw such sentiments, or a page number, I would like to read it myself.

Shifty Geezer said:
In what way does PS3 differentiate itself from being like XB360?
How about target audience. So far it hasn't changed at all since XBox1, and that was always dramatically more limited then PS target audience.
Not that there's any guarantee PS3 will keep up with PS legacy either - it probably already has more FPS type of games announced for it then the rest of Playstations combined.

How about target audience. So far it hasn't changed at all since XBox1, and that was always dramatically more limited then PS target audience.
Not that there's any guarantee PS3 will keep up with PS legacy either - it probably already has more FPS type of games announced for it then the rest of Playstations combined.

I shudder to think of a PS1 FPS ;) , are there any btw? Can't remember any of the top of my head. PS2 wasn't so hot for FPS either. So I think it's only logical PS3 would have more, since it's actually capable of, you know, running them decently.

Right now the hottest games on the PS3 are racers, FPS, and sports games. These are the same genres that people complained about on the Xbox.

Back