PS3 Controller "features"

but being that the ps3 controller is charged via usb, I dont see why you couldnt from a computer.

I would be completely shocked if it couldn't charge from a PC, as that would imply that they put extra effort and expense into the controller to make it so it wouldn't. I just can't picture them making that effort when all you are doing is charging it.

I'm sorry but not being able to replace the battery is not accetable to me. Even on somehting minor like it running out of power in the moddle of a game? On the 360 I have the option of sticking some regular double A batteries in until my battery pack can finish charging.

You certianly should not be forced to buy a new controller if the battery refuses to charge. The design on this seems rushed and not very though out imo. Not everyone wants to sit so close to the TV so a cable can be plugged in. Even more so if you own a big tv.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be completely shocked if it couldn't charge from a PC, as that would imply that they put extra effort and expense into the controller to make it so it wouldn't. I just can't picture them making that effort when all you are doing is charging it.

Now that i think about it, i wonder how much time will pass before someone releases some kind of homebrew drivers to use the sixaxis on the pc.

I'm sorry but not being able to replace the battery is not accetable to me. Even on somehting minor like it running out of power in the moddle of a game? On the 360 I have the option of sticking some regular double A batteries in until my battery pack can finish charging.

But how much more expensive is buying a second controller compared to getting a set of AA batteries, an external battery charging pack, and so on? 10-15 bucks? And the more controllers you have, the more you have to plan and rotate your charging. Instead, with the PS3 you just get 2 controllers, and you always have the choice to play with one while the other is charging, you can hook up one on the USB for a while when you're playing with two at the same time and one controller happens to run out, and if you're on your own even with just the one controller you won't need a separate charger, but instead you can just leave the PS3 controller on the USB port while you're not playing, or while you're playing, or hook it up to another computer or PC ... heck, I wouldn't be surprised if you could even charge the PS3 controller by hooking it up to a 360.

You certianly should not be forced to buy a new controller if the battery refuses to charge. The design on this seems rushed and not very though out imo. Not everyone wants to sit so close to the TV so a cable can be plugged in. Even more so if you own a big tv.

Wouldn't that depend on the cable?

(Seriously though, why are you even reading these threads?)

Now that i think about it, i wonder how much time will pass before someone releases some kind of homebrew drivers to use the sixaxis on the pc.

If it's like the 360 controller then the USB cable will just be for charging and the controller itself still works in a wireless mode regardless of the USB cable being present.

So you would need a Bluetooth reciever in your PC to even think about using the Sixaxis with the PC.

A bluetooth dongle and some homebrew could probably get it running on a PC, but I wont be waiting for that. :LOL:

But how much more expensive is buying a second controller compared to getting a set of AA batteries, an external battery charging pack, and so on? 10-15 bucks?

More like $25+ based on 360 inflated accessories prices for their rechargable battery pack ($11.99 MSRP).

If it's like the 360 controller then the USB cable will just be for charging and the controller itself still works in a wireless mode regardless of the USB cable being present.

So you would need a Bluetooth reciever in your PC to even think about using the Sixaxis with the PC.
It'd be a really stupid design if your controller ran out of the power to transmit Bluetooth and didn't work even if you connected it to the USB since it still tried to use Bluetooth...

It'd be a really stupid design if your controller ran out of the power to transmit Bluetooth and didn't work even if you connected it to the USB since it still tried to use Bluetooth...

It would be really stupid of the controller didn't transmit via Bluetooth if the charging cable was plugged in.

I can assure you it's easier to switch power sources than it is to switch controller connection output devices.

I don't see why it would matter that the battery isn't replaceable... it's a Li-Ion battery most likely with likely a couple thousand charges before any issues happen (and it's got a quick charge time from what I've heard -- 3 hours for 30 hours). If the controller stops taking a charge, you've got a bunk controller that should be replaced anyways -- just like if a button stopped working.

I don't see why it would matter that the battery isn't replaceable... it's a Li-Ion battery most likely with likely a couple thousand charges before any issues happen.
From what I remember, the average half-life of a Li-Ion rechargeable was 500 cycles. I don't know if that's been improve much of late. I expect after 500 recharges, the DS3 controller will be at around 15 hours per charge.

Assuming linear degredation, that'll be about 108 seconds less per recharge. Although you aren't supposed to let Li-Ion's run completely flat IIRC. And with my basic maths skills, I compute 11,250 hours of play time before the halflife of the battery is reached. At 3 hours a day, that'll be 3750 days, or 10 years.

Probably not much of an issue then, if my maths holds up!

From what I remember, the average half-life of a Li-Ion rechargeable was 500 cycles. I don't know if that's been improve much of late. I expect after 500 recharges, the DS3 controller will be at around 15 hours per charge.

Assuming linear degredation, that'll be about 108 seconds less per recharge. Although you aren't supposed to let Li-Ion's run completely flat IIRC. And with my basic maths skills, I compute 11,250 hours of play time before the halflife of the battery is reached. At 3 hours a day, that'll be 3750 days, or 10 years.

Probably not much of an issue then, if my maths holds up!

Maybe it is like ~500 charges, not sure on that.

Any Li-Ion made now days won't allow you to actually drain it completely flat, from what I understand (since that'd actually be dangerous to the battery, iirc -- can't remember the exact reason). Just like they won't let you overcharge them (past a certain point -- hitting too high V will hasten battery wall corrosion and destroy the battery, I think). Regardless, battery seems like a non issue.

I'm quite happy with the stated 3 hour charge time! I wonder if it has the 3 min -> 3 hour quick charge in these batteries (like a lot of their mp3 players and such)... regardless 3 hours for full charge is quite nice.

But how much more expensive is buying a second controller compared to getting a set of AA batteries, an external battery charging pack, and so on? 10-15 bucks? And the more controllers you have, the more you have to plan and rotate your charging. Instead, with the PS3 you just get 2 controllers, and you always have the choice to play with one while the other is charging, you can hook up one on the USB for a while when you're playing with two at the same time and one controller happens to run out, and if you're on your own even with just the one controller you won't need a separate charger, but instead you can just leave the PS3 controller on the USB port while you're not playing, or while you're playing, or hook it up to another computer or PC ... heck, I wouldn't be surprised if you could even charge the PS3 controller by hooking it up to a 360.

you're comparing buying a set of battiers to buying a new controller? seriously you can't be serious. What if you only have ONE controller? why would someone have two if they didn't plan on using both at the same time? that seems to be a unreasonable waste of money for those more interested saving money. Why shoudl you have to toss a controller becuase the battery can't charge. If you want to take it to the extreme, it's like buying a new Ipod becuase the battery can't charge. not a reasonable thing to do.

btw if it's just usb, like the 360 recharge cable, then you can hook it up to any usb powered device for charging.

Wouldn't that depend on the cable?
well if you have only one controller, and the battery dies during a game, and you have to play with it plugged in, you will probably need to move closer to the console and/or TV. I'm sure this recharge cable isn't made to be as long as the original xbox cables. that would be one long ass USB cord.

(Seriously though, why are you even reading these threads?)
What kind of bullshit question is that? becuase I plan on buying a PS3 at some point. I'm not allowed to forumlate an opinion on something I don't agree with? when I'm ready to buy a PS3 I hope they have better controllers with replaceable batteries.

But how much more expensive is buying a second controller compared to getting a set of AA batteries, an external battery charging pack, and so on? 10-15 bucks? And the more controllers you have, the more you have to plan and rotate your charging.
Ummmm... I think you're missing the mark a little here. The point was not that there are problems with recharging, but that if the battery fails completely, there's nothing you can do about it, which is not exactly super-rare, but not very common either. Assuming it's some sort of lithium pack, that implies it will survive hundreds of recharge cycles unless the battery itself has some defect. And AFAIK, if the battery fails completely, all that means is that you can't use it in wireless mode.

I think that leads to some things that are somewhat out of proportion, but not necessarily out of line. Yeah, having a replaceable battery pack is theoretically cheaper, but I don't think it would work out that way in practice -- i.e. they may just create some proprietary battery pack and apply some price-fixing. It worked that way with the memory cards before, if you remember. Maybe that's a little cynical on my end, but I see it working out the same either way in terms of cost to the consumer.

Actually let me phrase it another way. I'm just dissapointed to see sony come out with something like the new sixasix controllers that has less function then the competition, while arriving a year later. Sony had a year to look at what Xbox has and copy/and or one up them in every aspect. In some areas they have manged to do this, but in others ( like the controllers lacking rumble and now the battery pack replacement) isn't a good thing imo.

You don't really have to buy a second controller. You can just charge the thing overnight (I do that with my phone and it's still working fine after, err, 18 months). 15h or even 30h playing sessions aren't good for your health anyway ;)
When the battery really is dead, you can just imagine you're buying a new battery that somehow costs 40$ and has a controller wrapped around it. That isn't so bad a deal IMO. Everyone everywhere gets shafted for replacement LiIon batteries, and that one will have the additional console accessory markup.

But it will live at least two years before you need to worry about that IMO.

Actually let me phrase it another way. I'm just dissapointed to see sony come out with something like the new sixasix controllers that has less function then the competition

lets see...
+standard wireless included (no wired controller)
+standard built in recharge battery (meaning no purchasing batteries)
+motion sensing tech
+cheaper price (AFAWK)
+bluetooth
+familiar USB cable attachment
-no rumble
-cant take battery out

Do you honestly see yourself gaming more than 30 hours at a time? Charge it over night and problem solved. We can worry about dead batteries when that day comes, regardless if it will be covered in a warranty. I suppose it depends on the person in this situation, making what some see a positive into a negative.

lets see...
+motion sensing tech
+cheaper price (AFAWK)
+bluetooth
-no rumble
-cant take battery out

Do you honestly see yourself gaming more than 30 hours at a time? Charge it over night and problem solved. We can worry about dead batteries when that day comes, regardless if it will be covered in a warranty. I suppose it depends on the person in this situation, making what some see a positive into a negative.

How are bluetooth and "familiar usb cable attachment" improvements and/or pluses? Just curious.

From my experience with Bluetooth it is very laggy and not very responsive. I hope this is some new implementation of it.

How are bluetooth and "familiar usb cable attachment" improvements and/or pluses? Just curious.

From my experience with Bluetooth it is very laggy and not very responsive. I hope this is some new implementation of it.

May I ask you what were the bluetooth devices you used?

lets see...
+motion sensing tech
+cheaper price (AFAWK)
+bluetooth
-no rumble
-cant take battery out

Mainly I'm talking about lacking a feature like allowing people to use double AA's or rechargeable AA's. But I'll play along. for the sixaxis I would list it like this.

+motion sensing tech
+cheaper price (AFAWK)
+bluetooth
-no rumble
- cant take battery out, use AA's or rechargeable AA's
- have to replace controller if batter can't charge

For the 360 controller I would list it like this.

+standard wireless or wired controller
+Accets AA's, rechargeable AA's or recharge battery (meaning no new controller if you battery has problems)
+Rumble standard
+cheaper price (AFAWK)
+Wireless tech
+USB cable for recharging or purchase a rapid standalone recharger
- no motion sensing
- need to purchase or recharge batteries

I don't game more than 30 hours at a time currently yet I've run out of battery power in the middle of a game more than once. probably 5 or 6 times. covered in a warrenty? come on, I don't see any reason that is a valid way to look at this. Sony should be giving the option of using different types of batteries in those controllers and they should be replaceable. I don't care if they are 10 bucks less. You shouldn't have to toss or be forced to plug in (a permenant situation) a controller because the battery can't charge.

Back