any news about RSX?

The final specifications would be very nice, but I agree with Megadrive that the internal organization of the GPU's pipelines and various components are more significant. It's also interesting to note that the RSX is getting a good bit of praise lately from developers. Of course very few technical details are being given if any, but in a recent IGN article about the game Lair a developer claimed it could create any graphical effect ever imagined by mankind. Obviously, we should not read too much into that because it's just a vague statement. But it's nice developers in general are pretty satisfied with the RSX.

Here are a few quotes from the IGN article I referenced. It's not anything solid, but it's at least interesting to read.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/733/733921p2.html

There is the GPU, which is so flexible due to the parallel Vertex and Shader units that you can implement any effect ever dreamt of in several ways.

In terms of shaders I could go on for a while -- you'll find everything that is possible right now and a few cool new ones. Our fire is not made out of pre-baked textures but is a real-time simulation running on RSX, we have advanced parallax shaders, volumetric clouds, fog, and smoke, real-time rain, wetness, lava, fur, and much, much more.

@500 MHz that gives RSX 4000 Mpixels/sec, with 4x anti-aliasing that 4000 Mpixels/s becomes about 2000 Mpixels/sec

@650 MHZ that gives RSX 20.6Gbytes/sec of framebuffer

those too low?

RSX specs i know.

550 core using 256 mb gddr3 128 bit memory interface 700 mhz 22.4gb babdwidth.

24 pixel pipelines 4 vertex pipelines.

74.8 billion shader operations/second 100 billion with cells help 1.1 billion vertices/second.

RSX walks on thin ice so it would seem.
I dare say all consoles are 'skating on thin ice.' They've all got finite hardware, and there gets a point where devs have to squeeze performance out of it. But they always seem to manage that somehow or other.

A 500 MHZ G-70-esque part can produce priceless things in a closed environment. I hope the inner working of it gets displayed... :smile:

I dare say all consoles are 'skating on thin ice.' They've all got finite hardware, and there gets a point where devs have to squeeze performance out of it. But they always seem to manage that somehow or other.

One things for sure, what ever RSX is Sony is not saying. From the looks of TGS the extra 8-10 months with the hardware has given many devleopers a chance to polish the look of their games.

The good thing about huge delays is that something somewhere is getting polished. If it's not the hardware, then it's the software. These people aren't just sitting there waiting for the thing to be released, so if the hardware is the same as it's been for a year or so, then the software is getting some major polishing.

Regarding the games we're seeing "downgraded", and here i'm talking about Factor5, i say shame to the developers for teasing people with unreacheable CGI. I don't even consider them "downgrades" because that would mean that the devs actually showed us real games which were later on downgraded. That's not the case. There was obviously nothing to begin with apart from CGI, so nothing could be "downgraded". Our expectations were downgraded, and our opinion of the developers definitely were downgraded too!

All the above could change of course, but from the latest pictures and videos of LAIR, that's what i think at the moment.

The good thing about huge delays is that something somewhere is getting polished. If it's not the hardware, then it's the software. These people aren't just sitting there waiting for the thing to be released, so if the hardware is the same as it's been for a year or so, then the software is getting some major polishing.

Regarding the games we're seeing "downgraded", and here i'm talking about Factor5, i say shame to the developers for teasing people with unreacheable CGI. I don't even consider them "downgrades" because that would mean that the devs actually showed us real games which were later on downgraded. That's not the case. There was obviously nothing to begin with apart from CGI, so nothing could be "downgraded". Our expectations were downgraded, and our opinion of the developers definitely were downgraded too!

All the above could change of course, but from the latest pictures and videos of LAIR, that's what i think at the moment.

Wow, this is really tearing you up! I think if they "up" the res for textures then it could reach the realtime demo.

Game Watch has thrown its hat into the ring about RSX (in Japanese of course :():
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060925/3d_tgs.htm

I thought it interesting enough to post because it includes the 'rumoured' clock speed reductions in its comparison, although it does state that the specifications are in part presumptions made by the author. No G80 surprises there for the conspiracy theorists, sorry.

NDA's are never lifted in this business. Stuff covered in NDA's is only talked about when it's been announced by the company holding the NDA. eg. Devs can't say 'there's a Cell processor in PS3 with 7 working SPEs' until Sony have announced there's as such. That's why devs are a pretty useless source of information!

If only the Daily Mail had as much interested in consoles as they do the Royal Family, we'd get journalists infiltrating and giving us all the goss'!

If anything I would say the PS3 must have a pretty significant RSX to produce so many great looking games and trailers. What's even more stunning is that some of these games are reaching 1080P which consumes more system resources. Then there is the Afrika trailer which absolutely blew me away.

Once again, I want to say that I'm not that interested in a 50MHz upgrade or downgrade. I'm much more interested in the internal workings of this GPU and the optimizations that make different from a common PC part. I do want to say that a common PC part is not a bad thing, but the PS3 is a closed environment.

The one rumor I have read circulating around the net that sounds pretty credible is that the RSX would utilize some ammount of extra cache. Of course that is probably just one of many internal optimizations.

Back