400 K ps3 in USA, 100 K ps3 in Japan at launch

That would mean that the production magically steps up 3 TIMES what's been up till launch..... Not sure how that would happen...

Apparently they have a capacity of about 1.000.000 PS3s per Month. Ken just said that production would start late September. That means they should be able to create 1.000.000 in October, ditto in November, and again in December.

In theory, anyway. Now, there are at least two plants. So, they may start the first run with only one plant, so it is easier to check whether they are doing it right and fix something (I know that one plant is more flexible for adjustments than the other).

That would mean 500.000 per month, which would result in about 1.5 million by the end of the year, depending on when the other factory kicks in.

Alternatively, the blue diode shortage may hold them back. In the first month, maybe they will only have enough blue diodes for 500.000, but as the blue diode production picks up, this number can increase. Say, building up like 500.000, 700.000, 900.000, totalling 2.100.000.

Finally, I don't know how much time it takes a PS3 to get from the plant to the shops. Probably not too long, but if it is two weeks, then that would mean half a month's worth of production, which could be as much as 500.000.

so basicly , this is a 1 year delay , coming from spring 2006 ...

No. When the Spring launch date was announced, nothing was said about Europe or a worldwide launch, and virtually everyone assumed that Europe wouldn't get the PS3 before March 2007. We were very pleasantly surprised when we heard about the global launch, because it actually meant we were getting the PS3 sooner than anticipated. Now, that's been taken away again, which is very disappointing.

Finally, I don't know how much time it takes a PS3 to get from the plant to the shops. Probably not too long, but if it is two weeks, then that would mean half a month's worth of production, which could be as much as 500.000.

If you have to ship them by boat from your factories in China/Taiwan, easily 6+ weeks.

If you have to ship them by air, much faster, but you can only ship a trickle of units by air, even if you hire every cargo plane you can (MS discovered this ;)), and it costs you $$$$$$$$$.

Finally, I don't know how much time it takes a PS3 to get from the plant to the shops.

Depends. They can pay out the ass to air freight them. This is what microsoft had no choice but to do in the early days of 360.

By boat is the cost effective way to ship them, but takes 4-8 weeks.
________
VAPORIZER REVIEW

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, with 1 million units reduction, this is essentially one month delay + paper launch in November in the US and Japan, and 4 months delay in EU.

Well, that's the absolute best case scenario yes.

Considering they can only make 500k in Sept and Oct, I don't see how they'll suddenly jump to 1million/month in November, definately very unlikely.

Worst case scenario production slips into october and they are royally screwed for the Nov 17 launch date.

I do think that them beginning production in Sept shows confidence in their manufacturing output, but damn is that ever cutting it close to the wire. Any delays at all in that timeline, and that means trouble.

I think if Sony doesn't get enough units to the US in time for holidays they're gonna learn the same lesson that 360 learned, holiday buyers are not interested in spending $400+ on a console in the spring/summer.

chances that pirates hijack that boat to america and sell shoe thousends of ps3's on the black market in europe?

He actually said that their forecast was for a little more than 2m. That probably means 1m in the US, 1.2m in Japan.

It probably makes sense to have lower day one figure in Japan also (given the circumstances) since they can ship more frequently and cheaply to stores there subsequently than they can to the US.

chances that pirates hijack that boat to america and sell shoe thousends of ps3's on the black market in europe?

Well, I tried to give my friend Cpt. Jack Sparrow a call. But somehow I can't reach him, I wonder where he is... :LOL:

it takes weeks for large ships to cross CHINA = USA (is that boats or ships ? )

MS has spent a small fortune on transporting X360s with Jumbo Jets. They're fast but it seems that they can carry a surprisingly low amount of boxes, I've read about the exact number of airplanes used and it suggests only maybe ten to fifteen thousand consoles per flight, perhaps even less.

Honestly, can you believe anything Sony says by now?
You believe 400K/100K shipments in US/JP, don't you? ;)

Believe it or not, Kutaragi also said at the press conference today that mass production for 65nm Cell is in sight and they'd up the PS3 production to 1.2 million units per month from Jan 2007 to compensate the delay. Their initial private target was 7.5 million units before March 2007. According to Nikkei the culprit of the delay is Sony Shiroishi Semiconductor that manufactures blue-violet laser diodes. Initial shipment to the US is by airplanes, and shipment to EU is by boats. The delay in EU was due to its distance from manufacturing places and localization of softwares.
http://itpro.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/NEWS/20060906/247387/?ST=newtech&P=1

Back